Players decide the game | Syracusefan.com

Players decide the game

Cuse House

All American
Give me a break with the Hop lost us the game talk. Let me remind you that a timeout does not guarantee anything! Coleman was still fouled out and Lydon was still at the 5 where he was getting torched down the stretch. We have two fifth year senior guards who did nothing the final five minutes. I understand people are upset, but blaming a coach for not calling a timeout as the reason for the loss is absurd. We were demolished on the glass and missed too many free throws. If anything, blame our recruiting for a lack of depth in the front court.

So go man to man, is Jimmy gonna call Hop's cell and cuss him out, if he is going to coach, coach. That being said if G hits a layup or a free throw every once in a while we do probably win

So go man to man, is Jimmy gonna call Hop's cell and cuss him out, if he is going to coach, coach. That being said if G hits a layup or a free throw every once in a while we do probably win
Other than rebounding the zone was actually pretty effective tonight. Held Pitt to a poor shooting percentage. Man to man would not change the fact we were smaller!

Rebounding lost us the game, so in that case it wasn't effective. Much easier to rebound in man to man

Rebounding lost us the game, so in that case it wasn't effective. Much easier to rebound in man to man
Right, so your adjustment would be to play a defense that we haven't used in a game for five years? You know, man to man has a lot of moving parts as well. Slides are huge in man to man defense. We may have rebounded better, but I guarantee we would have given up about 10 more easy layups too.

He did coach, made a few nice offensive adjustments in the second half which got syracuse a lead. Tried packing in the zone which worked most of the second half. Sometimes players need to make plays and shots down the stretch to pull a game out. I guess it's easier to always blame a coach then look at what caused a loss. And they wont go man, but if they do it won't be any good

Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity, any team, with any size or who plays more than 7 guys against us will either beat us or keep it close, oh hold on another alley oop for TSU's football player

Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity, any team, with any size or who plays more than 7 guys against us will either beat us or keep it close, oh hold on another alley oop for TSU's football player
You honestly think if syracuse comes out next game in man to man they won't get torched?

You honestly think if syracuse comes out next game in man to man they won't get torched?
I would love to see it. Oh man, I guarantee everyone calling for the break up of the zone would be all on board after that. Layup after layup would be had. Man 2 man can be torched just as easily as zone, without practicing the slides and playing it in a game we would absolutely get torched.

Why would we give up layup after layup? Do you know it for a fact or just surmising it. I would still play zone except against St Johns any any other team that is ranked in the top 150

Why would we give up layup after layup? Do you know it for a fact or just surmising it. I would still play zone except against St Johns any any other team that is ranked in the top 150
I'm guessing the 27 likes you've received have been from people with real senses of humor

I'm guessing the 27 likes you've received have been from people with real senses of humor
Lol I am done going back and forth with him. I find it sad that our fan base has such a lack in basic basketball knowledge. We play m2m and we would get beat to the rim and no one would be there. I just can't right now lol

Right, so your adjustment would be to play a defense that we haven't used in a game for five years? You know, man to man has a lot of moving parts as well. Slides are huge in man to man defense. We may have rebounded better, but I guarantee we would have given up about 10 more easy layups too.

Play a defense we haven't played in 5 years? Who cares. The only player on the team that hasn't played man in 5 years is Cooney.

Fact is every one of these guys has played man longer than they've played zone, with 3 freshman, 2 of which get major minutes have only played m2m. Throw in DC who is about as clueless with the zone as a virgin is with a hooker, you have 3 guys who don't play it well or would play man better, then you have G and Cooney left over. I think they two of them would be able to handle themselves m2m.

If the best 5 defensive HS players decided to play for us next year, would the excuse "we haven't played that defense in 5 years" work?

Play a defense we haven't played in 5 years? Who cares. The only player on the team that hasn't played man in 5 years is Cooney.

Fact is every one of these guys has played man longer than they've played zone, with 3 freshman, 2 of which get major minutes have only played m2m. Throw in DC who is about as clueless with the zone as a virgin is with a hooker, you have 3 guys who don't play it well or would play man better, then you have G and Cooney left over. I think they two of them would be able to handle themselves m2m.

If the best 5 defensive HS players decided to play for us next year, would the excuse "we haven't played that defense in 5 years" work?
Defense is all about repetition. Like I said in another post, if we started out playing man at the beginning of the season than sure. Muscle memory is huge, slides are learnt and can be forgotten. You can't not play man for 2 months and then expect slides to be on point which basically renders your defense of "they played it in high school," invalid. Besides, in high school many of them can get away with lazy slides and defense because of their athleticism so they never truly learn good defense to begin with. Everyone on the back line besides Lydon has been playing strictly zone for 2+ years (Coleman, Roberson, Chino) and the 4 and 5 position is typically the position out of place in m2m which equals layups.

Lol I am done going back and forth with him. I find it sad that our fan base has such a lack in basic basketball knowledge. We play m2m and we would get beat to the rim and no one would be there. I just can't right now lol
You are the all knowing all seeing eye of basketball knowledge, give me a break. You believe that these kids can't play man to man, I think JB just likes it when they talk about his zone defense. Oh

You are the all knowing all seeing eye of basketball knowledge, give me a break. You believe that these kids can't play man to man, I think JB just likes it when they talk about his zone defense. Oh
Not all knowing, just know more than you apparently.

Don't think so, How many more games do we win if we get out rebounded by 18 by playing zone, I will tell you, not many

Don't think so, How many more games do we win if we get out rebounded by 18 by playing zone, I will tell you, not many
So let's play ****** man defense and see how that goes for us.

It cant be worse a loss is a loss and don't get angry, do you remember when we played man to man all the time, the zone is in relative terms the less taught of the two defenses in terms of years

Everyone on the back line besides Lydon has been playing strictly zone for 2+ years (Coleman, Roberson, Chino) and the 4 and 5 position is typically the position out of place in m2m which equals layups.

Every guy you mentioned sucks in the zone. I'm not seeing how that proves your point. DC is the worst center to play in our zone since we started playing it. Chino, I'm just going to leave that alone. And Roberson was some how able to take down the #1 pick in the draft a few years ago playing man to man.

They're getting easy layups now, all while being dominated on the boards. I'd be shocked if an NBA team out rebounded the best HS basketball team by that many in a 40 minute game.

Marty Headd played m2m and so did Dr Hal Cohen, so saying we don't have guys that can do it now is mind boggling to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom