Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green already holds offers from numerous high-major programs, including Syracuse, Miami, Xavier and Temple, while Duke recently had two assistants at Neumann-Goretti.

Neither Duke nor Kentucky has yet to offer, but that could change. Green told reporters in Colorado that he spoke to Kentucky coach John Calipari on Tuesday.

"They make pros, of course," Green told Roberts of UK's program. "And they have good student-athletes. When they leave for the NBA, they come back and get their degree. They get the best out of you there."

Kentucky has offered 2017 point guards Trae Young and Tremont Waters.

Terrance "Munch" Williams, the PSA Cardinals director, previously told SNY.tv that Green will not cut his list before August.

"Hopefully, I commit in September," Green said recently. "That's when I want to."

Green already holds offers from numerous high-major programs, including Syracuse, Miami, Xavier and Temple, while Duke recently had two assistants at Neumann-Goretti.

Neither Duke nor Kentucky has yet to offer, but that could change. Green told reporters in Colorado that he spoke to Kentucky coach John Calipari on Tuesday.

"They make pros, of course," Green told Roberts of UK's program. "And they have good student-athletes. When they leave for the NBA, they come back and get their degree. They get the best out of you there."

Kentucky has offered 2017 point guards Trae Young and Tremont Waters.

Terrance "Munch" Williams, the PSA Cardinals director, previously told SNY.tv that Green will not cut his list before August.

"Hopefully, I commit in September," Green said recently. "That's when I want to."
That whole "They make pros" crap gets me everytime. They recruit pros. Ask the Harrison twins how Kentucky prepared them for the NBA. Two sure fire first round picks out of high school. It kind of sucks for us, but Syracuse has gotten guys to the league the past couple of years. Ennis was not considered a one and done. Mali wasn't considered a one and done. Who would have guessed Waiters would go as high as he did, or MCW or Jerami Grant. Those guys developed here. Kentucky is just a holding area for one year for sure fire first round picks, unless they don't develop and get exposed like a few of their guys.

That whole "They make pros" crap gets me everytime. They recruit pros. Ask the Harrison twins how Kentucky prepared them for the NBA. Two sure fire first round picks out of high school. It kind of sucks for us, but Syracuse has gotten guys to the league the past couple of years. Ennis was not considered a one and done. Mali wasn't considered a one and done. Who would have guessed Waiters would go as high as he did, or MCW or Jerami Grant. Those guys developed here. Kentucky is just a holding area for one year for sure fire first round picks, unless they don't develop and get exposed like a few of their guys.
This quote was a little questionable too -"When they leave for the NBA, they come back and get their degree." - REALLY???? I thought they didn't even go to class or if they do they take the courses that UNC athletes do.

Last edited:
This quoted was a little questionable too -"When they leave for the NBA, they come back and get their degree." - REALLY???? I thought they didn't even go to class or if they do they take the courses that UNC athletes do.
Calipari can sling it like no other. When the narrative out of the last couple of drafts is that Kentucky does not prepare their guys physically for the league, somehow that is in small print. But, any positive is all over ESPN and every other network and "news" source.

I've said this 100 times. It is impossible to think these kids don't know this right? Like Anthony Davis was a total slug until he got transformed into a pro at UK?? If he went to the University of the United States for a year and worked part time at McDowells he would still be in the NBA right now.

I've said this 100 times. It is impossible to think these kids don't know this right? Like Anthony Davis was a total slug until he got transformed into a pro at UK?? If he went to the University of the United States for a year and worked part time at McDowells he would still be in the NBA right now.
You would think so, but it is how Calipari recruits. His pitch is, he gets guys to the league. He has connections. Blah blah blah. Now, it would appear he is telling these guys that they can come back and get their degree, like it is some kind of revelation. I think it is important for our coaches to know what crap UK and any competition is selling, so that our guys can explain how SU can provide the same or better.

This seems very positive for us. He wants to commit in September, neither UK or Duke has him as their priority PG nor have they offered. It seems he wants to do these visits and possibly get the offers to get them under his belt. I'm hoping its more or less to be sure he wants to go to SU.

These guys (Duke & UK) haven't offered yet because they have higher rated PGs they have offered and will jump on Green at the last minute if they don't get the one they want. If they had offered Green already, that might jeopardize the higher offered recruits. To me it would tick me off if someone like Cal Pal did this to me. SU has been on him and offered for sometime now and we have a very good track record on getting kids to the NBA. I hope we revail.

This seems very positive for us. He wants to commit in September, neither UK or Duke has him as their priority PG nor have they offered. It seems he wants to do these visits and possibly get the offers to get them under his belt. I'm hoping its more or less to be sure he wants to go to SU.
Good point, and Dean has indicated that Green may value getting the offer and the attention, but the fact that he is not their top priority is likely not lost on him.

Good point, and Dean has indicated that Green may value getting the offer and the attention, but the fact that he is not their top priority is likely not lost on him.
I doubt even if they offer Green that they would accept his commitment before Trae Young. Cal even told Markelle Fultz at this point last year when he went there on a visit, that he was basically plan B after Fox and Monk. Looks silly in hindsight because Fultz ended up being ranked higher than both.

I doubt even if they offer Green that they would accept his commitment before Trae Young. Cal even told Markelle Fultz at this point last year when he went there on a visit, that he was basically plan B after Fox and Monk. Looks silly in hindsight because Fultz ended up being ranked higher than both.
Cal doesn't seem to be a good talent evaluator. He just looks at the current rankings.

it is how Calipari recruits. His pitch is, he gets guys to the league. He has connections. Blah blah blah.
:vomit:
Not your post of course, but this phrase about Cal. Cal gets them nowhere they couldn't get to on their own or at any other school.

Ask the Harrison twins how Kentucky prepared them for the NBA. Two sure fire first round picks out of high school.
Yeah I agree, Cal did wonders with those 2...not!

Fun to watch UK get bounced from the tourney most years by teams with kids who stick around a few years and develope. Cal I am sure said with a straight face recently that the head coach is aware of ncaa violations committed during their watch. Folks from UMass and Memphis would likely agree.

I agree with most if not all of this. The Harrison twins however were overhyped by everybody, IMO. If H.S. kids could still go pro those guys would've been eaten alive in the NBA and suffering the same plight as now.

SoBeCuse said:
I agree with most if not all of this. The Harrison twins however were overhyped by everybody, IMO. If H.S. kids could still go pro those guys would've been eaten alive in the NBA and suffering the same plight as now.

I agree. The point is, there is no development there. If you give Cal the credit for the guys he "gets to the league", you must also acknowledge the can't miss guys out of high school that do miss after going to UK. But the media buys his crap, it is nauseating.

I agree. The point is, there is no development there. If you give Cal the credit for the guys he "gets to the league", you must also acknowledge the can't miss guys out of high school that do miss after going to UK. But the media buys his crap, it is nauseating.

True. I generally give him some credit though for getting these guys to play together and eliminate hero ball. They play good ball usually and he is a excellent motivator like it or not. Some players have improved under him. Patrick Patterson, DeAndre Liggins, and Terrence Jones all improved.

Still, I bet Boeheim might (not certain but might) do better than Cal coaching a team with a Labissiere or Briscoe even though those guys aren't the typical UK studs. I don't know. He's no Izzo or Coach K, but he's not chopped liver either, lol.

Some players have improved under him. Patrick Patterson, DeAndre Liggins, and Terrence Jones all improved.
Patrick Patterson was a junior by the time Cal got to UK and Jones was a top 10 ranked recruit by every service, notably #8 and #9 by the two largest recruiting services.

:(:(:( Man I have a bad feeling about this.

This has been our problem for years. We just need really good plan B and plan C if we are going to be capable of competing.

JB is one of the best eyes for talent ever, going back to Sam Perkins. While he has landed some great ones, he is often the Old Man and the Sea. I hope he has one more great run in him.

You do know that the 2017-18 season Coach Hop will be the head coach. I believe it is under contract so I doubt it will change.

You do know that the 2017-18 season Coach Hop will be the head coach. I believe it is under contract so I doubt it will change.

You are breaking news here! This is the first mention that I have seen that JB has a contractual commitment to leave after this season or that Hop has a commitment to be the head coach in 2017-18, not sure which you are suggesting is under contract, although presumably both.

You are breaking news here! This is the first mention that I have seen that JB has a contractual commitment to leave after this season or that Hop has a commitment to be the head coach in 2017-18, not sure which you are suggesting is under contract, although presumably both.

This is old news:

"Syracuse, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - Syracuse University announced Thursday assistant coach Mike Hopkins will take over as head coach for Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim following the 2017-18 season.

In March, Boeheim disclosed he would retire in three years. It was then Boeheim announced his preference to have Hopkins take over the program.

"I'm honored, humbled and grateful for this special opportunity," Hopkins said. "Very few people are afforded the privilege to coach at their alma mater."

Hopkins has been on the Syracuse coaching staff since 1995 and was part of the school's NCAA title winning team in 2003.

"Mike has truly earned this honor through his hard work, dedication and commitment to our program for more than 20 years," Boeheim said. "There is no one more ready or prepared to carry on the success of Syracuse basketball than Mike Hopkins."

A two-year starter at shooting guard, Hopkins led the 1991-92 team to the Big East championship."

Syracuse.com had an article also but I could not find it. I think the contract has been signed so it would be very unusual if coach Hop does not take over the reigns 2017-18.

Read more here: Syracuse names Hopkins head coach designate

Status
Not open for further replies.