Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 6 freshman.

And one of them is different than the others -- in terms of ratings, in terms of experience playing against top flight caliber competition, and in terms of readiness.

The other 5 all have the right tools / potential, but are probably [obviously, never say never] going to take a year or two to actualize it. Mintz will be a lot more ready to contribute at a high level day 1.

That's one of the reasons I think this class is a great "foundational" group. All five can play, all five have ACC caliber athleticism. But it might take all 5 a year or two to begin maximizing their potential.

It also might mean that they might not be as inclined to bail via the transfer portal as other players, who are more highly rated and more "impatient" with waiting their turn.

Only one of these guys seems like a flight threat [on paper].

Wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor start alongside Benny. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown start alongside Benny.

Wish we were starting Woody and Benny.
Which guy is a flight threat on paper?

That's one of the reasons I think this class is a great "foundational" group. All five can play, all five have ACC caliber athleticism. But it might take all 5 a year or two to begin maximizing their potential.

It also might mean that they might not be as inclined to bail via the transfer portal as other players, who are more highly rated and more "impatient" with waiting their turn.

Only one of these guys seems like a flight threat [on paper].

Wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor start alongside Benny. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brown start alongside Benny.

Wish we were starting Woody and Benny.
You wish for Woody and I will wish for Cole. There is a reason he didn't play at Okie St.

... just not the coaching staff at Syracuse.
Or Okie State.

That's fair, but agree to disagree.

I think there's some sour grapes associated with both Woody and Kadary expressed here [not from you specifically], when they were both guys who were terrific system fits on both sides of the ball. Can't project how their careers would have unfolded if they'd stayed. But we'll never know.

I think there's some sour grapes associated with both Woody and Kadary expressed here [not from you specifically], when they were both guys who were terrific system fits on both sides of the ball. Can't project how their careers would have unfolded if they'd stayed. But we'll never know.
It’s not sour grapes, it’s fair observations. He (Newton) played less time at OK state because he probably isn’t a power-5 caliber player.

Richmond didn’t like how JB handled him so he went to a school where he thought the coaches would handle him “right”, the results were almost identical. Again, not sour grapes just fair observations.

Oh, I agree with you 144%.

I loved both of those dudes in Orange, and they both seemed like prototypical Cuse players at their respective positions.

It’s just odd that neither one exactly lit it up at their next stops.
Gotta feel like both woulda done a LOT better and had more success had they stayed.

But - that ship has sailed.
And I think had already sailed by sometime in Jan their Frosh year.

I don't know about that. Certainly not on my end. I don't equate Kadary with Woody at all. I think that Woody couldn't get on the floor at Okie st is very telling.

It’s not sour grapes, it’s fair observations. He (Newton) played less time at OK state because he probably isn’t a power-5 caliber player.

Richmond didn’t like how JB handled him so he went to a school where he thought the coaches would handle him “right”, the results were almost identical. Again, not sour grapes just fair observations.

Not a power 5 player? Wow. That is a stretch and not backed up by anything. Did you watch his cameos at OK St?

Or maybe not a good system fit for them. They are an all-out defensive team. That's not his strong suit.

But he rebounded, shot the ball, and did a lot of things early in his freshman year that flashed the type of player he could be in our system.

Totally disagree that he isn't a P5 caliber player. If that's true, then why did we recruit him in the first place? Would be a pretty bad indictment of our coaching staff.

Or maybe not a good system fit for them. They are an all-out defensive team. That's not his strong suit.

But he rebounded, shot the ball, and did a lot of things early in his freshman year that flashed the type of player he could be in our system.

Totally disagree that he isn't a P5 caliber player. If that's true, then why did we recruit him in the first place? Would be a pretty bad indictment of our coaching staff.
Or the thing that binds Woody and Kadary is a disposition that is at odds with doing the things consistently that get you on JB's a list. That same disposition is possibly at odds with their new coaches.

Once again, the idea that these perfectly good players left because JB was mean to them is not the only narrative - not even the most likely.

What JB has been 100% consistent on is his players meeting a certain threshold of effort/skill - and this is basically how most good coaches coach. You can't abide a player not maxing out their effort, esp in practice.

And to loop back around - the thing that will separate the 6 news players from seeing the floor or not - will be those same things.

I don't know about that. Certainly not on my end. I don't equate Kadary with Woody at all. I think that Woody couldn't get on the floor at Okie st is very telling.

An alternate way to think about it is: perhaps if we did a better job retaining guys we bring in and developing them over time, we wouldn't be in a situation where we currently have no alternatives to relying on lower rated incoming recruits to potentially start.

Would be nice to plug in a third-year guy who would be much more of a proven commodity at this point, than having to cross our fingers that Bunch / Taylor can nail it down as true frosh.

I know folks like Mike B but honestly I'm not impressed. It's hard to take much from Woody not playing a lot, yet still getting minutes in a few big games and producing with how OK St looks. Reminds me some of Wojo at Marquette. Just not really a solid system he is running or committed to running. If not for Cade last year I doubt there is any talk of him being a solid coach.

Watched this game and the one against Team Final (starring Emoni Bates, Jalen Duren, and Dereck Lively (#1 recruit this year, headed to Duke).

Very different box scores from Maliq in the two games and very different team results. I have no idea what the final score was against Team Final, but Maliq's team clearly got their doors blown off (not exactly surprising given the difference in talent levels between the two teams). Maliq unofficially finished that one with 10 points, 2 rebounds, and a block. All 10 points were dunks or standing layups at the rim.

The other game, against Fork Union, Maliq was drifting for most of the game and then all hell broke loose towards the end as Fork Union couldn't handle a press to save their lives and Maliq imposed his will. He unofficially finished with:
  • 29 points on 11/16 2 pointers (all dunks/layups) and 7/12 FT shooting for a TS% of 68.1%.
  • 9 rebounds
  • 2 assists to 2 turnovers
  • 2 blocks and 1 steal
I'm going to give the other games a viewing as well, but personally, my expectations with him are very low. I can't really stress enough how poor the level of competition is. They'd struggle against even the bad high school teams I'm used to watching. And I just don't see Maliq's game translating against ACC caliber opponents (and honestly, pretty skeptical he can hack it at a mid-major level either).

The good with him is he's unselfish offensively. The ball doesn't stick to his hands; he either goes up with it/makes his move quickly or he keeps the ball moving elsewhere. His passing is also legitimately good; he made some nice pocket passes inside and one or two nice long passes to find cutters.

Outside of that, there isn't much positive that I can really say. He can run fine when he wants to, but he's not an explosive athlete. He regularly goes up for dunks and struggles to reach the rim. The lack of elevation shows defensively as well. He's able to pick up some helpside blocks where the offensive player just has no idea he's there or he gets to it before they get the ball up high, but he just doesn't get up well.

His highlights kinda sell him as a guy that plays like a dog and is always on the floor, making high effort plays and what not; his film is littered with lazy reach ins, getting blown by defensively, not boxing out/not trying to crash the glass, etc. There are flashes of him diving on the floor and stuff, but I wouldn't it's a regular thing with him.

I don't really think his scoring will translate in college; it's mostly a product of him being bigger than everyone else (though he did have a couple nice drives towards the end of the Fork Union game) and he looks like a poor free throw shooter to me.

All in all, I'm hoping I'll warm up to him more with the other couple games I've found, but to this point, he seems like a project player that doesn't have the athleticism to make the development time worthwhile. Maybe he just needs better trainers to unlock some additional athleticism; he doesn't look undeveloped physically so it's kinda confusing to me how little explosion he shows.

Peter Carey is a much more promising project to me. But you never know. I've certainly been wrong about recruits before. I just don't really see what makes Maliq attractive to us.

Last edited:

So Woody isn’t a P5 player because he didn’t do anything last year, but Benny is a guaranteed starter even though he didn’t do anything last year?

The way Woody/Benny are viewed here by some is fascinating.

*Woody showed more as a freshman at SU than Benny did.

Oh yeah you’re right, busts NEVER happen! He did enough to be a bench player at best, which is exactly what he is doing at OK state.

Watched this game and the one against Team Final (starring Emoni Bates, Jalen Duren, and Dereck Lively (#1 recruit this year, headed to Duke).

Very different box scores from Maliq in the two games and very different team results. I have no idea what the final score was against Team Final, but Maliq's team clearly got their doors blown off (not exactly surprising given the difference in talent levels between the two teams). Maliq unofficially finished that one with 10 points, 2 rebounds, and a block. All 10 points were dunks or standing layups at the rim.

The other game, against Fork Union, Maliq was drifting for most of the game and then all hell broke loose towards the end as Fork Union couldn't handle a press to save their lives and Maliq imposed his will. He unofficially finished with:
  • 29 points on 11/16 2 pointers (all dunks/layups) and 7/12 FT shooting for a TS% of 68.1%.
  • 9 rebounds
  • 2 assists to 2 turnovers
  • 2 blocks and 1 steal
I'm going to give the other games a viewing as well, but personally, my expectations with him are very low. I can't really stress enough how poor the level of competition is. They'd struggle against even the bad high school teams I'm used to watching. And I just don't see Maliq's game translating against ACC caliber opponents (and honestly, pretty skeptical he can hack it at a mid-major level either).

The good with him is he's unselfish offensively. The ball doesn't stick to his hands; he either goes up with it/makes his move quickly or he keeps the ball moving elsewhere. His passing is also legitimately good; he made some nice pocket passes inside and one or two nice long passes to find cutters.

Outside of that, there isn't much positive that I can really say. He can run fine when he wants to, but he's not an explosive athlete. He regularly goes up for dunks and struggles to reach the rim. The lack of elevation shows defensively as well. He's able to pick up some helpside blocks where the offensive player just has no idea he's there or he gets to it before they get the ball up high, but he just doesn't get up well.

His highlights kinda sell him as a guy that plays like a dog and is always on the floor, making high effort plays and what not; his film is littered with lazy reach ins, getting blown by defensively, not boxing out/not trying to crash the glass, etc. There are flashes of him diving on the floor and stuff, but I wouldn't it's a regular thing with him.

I don't really think his scoring will translate in college; it's mostly a product of him being bigger than everyone else (though he did have a couple nice drives towards the end of the Fork Union game) and he looks like a poor free throw shooter to me.

All in all, I'm hoping I'll warm up to him more with the other couple games I've found, but to this point, he seems like a project player that doesn't have the athleticism to make the development time worthwhile. Maybe he just needs better trainers to unlock some additional athleticism; he doesn't look undeveloped physically so it's kinda confusing to me how little explosion he shows.

Peter Carey is a much more promising project to me. But you never know. I've certainly been wrong about recruits before. I just don't really see what makes Maliq attractive to us.
Great breakdown! Have you done this with the other incoming Freshmen? I would love to hear your take on the rest of them.

Oh yeah you’re right, busts NEVER happen! He did enough to be a bench player at best, which is exactly what he is doing at OK state.
Benny Williams did enough to__________???

So Woody isn’t a P5 player because he didn’t do anything last year, but Benny is a guaranteed starter even though he didn’t do anything last year?

The way Woody/Benny are viewed here by some is fascinating.

*Woody showed more as a freshman at SU than Benny did.
When did I say Benny is a guaranteed starter? We now have 2 years worth of evidence that woody is not a power-5 starter and may not be good enough to be a significant role player. If benny has a similarly terrible year next year then the comparisons will be exactly the same.

Benny Williams did enough to__________???
I’m not sure where these comparisons are coming from, they are two completely different situations and one has an entire extra year in another system with the exact same results.

Benny could very well be a bust, I haven’t seen much to say otherwise yet and thus, I haven’t.

I’m not sure where these comparisons are coming from, they are two completely different situations and one has an entire extra year in another system with the exact same results.

Benny could very well be a bust, I haven’t seen much to say otherwise yet and thus, I haven’t.

We’ve got Benny….who was worse than Woody, and a bunch of freshmen.

This is what we’re rolling with?

Woody at least had a few good games here, early. He looked good early on. Wish we had him. Don’t care what’s happening at Ok. St. We’ve literally got zero proven production at forward. Why wouldn’t we want a Junior forward who was a decent recruit and who looked pretty good here when he got the chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom