Pitt game thread... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt game thread...

Just an amazingly bad coaching performance. GMac or Red should have been screaming in Hops ear when it was 4-0, 6-0, 8-run. Just really bad coaching.
an amazingly bad coaching performance that had us up @ pitt with 4 mins to play? you need to give it a rest

an amazingly bad coaching performance that had us up @ pitt with 4 mins to play? you need to give it a rest

No I don't. You don't think Hop should have called timeout during that run? Amazing. You must be a pretty smart fellow.

The players didn't rebound.

They also shot 50 percent from the line.

They lost the game.

Even with all that, with 5 minutes left we were only down by 1 point. Whatever. Everyone has a opinion.

I think Hop mismanaged down the stretch but the players lost. Missed free throws and players not manning up in crunch time.

Awful rebounding is just a given.

Dave85 said:
Even with all that, with 5 minutes left we were only down by 1 point. Whatever. Everyone has a opinion.

We've lost plenty of games to Pitt that were close with 5 minutes to go.

It was really unbelievable! This is the first really big strike for me against Hop. He just gawked and stood there when the crowd was getting out of control and our guys were gassed. He probably still have 3 full time outs left. Just idiotic!
Do you think he should have called time out?

JB only wins at Pitt when players make 40 foot prayers.

They did win another one back in 2004 I believe. A godawful game where both teams didn't crack 50 with an overtime.

Coach Hop let the game get out of control. He should have called timeout during a late second half run. Instead he watched.
eh. yeah, a timeout would have helped but it doesn't change the problem that we just can't stop teams inside.

Can't be beat so badly on the boards and be able to win. 19-8 on the offensive glass is a joke. Can't give up 20 second chance points and expect to win games. It's not just being undersized. Fundamental weakness in not boxing out. Standing and watching the ball instead of moving into position for the board. No weak side box outs at all. Several times Pitt rebounded missed corner shots on the weak side. Inexcusable. This team needs every point it can get and leaving so many points at the free throw line really hurts. Gonna be a very frustrating season.

kcsu said:
Hop choked down the stretch. I think that JB pulls this game out

Pfft. JB doesn't win there either. I agree hop should have used a timeout or two, but the handwriting was on the wall. We weren't getting this those last few mins. Boards and inside defense killed us and there was nowheres to turn.

Why is Chino on this team? Was it part of a recruiting plan? It's disgusting that were Syracuse and stuck in this position where we literally can't even try to compete on the glass against teams like Wisconsin, Georgetown, St Johns and Pitt.

I asked this 2 years ago, got chastised on 3 pages of posts and banned for my efforts. Dude wasn't great in HS, didn't know how that would translate to Syracuse...

Dave85 said:
No I don't. You don't think Hop should have called timeout during that run? Amazing. You must be a pretty smart fellow.

He should have called a timeout but we would have still lost.

Madbiker said:
Can't be beat so badly on the boards and be able to win. 19-8 on the offensive glass is a joke. Can't give up 20 second chance points and expect to win games. It's not just being undersized. Fundamental weakness in not boxing out. Standing and watching the ball instead of moving into position for the board. No weak side box outs at all. Several times Pitt rebounded missed corner shots on the weak side. Inexcusable. This team needs every point it can get and leaving so many points at the free throw line really hurts. Gonna be a very frustrating season.

Even when we have big players, we struggle to rebound.

Think about that.

I'm curious what the rebounding numbers were with DC in...I know he only had 1 board, but it seemed a little more even with him in the game, he definitely has an edge to him that we're lacking when he's out. Pitt, UVA and UNC are probably the 3 most physical teams we will play all year. A&M had a huge team but we were fine, it's not "height" -- it's physicality.

I thought there was a rules change that only players could call time outs. Am I wrong? Not that Hop shouldn't have been screaming at someone to call one...

It's just maddening that we have these two upperclassmen enormous bodies on our roster in DC and Chino that should be defending the rim and cleaning up the glass, but we can't use them because neither one really knows how to play basketball. But they're on a basketball team.
Maybe having 3 former guards as assistants isn't the best idea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom