Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 103 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kid always struck me as wanting to get out of Syracuse and see the world. But South Bend for hoops? Yuck.
Very frustrating development. I get the "see the world" motivation but ND does not offer Starling much different. The kid has been living and playing in South Bend area for a couple years now. He values elite academics and I credit him for that. But for someone who likely sees himself as a 1-and-done (at most 2) and has his future staked on NBA millions, does it really matter that much if/when he gets a degree or what school's name is on it? Honestly?

Very soon JJ is going to truly see the world as a professional player. In my view, if he went to Syracuse, he had opportunity for family, friends, and neighbors to watch him play all of his home games, plus reasonable travel to regional ones before he embarks on the life of a far-and-wide NBA grind.

Brey undoubtedly sold Starling on being "the man" at ND. It probably had the biggest impact on his decision. However, the way their roster looks now, the Irish have four quality senior guards who get meaningful minutes (Hubb/Goodwin/Ryan/Wertz). In 2020-21, they averaged a combined 126 mpg and 44.6 ppg. All of them obtained an additional year of eligibility. None of them projects as an NBA draft prospect. Who knows if they have other pro options, such as overseas? I see it more likely that some number of these bright young men return for a free grad year. These are not walk-on types. If they come back, Brey needs to find a way to get them on the court. Minutes could suddenly get crowded for Starling there, no matter what pitch Brey was making.

At Syracuse, Buddy is surely gone in '22 and Symir knows his role. As a local, JJ knows this as well as anyone. The other frosh guards are ranked below him. He starts. 30+ minutes. No other competition besides Girard. JG is not a natural point, so a decent chance JJ plays time at the 1, as it appears he wants. I wish Starling well personally (not for the Irish sake) but this choice could easily backfire on him.

But for someone who likely sees himself as a 1-and-done (at most 2) and has his future staked on NBA millions, does it really matter that much if/when he gets a degree or what school's name is on it? Honestly?

yes

lol

20211012_182131.jpg

Everybody says the experts have no idea, but everytime they flock to a pick the night prior they’re always dead on.
I reluctantly spent time scoping out ND message boards trying to learn their take on the Starling recruitment and what their respective "insiders" might have been hearing. Here, SU fans have a 100+ page thread (plus cross discussion among others) and loads of angst and speculation. The Irish crowd does not even seem to care that much. There was a little twinge of excitement as crystal balls started rolling. But if Starling chose elsewhere, it doesn't seem like it would have bothered them for more than a minute. Football school, JJ?

I reluctantly spent time scoping out ND message boards trying to learn their take on the Starling recruitment and what their respective "insiders" might have been hearing. Here, SU fans have a 100+ page thread (plus cross discussion among others) and loads of angst and speculation. The Irish crowd does not even seem to care that much. There was a little twinge of excitement as crystal balls started rolling. But if Starling chose elsewhere, it doesn't seem like it would have bothered them for more than a minute. Football school, JJ?
They’re a mediocre hoops school and their fans are only passionate when they’re playing against big dogs like Syracuse.

No inside info here but I think this kid just wanted to get away from home? Otherwise he'd choose SU over ND. That said, I'm not as crushed by this loss as some here are. I think Cope has the potential to be better. There's just this intangible with Cope that I really really like. His swagger, confidence, leadership, and tremendous playmaking ability. It'll truly be fun to watch Cope outplay JJ, and Peter outperform Flip. JJ who???? Cya!

I don't know how college coaches do this. They spend THAT much time recruiting a kid to have it end like this. Recruiting is one hell of a tough business. I feel for Boeheim and company. I know they're probably used to it, but still, it's gotta hurt.

I don't know how college coaches do this. They spend THAT much time recruiting a kid to have it end like this. Recruiting is one hell of a tough business. I feel for Boeheim and company. I know they're probably used to it, but still, it's gotta hurt.
I feel for the assistant coaches. I do not feel for Boeheim one bit. If he worked harder on recruiting, these would be layup recruits for this program. The asst coaches keep the kids this interested and then realize they don’t want to play for a very old man regardless of legacy

I feel for the assistant coaches. I do not feel for Boeheim one bit. If he worked harder on recruiting, these would be layup recruits for this program. The asst coaches keep the kids this interested and then realize they don’t want to play for a very old man regardless of legacy
Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors