Pitt AD Fired | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt AD Fired

SU doesn't have the money to keep supporting Ath Dept revenue losses so you won't hear those words anytime soon. People are talking about rumors of a reduction of staff by 10-15% across campus, so it's not a pretty picture on the Hill right now. It's time for Gross to back up his #branding and at least have one year without spending more than he's taking in.
SU doesn't spemd more on football than it takes in from football. That would be impossible at SU at this point.

SU doesn't spemd more on football than it takes in from football. That would be impossible at SU at this point.

I'm talking about overall, not just football. If you read the report CuseOnly is referring to, you'll see an Athletics rep saying they project losses even with the increase ACC revenue.

The only problem with that analysis is that we're not talking about "on paper" or critiquing GRob's pre-Syracuse resume--we're basing that assessment on his debacle of a tenure overseeing our program. With that frame, it was a disastrous hire.

Marrone was a solid hire.

And as you point out above, one has to question the decision to hire Shafer in lieu of conducting a national search.

Very shaky track record with football. Gross could very possibly be 0-2 [and for the record, I hope not--I really hope Shafer turns things around]. And if Gross is 0-2 with football, then I don't see how his record at AD could be considered anything but negatively.
Doing a search after the season and before signing day would have killed recruiting. Our staff, not our name, is what sells recruits.

Doing a search after the season and before signing day would have killed recruiting. Our staff, not our name, is what sells recruits.

True. But too much is made of that, IMO. Losing recruits one season is a small price to pay for getting a top notch staff in place. Short term pain avoidance landed us with a staff that appears to be subpar. And on top of that, we lost arguably the most important recruit in that class [Zach Allen] anyway.

Which outcome is better for the program long term? Hint: don't worry about the recruits for one mediocre class. Take the hit, do what is necessary to get the better staff in place. Wins are how our program is going to get better recruits. And I say this with the caveat recognizing that this staff seems to recruit pretty darn well, even though they aren't winning.

Last edited:
SU doesn't have the money to keep supporting Ath Dept revenue losses so you won't hear those words anytime soon. People are talking about rumors of a reduction of staff by 10-15% across campus, so it's not a pretty picture on the Hill right now. It's time for Gross to back up his #branding and at least have one year without spending more than he's taking in.

It's all an accounting shell game... I can hire an accounting firm to make numbers look exactly how I want them to look regardless of how they actually turn out. Profitable or not.

Keep in mind that each team pays "rent" for the dome for every game or event and the Dome profitability is not figured into those numbers either. The Dome is considered a separate entity and not part of the Athletic Department, I am fairly certain that under those terms it is incredibly profitable. They are just shifting profit and revenue around in a way that suits the "suits" better. From the AD to the Dome.

From a previous post on this board...
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2010/12/syracuse_university_football_m_1.html

“The thing that’s misleading about the report is it’s not reported consistently,” Gross added. “There’s no rule that says you have to compare apples to apples.”

Gross maintains that “football at Syracuse makes money” even when SU reported otherwise.

Even though NZM seems to think there are specific "line items" that schools have to report, the DOE spokesperson clearly states in this article "Gross is correct in that respect, said a spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Education. There are no standard accounting methods used in determining how much money an individual school makes or doesn’t make."

Sounds like groundwork for hiring Shady for too much money. Please be true.

I'm sorry.

I was just relating a situation that I know fairly well.

And, I think you may have missed the point.

There are of course instances where an assistant coach has become a very good head coach and was the right selection - Jim Boeheim is a good example of that .

In his case, back in 1976, JB was well qualified - had strong eastern basketball roots and probably would have been the selection or would have been a strong candidate, had the University conducted a full job search. He was the kind of guy that matched the job at that time - a job that was very regional. And, many believe, JB was doing much of the coaching anyway while he was the assistant during the Roy Danforth era.

The point of the post, and the lesson of the IU experience still holds - one recruiting class is not more important than securing the right coach and the assistant coach should be hired if he would have been hired following a national search.

True. But too much is made of that, IMO. Losing recruits one season is a small price to pay for getting a top notch staff in place. Short term paid avoidance landed us with a staff that appears to be subpar. And on top of that, we lost arguably the most important recruit in that class [Zach Allen] anyway.

Which outcome is better for the program long term? Hint: don't worry about the recruits for one mediocre class. Take the hit, do what is necessary to get the better staff in place. Wins are how our program is going to get better recruits. And I say this with the caveat recognizing that this staff seems to recruit pretty darn well, even though they aren't winning.

Right.

Getting the right coach is more important than one recruiting class.

I'm sorry.

I was just relating a situation that I know fairly well.

And, I think you may have missed the point.

There are of course instances where an assistant coach has become a very good head coach and was the right selection - Jim Boeheim is a good example of that .

In his case, back in 1976, JB was well qualified - had strong eastern basketball roots and probably would have been the selection or would have been a strong candidate, had the University conducted a full job search. He was the kind of guy that matched the job at that time - a job that was very regional. And, many believe, JB was doing much of the coaching anyway while he was the assistant during the Roy Danforth era.

The point of the post, and the lesson of the IU experience still holds - one recruiting class is not more important than securing the right coach and the assistant coach should be hired if he would have been hired following a national search.

I think generally this is true. I also think the story here is far, far from being told.

dinosaurbbq said:
Unless of course Dr. Gross' contract rewards him for high placing in the Directors Cup, which I firmly believe. In that case, you say Kudos Dr. Gross and thanks for being idiots to whoever drafted that contract.

That's pretty standard.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Pitt: Interim athletic director Randy Juhl tells TribLive the school will hire a football coach before a new athletic director, citing the importance of recruiting. The AD search will begin after Jan. 1, 2015. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, head-coaching experience is not a requirement, and a pro-style offense is ideal. MLive.com reports Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi has interviewed for the job.

CuseLegacy said:
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker Pitt: Interim athletic director Randy Juhl tells TribLive the school will hire a football coach before a new athletic director, citing the importance of recruiting. The AD search will begin after Jan. 1, 2015. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, head-coaching experience is not a requirement, and a pro-style offense is ideal. MLive.com reports Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi has interviewed for the job.

I'm sure every head coach candidate will line up for that plan.

At a school that has a new coach every year.

We'll never know the exact conversations, but my guess is that no one at SU expected Hackett to stay on if Shafer was picked over him. I'm also guessing that during the Shafer interview process he had to discuss what he was thinking about in terms of staff, and how he'd be getting some of the Western Michigan band back together.

I thought part of the deal was that Hackett was supposed to stay in an elevated sort of role. :noidea:

Chip said:
I'm sure every head coach candidate will line up for that plan. At a school that has a new coach every year.

No one with other good options will be interested. But there are always non-P5 head coaches, coordinators, or FCS coaches who will take that risk. It's probably the same pool we'll be fishing in soon anyway.

CuseLegacy said:
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker Pitt: Interim athletic director Randy Juhl tells TribLive the school will hire a football coach before a new athletic director, citing the importance of recruiting. The AD search will begin after Jan. 1, 2015. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, head-coaching experience is not a requirement, and a pro-style offense is ideal. MLive.com reports Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi has interviewed for the job.

Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Narduzzi could be G-Rob/Diaco type HC. I am fine with Pitt hiring him. I don't get how Pitt doesn't hire Holiday from Marshall, but please go ahead with Narduzzi.

I'm going to disagree on this one. I think Narduzzi would be a really good hire if Pitt got him. I've been really impressed with what he has done at Michigan State. I would imagine he probably has good recruiting ties to the area from his time in Cincinnati. That being said. I'm impressed with Holliday also, so I don't disagree with you on him at all.

I am not so sure Holiday is the holy grail. If they had any brains that would not have fired Wanny in the first place.

MSOrange said:
I'm going to disagree on this one. I think Narduzzi would be a really good hire if Pitt got him. I've been really impressed with what he has done at Michigan State. I would imagine he probably has good recruiting ties to the area from his time in Cincinnati. That being said. I'm impressed with Holliday also, so I don't disagree with you on him at all.

I don't think Narduzzi is any better than Bullough... Just has NFL talent and high rated guys.

The question always is now with Pitt - will the guy they hire actually stay?

Or is Pitt now the ultimate stepping stone school?

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Pitt: Interim athletic director Randy Juhl tells TribLive the school will hire a football coach before a new athletic director, citing the importance of recruiting. The AD search will begin after Jan. 1, 2015. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, head-coaching experience is not a requirement, and a pro-style offense is ideal. MLive.com reports Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi has interviewed for the job.
this is music to my ears

please give me an inexperienced pro style coach at pitt. maybe they'll hire pariani

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom