png no longer an accepted file type? | Syracusefan.com

png no longer an accepted file type?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I used to be able to post png images to share pictures and screenshots, but now I got a notice that it's not the right file type - did that change? If so, can we restore png as a file type?

I would screen shot the notification I get, but the irony is, I would not be able to post it.

You getting this:

"The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. The following extensions are allowed: .pdf, .jpe, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg"

Welcome to the club.

The previous problem (a few days ago) was because the server was filled (again). PNG files can be up to ten times the size of a jpeg. Please use gif, jpg/jpeg.

The only other option was to allow PNG, but delete those posts a week later, which creates other problems.

File size limit is 8192 kb.

Edit: I've installed a script addon that should be able to convert PNG to jpg directly on the server. If it works, PNG may be reallowed.

Last edited:
You getting this:

"The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. The following extensions are allowed: .pdf, .jpe, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg"

Welcome to the club.
Yes.

But why?

Edit - posted this before seeing Temery's response

The previous problem (a few days ago) was because the server was filled (again). PNG files can be up to ten times the size of a jpeg. Please use gif, jpg/jpeg.

The only other option was to allow PNG, but delete those posts a week later, which creates other problems.

File size limit is 8192 kb.

Edit: I've installed a script addon that should be able to convert PNG to jpg directly on the server. If it works, PNG may be reallowed.
It would be great if that works. I'm not sure how to convert from my phone.

Yes.

But why?

Edit - posted this before seeing Temery's response

71uy+J2v0LL.jpg

It would be great if that works. I'm not sure how to convert from my phone.

If you're at home and you have either Paint or Paint3D available, simply open the image in Paint/3D and save it as a jpg.

Converting on your phone isn't that easy. You'd have to download some sort of photo editing software to the phone.

If you're at home and you have either Paint or Paint3D available, simply open the image in Paint/3D and save it as a jpg.

Converting on your phone isn't that easy. You'd have to download some sort of photo editing software to the phone.
Yeah, I, uh... I don't want to have to figure that out.

You getting this:

Welcome to the club.

And, apparently, every image on the NET is none of those. The page freezes up when I try to post any image from any source, either directly or through "attach files". For a while, I could put the image on WORD, resize it and save it to a picture file, hit attach files and chose the picture from that file. But that doesn't work any more. In the good old days, I could put it on WORD, resize it, copy it and post it directly to my comment, or just post it directly if it was small enough. Now posting an image is basically impossible.

Try this:

Right click on the image you want to post from the Internet.

Click "copy image address"

On here, click "insert image":

SF42.jpg

Click on the link:

SF43.jpg

Paste the URL you saved in the box.

Hit "insert"

That didn't work, either. I clicked on the "Insert Image" box and it said "Drop Image or Click Here".
When I tried to 'drop' and image, (right click on it and drag it), I got the usual statement that it's not pdf, jpe, git, jpg or jpeg so it won't work. When I right clocked on the box, I got a box with all my files which directed me to the last picture I'd tried to save. i couldn't drag that either. I could copy it but when I right clicked on the box, there was no 'paste' option. I got:
Back
Forward
Reload
Save As
Print
Cast
Search images with Google
Send to your devises
Create QR code for this page
Transcribe to English
Open in Reading Mode
View Page Source
Inspect

but no 'Paste'. And there was no 'insert' button.

That didn't work, either. I clicked on the "Insert Image" box and it said "Drop Image or Click Here".
When I tried to 'drop' and image, (right click on it and drag it), I got the usual statement that it's not pdf, jpe, git, jpg or jpeg so it won't work. When I right clocked on the box, I got a box with all my files which directed me to the last picture I'd tried to save. i couldn't drag that either. I could copy it but when I right clicked on the box, there was no 'paste' option. I got:
Back
Forward
Reload
Save As
Print
Cast
Search images with Google
Send to your devises
Create QR code for this page
Transcribe to English
Open in Reading Mode
View Page Source
Inspect

but no 'Paste'. And there was no 'insert' button.

Did you click on the thing that looks like a chain (and NOT the thing that looks like a mushroom)?

SF43.jpg

Try this:

Right click on the image you want to post from the Internet.

Click "copy image address"

On here, click "insert image":

View attachment 238381

Click on the link:

View attachment 238382

Paste the URL you saved in the box.

Hit "insert"

Your first image has an arrow pointing to the box entitled "insert image". Your second image has an arrow pointing to the chain entitled "Insert Link". I copied an image and tried to put it in "Insert link" and that didn't work. I could insert the URL but we can already do that just by putting it in the message box itself. I did put the URL of the image there and got "Redirect Notice", which gets you the same page. Neither puts the image in my message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom