Class of 2016 - PG Alterique Gilbert (GA) Verballed to UConn | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Alterique Gilbert (GA) Verballed to UConn

I think at some point JB gave up after some 20 games since Joseph apparently had the worlds heaviest arms.

coach-i-cant-feel-my-arms.jpg

Would be glad to grab this kid. Would complement Roberson's and hopefully Diagne's presence downlow well.

Wishful thinking... Roberson will be a senior in 2016. Would Gilbert be an immediate impact? That's the question.

Wishful thinking... Roberson will be a senior in 2016. Would Gilbert be an immediate impact? That's the question.

Well he certainly won't have any issues as far as his handle goes. With PG's that is often a big indication of how ready they will be from day one. Gilbert will be able to get where he wants to go without worrying about it judging from those videos. I didn't see him look at the ball once on any of those highlights and he's pulling off highly skilled stuff in traffic with both hands. Will he be enough of an impact player to supplant a Junior Joseph and Sophomore Howard? That's another question all together and likely depends a lot on how those two guys do this coming season.

Well he certainly won't have any issues as far as his handle goes. With PG's that is often a big indication of how ready they will be from day one. Gilbert will be able to get where he wants to go without worrying about it judging from those videos. I didn't see him look at the ball once on any of those highlights and he's pulling off highly skilled stuff in traffic with both hands. Will he be enough of an impact player to supplant a Junior Joseph and Sophomore Howard? That's another question all together and likely depends a lot on how those two guys do this coming season.

I think a guy like this could play alongside Joseph and Richardon. Especially if Joseph's offensive game improves the way I expect it to.

I think a guy like this could play alongside Joseph and Richardon. Especially if Joseph's offensive game improves the way I expect it to.

hmmm, I was thinking more alongside Richardson or Howard as the primary ball handler but you're correct IMO with the tools Joseph possesses he could easily play off the ball or as a combo once he develops more. It would be very nice to have 2 capable PG's on the floor together wouldn't it? I would expect Malachi to get big minutes as the premier shooter in the 2016/17 season however so it ill be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Official visit set up?

None as of yet. Last blurb was that Lville and SU would get visits. I would think that the staff must be doing a full court press on both Gilbert and Simmons to schedule official visits.

jordoo said:
None as of yet. Last blurb was that Lville and SU would get visits. I would think that the staff must be doing a full court press on both Gilbert and Simmons to schedule official visits.

What's Ville's point guard situation look like?

CraigForth said:
That doesn't exactly make me feel as confident as it would have a week ago

Simmons may not decide for a long time. He's in no rush.

What's Ville's point guard situation look like?

They have Snider back who's a sophomore and then Avare who is s RS sophomore that I know nothing about. They bring in 2 SG's this year with no PG's as of yet. They have offered about 5 PG's in 2016.

Simmons may not decide for a long time. He's in no rush.

Which is why Gilbert is more likely IMO. With the limited number of ships we simply cannot afford to be left holding the bag if someone of Gilbert's level wants to commit we pretty much need to take him.

jordoo said:
They have Snider back who's a sophomore and then Avare who is s RS sophomore that I know nothing about. They bring in 2 SG's this year with no PG's as of yet. They have offered about 5 PG's in 2016.

Thanks.

That's what I was afraid of.

No points as of yet.

Thanks.

That's what I was afraid of.

No points as of yet.

Yep they will be hot after Gilbert who is the highest rated PG they have offered. They also offered Fultz, just a point of interest. Snider should be pretty entrenched as the starter by the 16/17 season but Pitino has no issues playing a 4 guard rotation or playing 2 PG's together so I don't see that as a deterrent.

Combine that with a center who cannot afford to foul :(. There were times last year where I thought so and so from the other team has basically driven right into the middle of the lane every time he wanted to. Then I was thankful that for whatever reason he didn't chose to do it as much as he should have. Don't get me started on Joseph's season long refusal to put real effort into closing out and contesting shots. :mad:

Yup. So frustrating. Never understood the disconnect there.

jordoo said:
Which is why Gilbert is more likely IMO. With the limited number of ships we simply cannot afford to be left holding the bag if someone of Gilbert's level wants to commit we pretty much need to take him.

Agree.

But I wish we could find a taller, defensive minded 2 with a decent shoot. I just see Malachi as a cross between a 2 and a 3, and I think we may have two pretty serviceable point guards by then.

Agree.

But I wish we could find a taller, defensive minded 2 with a decent shoot. I just see Malachi as a cross between a 2 and a 3, and I think we may have two pretty serviceable point guards by then.

Its hard to say as a lot of it depends on how Joseph, Howard and Richardson develop over the course of this year. Its not an easy task at this point for the staff to pinpoint the biggest skill needs at guard for 2016. Battle being a long defensive do it all guard would have fit basically any need which is one of the reasons he's such a big loss.

Yep they will be hot after Gilbert who is the highest rated PG they have offered. They also offered Fultz, just a point of interest. Snider should be pretty entrenched as the starter by the 16/17 season but Pitino has no issues playing a 4 guard rotation or playing 2 PG's together so I don't see that as a deterrent.

Fultz is visiting UK this weekend. Might be the reason why we haven't been involved. Of the two guards Pitino got this year, one is a JUCO transfer and the other is a grad transfer I believe.

If we don't get Gilbert or Simmons, should we just hold out for a possible grad transfer next year?

If we don't get Gilbert or Simmons, should we just hold out for a possible grad transfer next year?

That would be my play, and go hard after Duval. Not sure if Jimmy likes to go that route given the learning curve for the zone defense. I think it would have to be a special situation.