Class of 2021 - PG Jaquan Carlos (NY) TRANSFERING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PG Jaquan Carlos (NY) TRANSFERING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24)

Yikes, better get a better PG that can start or hope Chance is healthy and able
10 pts, 6 assists to 2.5 turnovers and a couple steals a game. Dude is easily a starter. Will he? maybe not, but he would be plenty good enough. Goal is to get the ball to Lampkins on the pick and roll, which he did plenty last year to far inferior players, and to get the ball to bell. He is going to be solid

Last edited:
Symir did nothing against good competition outside a couple nice games here and didn’t elevate Binghamton. Incredible kid but not even in the caliber of player as Carlos.
I'm not arguing this and certainly hope you're right but last year's stats look awfully similar (offensively). Hopefully this is a case where stats only tell part of the story.

Symir (6'3", 200lb):
2p%: 47%
3p%: 33%
Ast: 7.2
TOV: 2.8
Steals: .9
Reb: 5.8
Pts: 8.2

Jaquan (6'0", 160lb):
3p%: 34%
Ast: 6.3
TOV: 2.6
Steals: 1.6
Reb: 4.4
Pts: 10.4

IMG_6290.jpeg

I'm not arguing this and certainly hope you're right but last year's stats look awfully similar (offensively). Hopefully this is a case where stats only tell part of the story.

Symir (6'3"):

Jaquan (6'0"):

Symir (6'3", 200lb):

Jaquan (6'0", 160lb):

Look at how bad Symir was against the non conf and good opponents vs Carlos. Plus big difference in leagues and Symir has played at this level yet still had his struggles moving so far down.

Look at how bad Symir was against the non conf and good opponents vs Carlos. Plus big difference in leagues and Symir has played at this level yet still had his struggles moving so far down.
I'm just comparing both of these guys' stats from last year, not when Symir logged only 12 min a game 2-3 years ago. Nonetheless, like I said earlier, I hope you're right!

I'm just comparing both of these guys' stats from last year, not when Symir logged only 12 min a game 2-3 years ago. Nonetheless, like I said earlier, I hope you're right!

Oh as was I- look at how he played against NW (8 TOs) last year or against Colgate etc vs Carlos dropping 10 pts and 9 ast and only 3 TOs vs Duke

10 pts, 6 assists to 2.5 turnovers and a couple steals a game. Dude is easily a starter. Will he? maybe not, but he would be plenty good enough. Goal is to get the ball to Lampkins on the pick and roll, which he did plenty last year to far inferior players, and to get the ball to bell. He is going to be solid

Hockey lines... let's run some teams into the ground!

I think we'd have 6 guards then, assuming Chance is considered one.

Carlos
(Leffew)
JJ
Moore
Cuffe
Westry

I think if this is the group, then you look at Westry and Leffew as Copeland kind of guys, who can help with the ball, but are also big enough to defend the 3. If we get Leffew, then those 2 guys are going to be the SF depth.

Symir (6'3", 200lb):

Jaquan (6'0", 160lb):
Any reason you didn't include free throw %?

Just watched a couple of his longer highlights videos. He had some really good moments against Duke in the tournament. Reminds me a bit of John Gillon - not a big guy, but a quick water bug. Can hit an open 3, can find a shooter on the wing, has the pull up in the lane, so that it keeps the center guessing whether he will stop, or continue to the rim, where he can finish.

I think if this is the group, then you look at Westry and Leffew as Copeland kind of guys, who can help with the ball, but are also big enough to defend the 3. If we get Leffew, then those 2 guys are going to be the SF depth.
I think Leffew is too slight of build to guard ACC forwards. In addition to Westry, I believe Starling, Cuffe and even Moore would all be better off than Leffew being the big guard in a three guard lineup.

I'm hoping that most of the time we stick with Davis, Freeman and Bell as our forwards, with only Westry playing big guard in the three guard.

We're going to have to play three guards at some point, as our forwards depth is the one lacking point on the roster now that Leffew and Carlos are on board.

I hope they are fairly rare, unless we get some crazy matchup advantage that Red identifies... I suspect most of the time it will mean something has gone wrong.

I think Leffew is too slight of build to guard ACC forwards. In addition to Westry, I believe Starling, Cuffe and even Moore would all be better off than Leffew being the big guard in a three guard lineup.

I'm hoping that most of the time we stick with Davis, Freeman and Bell as our forwards, with only Westry playing big guard in the three guard.

We're going to have to play three guards at some point, as our forwards depth is the one lacking point on the roster now that Leffew and Carlos are on board.

I hope they are fairly rare, unless we get some crazy matchup advantage that Red identifies... I suspect most of the time it will mean something has gone wrong.

Yeah, but we don't play ACC teams all 31 games, right? At 6-5 with some bounce and the ability to get into the lane, he can give us some of what Copeland did, but fewer crazy passes, and he can actually make a 3 with some consistency.

I agree, Freeman is going to play some SF, but with Maliq gone, he's going to be a stretch 4 for us. Freeman and Jyare share the minutes at the four, and then Westry or somebody is going to spot Chris at the 3, to make sure he plays hard. That could be Leffew, if we need 3 point shooting, or it could be Jyare, if we need better defense. Westry is stronger. Westry can drive and pass. Not so much a 3 point shooter.

Important thing is to recognize that Red played 9.5 guys last year, and that was with a couple getting injured or kicked off the team. I think we're going to see a lot of guys again this year. You have to admit, he gave literally everyone a chance last year.

Last edited:
I'm not thrilled about the idea of starting Carlos but if we can bring him off the bench we'll be in a nice position

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom