Players Returning Next Year | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

I remember that quote, and will use it in the future when deciding if Griffin is prone to hyperbole or tells it like it is.

Patterson being as good as Edwards at some point in the future seems highly unlikely...

Perhaps Griffin is just saying what Patterson needs to hear, or just likes to be a hype man, he is just plain wrong about Patterson, or we have a great big reason to be excited.

It is hard to guess which, considering I can't remember Griffin ever talking to the media prior to that attention grabbing quote.

And weren't Griffin's comments more about Patterson's physical maturity than skills?

I might be mis-remembering, but I thought it was something along the lines that Patterson is further along physically than Edwards was -- which has morphed into him being "better" than Jesse overall.

But again, I could be wrong.

Can’t tell people Derek Jeter is a horrible defender either.
One of the great offensive shortstops of all time, but cost his team wins every season on defense.

One of the great travesties of baseball awards is that he won even a single gold glove, much less ten.

Jeter had the range of a octogenarian and had to invent his stupid jump throw to make routine plays.

His "signature play" on defense was getting lost and wandering into the opponent's on deck circle when he was supposed to be covering second base. Luckily, the ball found him and he threw out Giambi at home despite being 100 feet out of position.

A legend is born!

Or it could imply that the best trio of frontcourt players is Brown / Freeman / Bell.

Despite the defensive issues of playing Brown at 5 extensively.

It's not an unreasonable opinion. I think Freeman could be elite at doing what Taylor is doing now, and Taylor is scoring 6 or 8 points in about 20 minutes the last few.

An offseason of weight training and maturity will probably make Brown an improved defensive presence down low.

Not to mention we will have one of the countries best shot blockers to bring out when necessary, stopping those long runs where teams dump the ball down to the low post over and over again.

We wouldn't be a great defensive team with Brown, Freeman, and Bell, but we could be a good team who scores enough (and turns over the opponents enough) to win a lot anyway.

How about both?
Because one has been talked about non stop for the last two years by everyone and their grandma and the other is not brought up nearly as much. That is all I am saying.

It's not an unreasonable opinion. I think Freeman could be elite at doing what Taylor is doing now, and Taylor is scoring 6 or 8 points in about 20 minutes the last few.

An offseason of weight training and maturity will probably make Brown an improved defensive presence down low.

Not to mention we will have one of the countries best shot blockers to bring out when necessary, stopping those long runs where teams dump the ball down to the low post over and over again.

We wouldn't be a great defensive team with Brown, Freeman, and Bell, but we could be a good team who scores enough (and turns over the opponents enough) to win a lot anyway.
I absolutely agree with this take.

McLeod has his problems, but he is an elite shotblocker. Having him to shut down the middle had a big effect on games before his injury. We might beat Clemson if we had him instead of Taylor next to Brown.

We were completely dominated inside in both games, with Clemson shooting 67% and 68% from 2 pointers in those two games. We also gave up 7.5 offensive rebounds a game in spite of Clemson rarely missing. McLeod isn't a great rebounder, but it wouldn't have been so painful to watch if he was in there for 20 minutes a game.

Last edited:
I might be mis-remembering, but I thought it was something along the lines that Patterson is further along physically than Edwards was -- which has morphed into him being "better" than Jesse overall.
That doesn't make any difference if it is the case. Jesse was way better as a frosh since Patterson was a red shirt on a team playing a PF at the 5 for the conference slate.

Because one has been talked about non stop for the last two years by everyone and their grandma and the other is not brought up nearly as much. That is all I am saying.
Yeah, I get what you are saying... JJ's only been here 1 year. Maybe by next year?

Also, tbf, It's not like posts about JJ's defensive metrics were deleted or anything. Anyone can post about JJ's defense.

Hate to break it to you, but the game has changed since the 90's.
Every pro team starts multiple bigs as do the better college teams. At one time or another S, DC, O, two of them always started together. You play your best players. A stud is not kept on the bench because of spacing concerns.

