Players Returning Next Year | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

This would be the best outcome for all involved, so I hope it goes that way.

If the coaches want him gone, I 100% trust their decision - they've seen a lot more of him than the fans have.

I think Bell would benefit a lot from us having a deep enough roster to bench him when needed. Then Red can set the expectations for what he needs to do to keep his playing time. He has four big areas where he could make drastic improvements: shooting off screens, attacking off the dribble, defense, rebounding. If he improves any two of them enough, he becomes a star player IMO.

I agree with most of that - I'll be more worried than happy if he's back. He's got a shot at the NBA, and the G League probably maximizes his chances of that. But he could also make a lot more money the next two years at the college level than he could in the G League, and there's no guarantee he makes the NBA either way.

If I were advising him, I'd probably tell him enter the portal, take the biggest bag from a P5 school, and stay at the college level unless he's a lottery pick. He can probably make $1.5 mil over two years off NIL, clear about $1M after taxes. Put like $750K in the market and forget about it until your playing days are over, and you're set for life even if your playing days were spent entirely in the G League. Easier said than done for anyone that age, of course.
I wouldn’t give him $750. You can’t win with him. He’s a huge liability on defense and his teammates never know what he’s going to do. He’s a whiny, crybaby that wears thin with officials. He seems uncoachable.

I wouldn’t give him $750. You can’t win with him. He’s a huge liability on defense and his teammates never know what he’s going to do. He’s a whiny, crybaby that wears thin with officials. He seems uncoachable.
I wouldn't either, but I'm sure someone will. I kind of hope it's Georgetown!

I’m probably one of the more rational thinkers around. It seems you’re emotionally attached to GMac. No big deal, there’s lots of loyaltists on this board. Reality is I don’t see GMac improving as a coach and recruiter. He is what he is at this stage of his career. Change is needed.
I’m not emotionally attached to anyone. GMac, griff whoever nobody is getting let go this year. No reasonable manager does this after year one.

There will be players available. The key is finding the right ones that fit. Cincinnati picked up 2 under the radar transfers last year that would have helped this team. Simas Lukosius (6'8" 230 swingman) from Butler and Day Day Thomas (6'0" solid 185) from juco. They each averaged 10 ppg this season and the other night against WVU each hit 7 3's. They also brought in TWO centers 7'0" 235 Aziz Bandaego and 6'11" 275 Jamille Reynolds. Each would have helped SU more than McLeod in my opinion even had he stayed healthy. SU brought in 4 guys also. Only one of them really helped. My only point really is...there will be players available.
plus dont forget europe!

how much NBA talent right now is from Europe?

someone like Marek wasnt even on anyone's radar...

availability of talent is literally the last thing anyone should worry about...

being able to pick the right talent is the concern.

Maliq, JJ, Chance and Cuffe for starters are ideal kids for this staff to mold into what we want paired with the frosh. Q is this version of SU’s Devo but with the right group around him can be a great piece to add in that edge. Taylor needs to step down in competition level and i hope he crushes it. Bell and Judah both seem to fly to their own tune vs the coaching staffs despite their talent levels. Don’t know what to make of that but I don’t think it’s a fit to do everything we want in year two of Red if both stay. Carey, Hima move on with Taylor and the other two or one of the other two. McLeod and Patterson 7 footers as depth. Bring in some heavy hitting hired guns from the portal at PG and C or both depending on who goes and who stays

Not saying you’re wrong, but with what other four players would he be a good fit? Unless it’s flashy he won’t pass, he doesn’t take care of the ball, he can’t shoot, not a great defender, he argues with coaches, teammates and referees from the jump to the buzzer. He’s a flashy better ball handling Jalen Carey.

what does that even mean?

Since this has been asked twice, I'll take a stab.

Judah is saying teams game planned for him, he would have had a better year, but defenses worked to take him out of the offense, as the head of the Orange snake. Not sure how that makes him uncoachable, by itself, there's some truth to it. It certainly indicates one reason he's been so frustrated, and frustrating to watch. Maturity is what he needs most

its also not right to say judah doesnt care, he cried after we were bounced last year, he looked pissed in the post-game presser; he kind of made a weird comment about a new coaching staff but dont think you can read too much into it; i do think he had a lot of respect for jb though; you could tell by the way he listened to jb

Well...we played zone for the last 20 years. You would have seen worse if we played man full time. Not suggesting that JJ's good.
Doubt it, Joe Girard was one of the worst I’ve seen until I saw JJ, considering where JJ and Joe are ranked in defense, I doubt we’ve seen worse.

It's amazing how early in JB's career he had Louie and Bouie, Rony and DC, DC and Billy, Billy and Leron. Then he had Wallace and Hill. Their are others Blackwell, and Thomas, Melo and Hak.
The it seems after Arinze and Jackson J B stopped recruiting those players.
Speaking on full grown men: Coleman, Grant, McCullough and Lydon weren't exactly small guys

Your point that you don't watch much basketball other than Syracuse game? I'm honestly not sure of your point other than hyperbole. JJ is not the worst defender in college basketball in 20 years.
He has to be in the bottom 5%, he’s really that bad, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a worse reaction time.

GMAC would know that JB doesn't have authority to hire the next HC or promise who is next in line as HC so unless the promise came from JW it is worthless. And even then, situations change so promises can be broken.

You would never fire a HC and then hire the assistant who learned from the same guy and hope things would be different.

He has to be in the bottom 5%, he’s really that bad, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a worse reaction time.
He's 78th out of 79 players who play at least 20mpg in the ACC in DBPM after last night. He was 76 before yesterday's game. In defensive rating he is 73rd. So while he's not the worst defensive player in the ACC he is one of the worst. The rest of the guys near him at that ranking are Louisville or Georgia Tech players.

He's 78th out of 79 players who play at least 20mpg in the ACC in DBPM after last night. He was 76 before yesterday's game. In defensive rating he is 73rd. So while he's not the worst defensive player in the ACC he is one of the worst. The rest of the guys near him at that ranking are Louisville or Georgia Tech players.
So say he’s one of the worst this year. Not the worst ever.

It’s dumb Skip Bayless level conversation.

Jimmy was worse.
Jimmy wasn’t a guard, and I still wouldn’t think that, could probably count the times on one hand that JJ kept a guy in front of him.

He's in the bottom 5% in the last 20 years. That's your take?

So say he’s one of the worst this year. Not the worst ever.

It’s dumb Skip Bayless level conversation.
I don't disagree. The player you brought up actually had a slightly better DPM and had 2 people below him, not one. Water under the bridge at this point though.

I don't disagree. The player you brought up actually had a slightly better DPM and had 2 people below him, not one. Water under the bridge at this point though.
Because they played zone. If some of those guys were on an island, they would have been toast. He had a negative DBPM AT CORNELL

its also not right to say judah doesnt care, he cried after we were bounced last year, he looked pissed in the post-game presser; he kind of made a weird comment about a new coaching staff but dont think you can read too much into it; i do think he had a lot of respect for jb though; you could tell by the way he listened to jb
i like judah...i think he can be great...but he isnt actually there yet...despite great stats.

he can be frustrating to watch when he gets frustrated...

count me amongst the fans who would welcome him back next year...just with the caveat that the playing style has to change next year......

I really want a real PG brought in no matter what, though

He's in the bottom 5% in the last 20 years. That's your take?
you’re arguing and getting worked up about something I never even said. I said strictly as a “on-ball defender” he’s one of theworst I’ve ever seen. Where did I say completely as a defender? He may be in the bottom 5%, bottom 10%, 20% in totality. The difference is Minimal it’s not good regardless.

GMAC would know that JB doesn't have authority to hire the next HC or promise who is next in line as HC so unless the promise came from JW it is worthless. And even then, situations change so promises can be broken.

You would never fire a HC and then hire the assistant who learned from the same guy and hope things would be different.
Uh…

I’m not emotionally attached to anyone. GMac, griff whoever nobody is getting let go this year. No reasonable manager does this after year one.
In which they won 20 games. We here know, that the 20 weren't the most quality, but not everyone.

hates the refs ? does he think he deserves a foul every drive ? kid shot 264 ft's ! that's more than 2 pg (8.3) than the #2 guy (6.3) . it's crazy the number of whistles he draws .
too bad getting to the line is basically his only outstanding skill set. NBA don't care.
He hates the inconsistency. Like we all do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom