Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, so many things go wrong when a non-lawyer tries to play lawyer.
And yet the flood gates are opened after the decision and there is no going back

Most of us can all see it and admit it

So you’re proposal is that SU should cheat and not follow the NIL rules. Then what happens IF SU were to get caught and nailed? Then everyone can blame JB and JW. Sounds like the perfect plan for some.
We’re not “cheating” hard enough or smart enough. The top dogs are “cheating” their butts off, with plenty of cover, winning championships, then get slapped on the wrist because they’re too big to fail. We’re cheating lightly or just being careless (e.g. drug testing), not really reaping anything of substance, and have a coach that antagonizes those who set the rules which makes it easy to throw the book at us.

I put cheating in quotes because who really knows what’s going to be permissible when the dust settles in 5-10 years? We need a new university position created to sort this mess out.

Don't post often, but in this case, I suppose I've been negatively inspired to respond... Back in the day, one of the wonderful things about college basketball was that it wasn't like professional sports. It didn't matter if you rooted for a relatively smallish private college in a small-market city in upstate New York. You still had a chance to be a national power (at least in basketball) and your team could compete at a high level year in and year out because - at least ostensibly - you didn't have to have deep pockets and/or be from a large state university in order to consistently succeed. It was possible through hard work, smart recruiting, and player development to create a somewhat level playing field.
But with NIL, all of that has definitely changed. This situation parallels what transpired years ago for many of the small-market teams in professional sports. Full disclosure, I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan, a once-proud franchise that has fallen on hard times (until very recently:) because of a variety of reasons, including of course the fact that the bankroll for their players is not nearly so thick as the Dodgers, Mets and Yankees of the baseball world. But at least there has always been the ability to draft good players (although that has continuously eluded the O's until the last few years). Now whether or not small-market professional teams could ultimately hold on to their players after drafting them, that was an entirely different matter, what with free agency. Yet even so, you nonetheless had a chance to compete for the best players.
That is not the case with an NIL system in which teenagers can reportedly become millionaires - unless you have the alumni and business connections that are willing to toss out the cash, car, etc., opportunities. To date, that does not seem to be the case for Syracuse. We have in essence become a small-market college team, which means the likelihood of regularly competing in college athletics is going to become more and more difficult. So alas, not only am I an Orioles fan, but I am also an Orange fan, and that does not bode well.
I'm afraid my only solace is that I'm quite certain there are a number of Syracuse fans who are also Yankee fans, and now those Yankee fans are perhaps beginning to experience what it's like when your team is not supported by a bottomless well of big bucks. I'm not saying that success for SU basketball or football is an impossibility, but I don't think what we've done so far is going to come close to solving our future problems.
Many apologies for this much-too-bitter and far-too-lengthy diatribe. I guess I'm just another Abe Simpson shaking my fist at the clouds. But this emotional ventilation did help ... a little lol. And I'll still be watching tomorrow, hoping that maybe our football team can pull off an upset!!!

I dont get it, we have the first or second largest attendance every year. We have a lucrative ACC TV deal.

Why cant we compete with NIL $$$ ??????
You understand that money belongs to the school, which can't pay NIL

Don't post often, but in this case, I suppose I've been negatively inspired to respond... Back in the day, one of the wonderful things about college basketball was that it wasn't like professional sports. It didn't matter if you rooted for a relatively smallish private college in a small-market city in upstate New York. You still had a chance to be a national power (at least in basketball) and your team could compete at a high level year in and year out because - at least ostensibly - you didn't have to have deep pockets and/or be from a large state university in order to consistently succeed. It was possible through hard work, smart recruiting, and player development to create a somewhat level playing field.
But with NIL, all of that has definitely changed. This situation parallels what transpired years ago for many of the small-market teams in professional sports. Full disclosure, I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan, a once-proud franchise that has fallen on hard times (until very recently:) because of a variety of reasons, including of course the fact that the bankroll for their players is not nearly so thick as the Dodgers, Mets and Yankees of the baseball world. But at least there has always been the ability to draft good players (although that has continuously eluded the O's until the last few years). Now whether or not small-market professional teams could ultimately hold on to their players after drafting them, that was an entirely different matter, what with free agency. Yet even so, you nonetheless had a chance to compete for the best players.
That is not the case with an NIL system in which teenagers can reportedly become millionaires - unless you have the alumni and business connections that are willing to toss out the cash, car, etc., opportunities. To date, that does not seem to be the case for Syracuse. We have in essence become a small-market college team, which means the likelihood of regularly competing in college athletics is going to become more and more difficult. So alas, not only am I an Orioles fan, but I am also an Orange fan, and that does not bode well.
I'm afraid my only solace is that I'm quite certain there are a number of Syracuse fans who are also Yankee fans, and now those Yankee fans are perhaps beginning to experience what it's like when your team is not supported by a bottomless well of big bucks. I'm not saying that success for SU basketball or football is an impossibility, but I don't think what we've done so far is going to come close to solving our future problems.
Many apologies for this much-too-bitter and far-too-lengthy diatribe. I guess I'm just another Abe Simpson shaking my fist at the clouds. But this emotional ventilation did help ... a little lol. And I'll still be watching tomorrow, hoping that maybe our football team can pull off an upset!!!

How do you know that has not been the case with the 315 collective? I think I’ve asked this before of someone but what current football or basketball players have we lost because of NIL?

Let’s see if their success continues now, in the post-NIL world we live in.

Gonzaga did a great job for a long time finding gems, & landing a ton of talented international players.

It’s only been the last handful of seasons they’re had any success recruiting 4-5* talent.

And that was pre-NIL.

So - either they’ve had some super-secret boosters who can now come out into the open, or they most likely won’t be able to sustain that going forward.

“Just” winning won’t be enough anymore, in a world where croots can win games at other schools AND get a six- or seven-figure NIL deal too.
They will. There was no PRE-NIL. Players have always getting paid. We know this for a fact (See Adidas/FBI deal, among many many others)

Attachments

• 1662148548572.jpeg
    1662148548572.jpeg
    682.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
And yet the flood gates are opened after the decision and there is no going back

Most of us can all see it and admit it

Oh the flood gates are open… i said right after nil was instituted that it would ruin parody in college sports… i am terribly pessimistic for the future. My motivations are selfish but it is, what it is…

You understand that money belongs to the school, which can't pay NIL
Yes, that is correct, but now please explain to me why he can get more NIL $$$ at Tennessee than at Syracuse ?????

Our program certainly has greater name recognition and a much more nationally renowned venue, hence, in theory, more exposure, and more NIL $$$ should be available at the Cuse than at Tennessee even if we want to pretend that nothing gets filtered thru the schools.

Comments from parents say NIL wasn't a thing but then decision was made by the time of the visit... with UT folks very much knowing at that point... hmm. Sorry but UT doesn't have a long standing culture of family with lots of former coaches and while yeah Barnes ain't bad.. I don't buy it. UT is a nice campus for sure. The bump in recruiting across the SEC though didn't just pop up with a few coaches and family lol.

All that said if NIL really didn't have the say it's another dark cloud outcome.

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct, but now please explain to me why he can get more NIL $$$ at Tennessee than at Syracuse ?????

Our program certainly has greater name recognition and a much more nationally renowned venue, hence, in theory, more exposure, and more NIL $$$ should be available at the Cuse than at Tennessee even if we want to pretend that nothing gets filtered thru the schools.

SEC baby, it just means more.

JP also said he would be his coach for two years. That means three more years for JB. It sounds like it was never close. He was all Tenn. We have to up the level of our official visits. The BBQ’s at JB’s house is not getting it done.

Football money drives revenue. And as someone commented below, ,they are getting SEC money. The the SEC/ACC conference revenue gap is large. I might suggest that over the past 8 years, Syracuse basketball is a lot less nationally relevant than many programs including Tennessee.

The Melo Center is already outdated. The locker rooms are boring with very little pizzazz. The lockerrooms in the JMA Dome are also way inferior to our competition. You have to keep updating everything. You can’t rest on your laurels. By the time we catch up, we’re already behind. I know SU is spending money, but recruits are looking for an edge. We see all kinds of stuff being sent out to football recruits. What about basketball? Are we trying to hide who we‘re recruiting? We need some freshness in the way we recruit. We need to be on the cutting edge. This staff is dull with no one who will ever light up a room. At least with Hop you knew when he was in the room. Changes have to be made. The way we’re doing it is not working anymore.

Whole Lotta people using NIL as an excuse to not criticize JB. We wouldn’t win this battle without NIL either right now.

Yeah no excuses here at all. NIL hurts us but it's Tennessee... and a family atmosphere with Barnes?? Yeah... we gotta freaking win these.

Maybe if you toss in a couple million we’ll catch up.

You really don't get it. NIL is not based on ROI for the businesses. This has become the above-board way for big money boosters to funnel money to kids above the table. It's about helping their school land and keep recruits, not gaining sales because JP was pushing wings and beer from Joe's Bar and Grill. The guys that would line up to give a kid $100k so they can get access to coaches and the locker rooms are now doing it through NIL instead of black bags. I don't think Syracuse has anyone willing to throw that kind of money at a kid to come play hoops. These are going to be regional deals, for the most part. L'il Bronny might get national deals because of his dad, not ROI for Nike.

Football money drives revenue. And as someone commented below, ,they are getting SEC money. The the SEC/ACC conference revenue gap is large. I might suggest that over the past 8 years, Syracuse basketball is a lot less nationally relevant than many programs including Tennessee.
This is a pretty good read. I don’t necessary agree with all of it but my guess is the fact that the Syracuse is missing from this list has more to do with Wins and Losses than fans. That would seem to confirm the program has become much less nationally relevant. Candid Coaches: Which arenas boast the best home-court environments in college basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom