Pitt AD Fired | Syracusefan.com

Pitt AD Fired

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
In wake of another football HC fiasco, Steve Pederson has been fired.

About time.

Yet Gross still has a job.

Basketball is in a free fall, football has not been ranked in a decade, the ncaa investigates both, multiple sex scandals in the Olympic sports, and seriel nepotism abounds.

But the kool aid still tastes good

Basketball is in a free fall, football has not been ranked in a decade, the ncaa investigates both, multiple s e x scandals in the Olympic sports, and seriel nepotism abounds.

Basketball is in a free fall? We are having one bad year. He thought he fixed football but the guy got an NFL Head coaching job. What are the multiple sex scandals that you speak of?

Gross' biggest failure was GRob. Unfortunately, that set the program years back and turned us into a national laughing stock (ie our GameDay segment in 2008). Further, he is putting too much compensation into the hands of our coaches who bring ZERO revenue into this school. Funnel that money into the football and basketball programs. It ain't that hard.

$350k for a tennis coach makes me want to puke.

Basketball is in a free fall, football has not been ranked in a decade, the ncaa investigates both, multiple s e x scandals in the Olympic sports, and seriel nepotism abounds.

And yet, last February, basketball was #1 in the US of A, football coming off a third bowl appearance in four years, lax was off a championship game...

College sports is not day trading. Football sucked this past year. Basketball is sucking a bit now. And oil is also way down. S h ! t happens in some areas; hopefully football in 2014 fell that way but firing the AD? Sure. OK.

Does this mean that Pitt will wait until they've got a new AD in place, or will...someone else...select their new coach?

We all know how AD's just LOVE to have an FB coach they didn't hire.

BTW, interim AD's don't count.

Pitt/Shadiano could be a match made in desperation heaven.

Does this mean that Pitt will wait until they've got a new AD in place, or will...someone else...select their new coach?

We all know how AD's just LOVE to have an FB coach they didn't hire.

BTW, interim AD's don't count.

Pitt/Shadiano could be a match made in desperation heaven.
I think their chancellor's been conducting the search from the get-go due to Pederson's ineptitude.
Edit: Chancellor's name is Patrick Gallagher.

Gross' biggest failure was GRob. Unfortunately, that set the program years back and turned us into a national laughing stock (ie our GameDay segment in 2008). Further, he is putting too much compensation into the hands of our coaches who bring ZERO revenue into this school. Funnel that money into the football and basketball programs. It ain't that hard.

$350k for a tennis coach makes me want to puke.
i think the laughing stock stuff is overblown

we sucked for 4 years. big whoop. purdue sucks now. uconn sucks. wake forest sucks. do people laugh at them or ignore them? ignore

we sucked for 4 years. big whoop. purdue sucks now. uconn sucks. wake forest sucks. do people laugh at them or ignore them? ignore

Big difference is that we have a far greater tradition than those schools.

Syracuse currently leads the Director's cup.
Always important to keep those directors happy! But we have to have good FB, BB and LAX to keep us happy.

You may not like his style. He may not necessarily follow up on certain things, but the overall record is very solid.

I don't. It wasn't that long ago when ESPN was reporting us in their "bottom 5" list every week.

We were the worst BCS conference team for several years. We're still struggling to overcome that stigma.

Big difference is that we have a far greater tradition than those schools.
purdue has finished the season ranked 17 times, SU 15 times. purdue's been ranked for 237 weeks, syracuse 197

not the only measures but purdue isn't that much different. we've won more games and have the NC

I don't. It wasn't that long ago when ESPN was reporting us in their "bottom 5" list every week.

We were the worst BCS conference team for several years. We're still struggling to overcome that stigma.
someone has to be in the bottom five. i don't know who was in the bottom five this year. i certainly didn't laugh at them

i care a lot more about the bottom five when we're on it - i think we presume too much about how much anyone cared about how far we fell.

the only time anyone really made fun of us on ESPN was one of those idiotic nunes adventures against Pitt where they sped it up and played Yakkity Sax, if i am remembering that right. and that was well before Gerg

purdue has finished the season ranked 17 times, SU 15 times. purdue's been ranked for 237 weeks, syracuse 197

not the only measures but purdue isn't that much different. we've won more games and have the NC

That's not all-- Kyle Orton is currently the Bills' quarterback. Who coaches the bills? Doug Marrone. Where did Kyle Orton go to school? Purdue.

heavy-breathing-cat.jpg

someone has to be in the bottom five. i don't know who was in the bottom five this year. i certainly didn't laugh at them

i care a lot more about the bottom five when we're on it - i think we presume too much about how much anyone cared about how far we fell.

the only time anyone really made fun of us on ESPN was one of those idiotic nunes adventures against Pitt where they sped it up and played Yakkity Sax, if i am remembering that right. and that was well before Gerg

Nobody cares or pays attention when it is South Central Louisana State University Mud Dogs in the bottom 5. They pay more attention and direct more derision when it is a power conference team shiznitting the bed and landing in the bottom 5.

I can't recall a time when we haven't been picked to finish last in the conference. And it seems like every other national article where SU football is mentioned, the reaction is something like: "Do they even play football there?"

I'm tired of the ineptitude. I'm tired of the lack of respect. I'm tired of poor play. And I'm tired of how all of these three things combine to murder us in the forum of public / media perception. I'm not going so far as to claim that it impacts us on the recruiting trail, but it sure doesn't help.

Is there any sport that Pitt is great at? I realize football is terrible, but we're a national power and legitimate national championship contender in 5 different sports, and are getting there in a couple others.

Nobody cares or pays attention when it is South Central Louisana State University Mud Dogs in the bottom 5. They pay more attention and direct more derision when it is a power conference team shiznitting the bed and landing in the bottom 5.

I can't recall a time when we haven't been picked to finish last in the conference. And it seems like every other national article where SU football is mentioned, the reaction is something like: "Do they even play football there?"

I'm tired of the ineptitude. I'm tired of the lack of respect. I'm tired of poor play. And I'm tired of how all of these three things combine to murder us in the forum of public / media perception. I'm not going so far as to claim that it impacts us on the recruiting trail, but it sure doesn't help.
they always put name schools in there because no one cares about the dregs

just gogoled, michigan was on there. (gogoled is pete gogolak's seach engine)

i agree with you that gerg was inept and disrespected. i just think the laughing stock stuff is just too much. it's just not that big a deal nationally when syracuse sucks

Last edited:
Millhouse said:
they always put name schools in there because no one cares about the dregs just gogoled, michigan was on there i agree with you that gerg was inept and disrespected. i just think the laughing stock stuff is just too much. it's just not that big a deal nationally when syracuse sucks

Agree. No one really cares, more forgotten than anything else. Even schools like VT and BC forgot, wasn't worth their time to laugh. Just pretty much the Rutgers and UConn trolls.

Sad on many levels, but nationally almost no one cares.

GoHamSU said:
That's not all-- Kyle Orton is currently the Bills' quarterback. Who coaches the bills? Doug Marrone. Where did Kyle Orton go to school? Purdue.

Mind=blown

As I recall Nunes threw the game winning TD to David Tyree on one of those idiotic plays against Pitt.

I do not recall laughing at the time.

But more to the point, it's not about laughing but about not caring.

And we have a lot of work to do to make people across the USA care about SU Football.

You may not like his style. He may not necessarily follow up on certain things, but the overall record is very solid.
great.

then he would be leaving the overall Athletic Dept in good standing, but we CANNOT afford him the opportunity to hire another football coach.

thats just not working out.

Syracuse currently leads the Director's cup.

When you spend the money SU is spending on non-revenue sports, you should finish high on this list, but the improvements are coming with a heavy, heavy price tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom