Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure I read just last week that Duke was making Collin Sexton a priority. Things could change though...

I agree. The point is, there is no development there. If you give Cal the credit for the guys he "gets to the league", you must also acknowledge the can't miss guys out of high school that do miss after going to UK. But the media buys his crap, it is nauseating.
He did pull Skal Labissiere out of thin air and turned him into a lottery pick.

I hope this is sarcasm. Labissiere was high on the draft boards before he even started at Kentucky. He actually regressed in the ratings under Cal.

No kidding. Kid was ranked #2 in ESPNs final rankings and he wasn't from Denver so I have no clue what he's talking about.

Yea their insiders say hes passed Waters in priority. Its funny tho, a lot of their fans view Quade as a stopgap until the 18 pg class lol.

Just all the more reason to hate Duke. This line of thinking is why Derryck Thornton transferred...

Syracuse made the Final Four last year.

Neither Duke nor Kentucky did.

Not sure why we have an inferiority complex when it comes to these schools. It's not like football where, at this point in time, we have very little shot of getting any 5-star kid that is offered by the big boys.

We are a big boy. And can get the same types of kids.

That being said, this kid is a huge recruit and it would be a huge win to get him.

We have as good a shot as anyone else, in my opinion.

EDIT: Just a reminder of a kid coming in next year:

Coach K Visits Tyus Battle, A 'Critical' Piece to Duke's Recruiting Plan

Not sure why we have an inferiority complex when it comes to these schools. It's not like football where, at this point in time, we have very little shot of getting any 5-star kid that is offered by the big boys.

That being said, this kid is a huge recruit and it would be a huge win to get him.

Agreed. But Green has shown a propensity to want to chase elite offers. We're in great shape here, but I was hoping he wouldn't emerge as a priority for either Duke or UK, given how important of a prospect he is for US.

Just getting an offer from Duke or Calipari Community College doesn't mean that he will ultimately chooses to go to either of those hell holes. I just would prefer for us to remain well out in front of the competition, and it would have been nice to have Green wrapped up already.

Last edited:

EDIT: Just a reminder of a kid coming in next year:

Coach K Visits Tyus Battle, A 'Critical' Piece to Duke's Recruiting Plan
We may have as good a shot as anyone to land Green; but you are wearing orange colored goggles if you think we are a "selector" school like Duke and UK. We are in that next tier down in recruiting basketball kids...

Ugh I hate having to go up against Duke and Uk.

Those are probably the only 2 that just ruin my confidence in getting a kid. Probably because they battle for the top 2 classes every single year.

We may have as good a shot as anyone to land Green; but you are wearing orange colored goggles if you think we are a "selector" school like Duke and UK. We are in that next tier down in recruiting basketball kids...

Honestly think we're in the third tier of the elite schools, my thoughts:
Tier 1: Duke & Kentucky
Tier 2: UNC, Kansas, Arizona, UCLA
Tier 3: Us, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Louisville, Indiana

Both of those top tiers consistently have higher rated classes then we do and land the majority of the top 10 kids in the country on a yearly basis. Also think that Texas with Smart is entering tier 3 and could move to tier 2 in a hurry with their resources if he builds a big-time winner as quickly as I think he's going to. Michigan and Indiana were two I thought that could probably drop out but I imagine they are looked at fairly similar as we are nationwide and not just among our fans.

Quade has a ton of confidence and swagger. I am picturing a kid that covets the offers but will eventually commit to a team (SU) that recognized his talent early, but he wants it to be clear that Duke and UK both had him as their #1 pg target.

Both of those top tiers consistently have higher rated classes then we do and land the majority of the top 10 kids in the country on a yearly basis. Also think that Texas with Smart is entering tier 3 and could move to tier 2 in a hurry with their resources if he builds a big-time winner as quickly as I think he's going to. Michigan and Indiana were two I thought that could probably drop out but I imagine they are looked at fairly similar as we are nationwide and not just among our fans.

I have a minor quibble with UCLA . They sure aren't getting results. I was just in Westwood and saw Billboards throughout the neighborhood calling for his job.

All we have to do is kick their butts on the BB court, and we will win those recruit that we run neck and neck. Its the same way with our FB team, beat Clemson, FSU, ND, Michigan, it can happen.

Boeheim has a calculated recruiting philosophy. He goes after certain types of players, goes after them early, and has gotten his fair share of them in recent years. Waiters, MCW, Ennis, Richardson, Battle, Melo were all upper echelon kids.

Difference is we have not waited around and used resources for the top 10 kids - Kentucky has and they have been rewarded with a ton of them. So has Duke. Will we change that philosophy once Boeheim leaves? Who knows. But I think with our resources, history, attendance, exposure, etc., we can get a few top 10 kids too. Call me crazy.

Boeheim has a calculated recruiting philosophy. He goes after certain types of players, goes after them early, and has gotten his fair share of them in recent years. Waiters, MCW, Ennis, Richardson, Battle, Melo were all upper echelon kids.

Difference is we have not waited around and used resources for the top 10 kids - Kentucky has and they have been rewarded with a ton of them. So has Duke. Will we change that philosophy once Boeheim leaves? Who knows. But I think with our resources, history, attendance, exposure, etc., we can get a few top 10 kids too. Call me crazy.

Fully agree on that. Think the bigger problem is how those guys are spaced out over time instead of getting a couple in 1 class and then another one or 2 in the next and having the cupboard stocked. We keep running into more of an issue where Jimmy did a great job of landing an under appreciated kid and having them blow up and take off and then we're screwed the next year as we weren't prepared. Happened with pretty much every guy that you listed above. Its not the worst problem in the world obviously if guys are blowing up as soon as they are on the court but it makes it tough to have a consistent top 10 team instead of having these peaks/valleys that we've been running into. Obviously Duke/UK have all their guys leaving but then they have 3 or 4 more top 20 guys coming in and if those guys are being combined with a couple guys staying for a few years, then they have a powerhouse like what Duke will have next year.

How many concensus Top10 recruits have we ever gotten? I immediately think of Melo and Billy, athough having his older brother as starting tailback helped a lot... Was DC up there? Do the total in school history equal 1 year of recruiting for Duke?
We have done quite well with the Top 20 to 80 range...

I have a minor quibble with UCLA . They sure aren't getting results. I was just in Westwood and saw Billboards throughout the neighborhood calling for his job.

Can understand that, seem to not live up to expectations most years but when there's a top 10 west coast kid like Lonzo Ball, it seems like it usually comes down to UCLA or AZ more times than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.