Every pro team starts multiple bigs as do the better college teams. At one time or another S, DC, O, two of them always started together. You play your best players. A stud is not kept on the bench because of spacing concerns.
You must not watch basketball because nobody plays with 2 bigs anymore. The only NBA team that plays 2 bigs is Minnesotta because of KAT's ability to able to stretch the floor. The current state of basketball moved on from 2 bigs a while ago. You spread the floor as much as possible and let your athletes play in space.

Last edited:
If we had that this year we would have been terrific. Hope Jesse's bag was big enough to make his year of crap worth it. If he stayed. And SU went far he could have a good job for life after hoops in central NY if he desired.
Good point - If he really thought he would have this bunch + Jesse, it makes me feel very good about Red’s vision.

I’m starting to believe this will be the goal for next year.

Love Cope, but he’s not a primary ball handler, but he can play a lot between the 1 & 3.
I don't see Copeland coming back to be a sub as a junior.

Yeah, I'm out if that's the case.

Good luck Red.
The team improved significantly once we kicked Benny off the team. Then we’d have 2 frosh plus Westry returning and McLeod. That’s reason to get excited. Upperclassmen heavy class with youth and reinforcements.

One of the great offensive shortstops of all time, but cost his team wins every season on defense.

One of the great travesties of baseball awards is that he won even a single gold glove, much less ten.

Jeter had the range of a octogenarian and had to invent his stupid jump throw to make routine plays.

His "signature play" on defense was getting lost and wandering into the opponent's on deck circle when he was supposed to be covering second base. Luckily, the ball found him and he threw out Giambi at home despite being 100 feet out of position.

A legend is born!
Grow up.

Run it back is the craziest thing I have seen. Like we didn't just sit through an entire season where outside of one game anyone ranked just overwhelmed us with talent.
Could not disagree more. They clearly to add a player or two - but I'd be thrilled to see the top 5 players return + westry + 2 freshmen.

Could not disagree more. They clearly to add a player or two - but I'd be thrilled to see the top 5 players return + westry + 2 freshmen.
yeah and you can't even call that "running it back" considering 3 key new players are being added

and it's always been weird to me how ppl won't acknowledge that players do improve (sometimes significantly) year over year

"run it back" implies status quo, doing next year exactly what was done this year

Then he probably wont be in the P5, he is far too erratic to be lead guard.
Q is only a sophomore. He’ll Improve his decision-making and become more consistent, just like he improved a ton from his freshman to his sophomore year. With his athleticism and creativity, Q has huge upside. I love how fans like you think these players are finished products and have no faith that they’ll grow and improve their games as upperclassmen.

Last edited:
Q is only a sophomore. He’ll Improve his decision-making and become more consistent, just like he improved a ton from his freshman to his sophomore year. With his athleticism and creativity, Q has huge upside. I love how fans like you think these players are finished products and have no faith that they’ll grow and improve their games as upperclassmen.
Nowhere did I say he wouldn't improve. I just don't think anyone is going to gift him a starting spot as a PG. Trust me, I would love to be wrong, but he is not consistent enough to be seen as a viable answer at PG. His shot is improving but its not great (which is a knock), he can make some flashy plays but he can also get lost with his dribble, and his decision making is seemingly improving but I think we can both agree there have been many times where he tried to go for flash over substance and it cost the team. Can he get past all that? Sure, but I don't think a team is going to be willing to bet on that in terms of filling their only starting PG spot.

Last edited:
Folks are crazy thinking Bell doesn’t start. The guy is an emerging star. (I was not a fan, not hopeful, last year or beginning this year.) His improvement is exponential. Red and staff are pushing the right buttons. Brown starts at center, and slides to the 4 when Freeman rests.
Nah, they’re gonna get a big bodied center from the portal. Maliq doesn’t want to play center full time. I agree with you on Bell coming back. My only caveat on that is if they find out they can land a high level SF from the portal who’s a good shooter, but can also drive, play good D and rebound. Otherwise I think they may just roll with Bell and then Westry and Freeman as the backups there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom