POLL: Schedule Yukon Again? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

POLL: Schedule Yukon Again?

Schedule Yukon Again?

• Total voters
SU has to wait to see if UConn drops down to FCS before scheduling them.

no games at U Conn, don't even want to do a neutral game. Dome only. The way I figure it, they are a slam dunk win, giving them a check will only prolong their agony as a football program, instead of having mercy and letting them die quickly. Also, if he is even around for much longer, it is priceless to see Edsall and his smug/arrogant/chip on the shoulder attitude get smacked around.
Easy win in NYC is good for alumni engagement. UConn is an easy win, and they’d happily play us in NYC.

Neutral games also aren’t part of the ACC TV deal, so we’d pocket held the TV money, which would take a hit from playing UConn, but would take a bump from being in a neat venue.

1-0-1 is s good setup for us.

I agree with Frozen that there is a good possibility UConn will drop to the FCS level in a couple of years.

Going independent is tough for anyone. UConn Is going to have a really hard time getting P5 opponents to play at the Rent. It isn’t an area teams are going to want to play for recruiting purposes. As much as their fans might like to dream it, getting teams to play at the Rent by offering them a chance to play them in basketball has no appeal any longer. That program isn’t what it once was.

Anyway, I think scheduling is going to be a bear. They should be able to get games in September but once conference play starts, few schools in conferences are going to want to play OOC. I don’t see them being able to make it happen. The alternatives are dropping football entirely or dropping to FCS level.

Either way ill burn the teams that schedule them. We can only count one win against an FCS opponent for bowl eligibility. We don’t want to get in a position where UConn drops football and we have to scramble for an opponent at the last minute.

That said, I think our model for scheduling OOC now is that if the opponent is not P5, we want a home only or at least a 2 for 1 (as done with Western Michigan). If UConn is okay with a 2 for 1 or a single game at the Dome, I think we might go for it. If UConn drops to the FCS level, those games could become our FCS games. We seem to wait late to book our annual FCS game.

I personally would rather play 2 for 1s or home onlys against teams we have some history with. Further, I would rather play 2 for 1s against a team that is an easy car ride from Syracuse. West Hartford is a lot easier to get to for me than Kalamazoo. And lastly, Connecticut is a more important recruiting area for us than say, the western part of Michigan.

2 for 1s or home onlys against Buffalo, UConn, Temple. Those work for me.

Why would we agree to EVER play at the Rent again?
I see zero value in that.
If we ever play them, it should be 2 games at the Dome, and 1 game at Giants Stadium.

Sometimes it’s fun to go to another team’s stadium, dominate the crowd and dominate the game.

It was in Foxborough, but it wasn't played at Gillette. The game was played at Sullivan Stadium (formerly Schaefer Stadium), which was razed in 2002 after Gillette Stadium was built.

Cool. Never realized it wasn’t the same stadium. I went to Schaefer for 2 BC games I think and a bunch of games for the World Cup in 1994. Not my favorite stadium. Getting in and out was remarkably awful.

Thank God BC didn’t have a lot of fans. They still don’t, come to think about it...

Cool. Never realized it wasn’t the same stadium. I went to Schaefer for 2 BC games I think and a bunch of games for the World Cup in 1994. Not my favorite stadium. Getting in and out was remarkably awful.

Thank God BC didn’t have a lot of fans. They still don’t, come to think about it...
Yeah, but they have super fans ... LOL

It is a fairly painless road-trip from 315. Because no one gives a crap about Yukon Football and their fanbase lives locally and arrives by ´86 IROC there is little demand on motels in the area. I found decent corporate catering motels for cheap on the weekend in Hartford.
That got me laughing .. so harsh.

The two things UConn football is best at doing are stinking and sinking. Fear not. No amount of our help will save them.

Didn't we lose to them once or twice in Randy's first stint as coach?
Why live through that again, even if the chance is tiny? Why risk that?

We have sucked for so long, and now we seem to have finally turned the corner, back to who we used to be a generation ago. I'd rather play Army at West Point, a million times over. I'd rather play Holy Cross, UMass, Colgate or anyone else, really.

Didn't we lose to them once or twice in Randy's first stint as coach?
Why live through that again, even if the chance is tiny? Why risk that?

We have sucked for so long, and now we seem to have finally turned the corner, back to who we used to be a generation ago. I'd rather play Army at West Point, a million times over. I'd rather play Holy Cross, UMass, Colgate or anyone else, really.
If you’re comparing GRob’s teams to Dino’s team, then you lost me. If you’re comparing UConn in a ‘Power Conference’ to now, then you lost me. If you’re doing both, then you really lost me.

This is sorta a trick question because there’s 2 correct answers, but as of now the fact that 68 of you still got it wrong disturbs me.

If you’re comparing GRob’s teams to Dino’s team, then you lost me. If you’re comparing UConn in a ‘Power Conference’ to now, then you lost me. If you’re doing both, then you really lost me.

UConn has had "beatable" hoops teams that we've lost to, too. Like just last year at the Garden.

We are their Super Bowl. We will always get their best effort of the season.

I have no need to offer them opportunities at "good" wins ever again.

Have we learned nothing, about crap programs who made their names by beating us?

UConn has had "beatable" hoops teams that we've lost to, too. Like just last year at the Garden.

Have we learned nothing, about crap programs who made their names by beating us?
If you’re comparing UConn basketball to UConn football, then you lost me.

The basketball team has athletes. The football team has conscripts.

And ‘beatable’ does not mean ‘almost sure win.’ UConn football is record-settingly bad. If you’re worried about losing to them, then how do you feel about the other 11 teams on the schedule? Should we stop playing FCS buy games? We’re their super bowl, and I can’t say that a top tier FCS team is worse that UConn - especially early in the year where depth doesn’t matter as much.

Agree. Although I’d play them at MSG once every 5 or 6 years. We should change the opponents play Nova and some other BE foes like Seton Hall or Providence and occasionally try and get a Big 12 or PAC 12 school there UCLA/KU etc.

Agree. Although I’d play them at MSG once every 5 or 6 years. We should change the opponents play Nova and some other BE foes like Seton Hall or Providence and occasionally try and get a Big 12 or PAC 12 school there UCLA/KU etc.
(You’re talking about 2 different sports)

They give us 4 for 1, or we walk.

I'm being serious.
In terms of who owns rights, I would only offer 3 games, all owned by Syracuse/ACC. 1 game played in the Dome and 2 in Yankee Stadium, or vice versa. I would oppose ever playing UConn in CT.

(You’re talking about 2 different sports)

I thought the dude quoted was talking hoops.

As for football there’s a reason we won’t play a road game @ UB or @ Umass so I understand adding uconn to that list. I also don’t think they’d want to give us 2 for 1. But they’d be a safe bet to not get scary good overnight. We’re lucky that Moore kid isn’t gonna be at Purdue when we play them that would be a scary game if it were next year. I’d also assume Army loses some of this steam by 2023.

I thought the dude quoted was talking hoops.

As for football there’s a reason we won’t play a road game @ UB or @ Umass so I understand adding uconn to that list. I also don’t think they’d want to give us 2 for 1. But they’d be a safe bet to not get scary good overnight. We’re lucky that Moore kid isn’t gonna be at Purdue when we play them that would be a scary game if it were next year. I’d also assume Army loses some of this steam by 2023.
His comment is that we should never play UConn in football in the regular season, ever, no matter what because we might lose.

He listed losing to them in basketball as support that they might beat us in football.

I said that analogy doesn’t make sense. You responded to his post like he was talking about basketball (probably because discussing UConn FB as an equal to UConn BB is a big jump).

I’d agree that a 1-1 deal shouldn’t happen. I’d be good w/ 0-1, 1-0-1, or +2-1. Playing at Yankee Stadium is good for alumni engagement, and it would bring in incremental TV revenue. The above is doubly true if it’s an easy win and won’t cost us a home game.

They both die together. Don't you get that?
Huh?

There’s very little connection between the sports. Name a school that’s good at one. It’s probably terrible at the other (Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, Alabama, TAMU, PSU, Nebraska, etc). There are exceptions (tOSU, Michigan, ND, etc.), sure, but the two sports going up or down together isn’t the rule.

Wow, I'm really surprised by anyone that wants to avoid them for fear of losing. You must have PTSD from the GRob Big East days. If you can entertain the idea that we would lose to them, ban yourself from any Clemson game discussions. I look at it from the opposite end. I say we crush UConn from time to time to gibe us an easy game and solidify their rightful place in suckitude.

Wow, I'm really surprised by anyone that wants to avoid them for fear of losing. You must have PTSD from the GRob Big East days. If you can entertain the idea that we would lose to them, ban yourself from any Clemson game discussions. I look at it from the opposite end. I say we crush UConn from time to time to gibe us an easy game and solidify their rightful place in suckitude.

Not for fear of losing, per se. It's fear of helping them. That's what we don't need to do.

Huh?

There’s very little connection between the sports. Name a school that’s good at one. It’s probably terrible at the other (Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, Alabama, TAMU, PSU, Nebraska, etc). There are exceptions (tOSU, Michigan, ND, etc.), sure, but the two sports going up or down together isn’t the rule.

I think you're going to find that you're mistaken. You can't run big deficits forever. Eventually, reality is going to catch up with them and they won't have the resources to compete, in terms of recruiting budgets, coaches' salaries and facilities. The tiny budget of the Big East is going to doom them to second tier status. One weekend per year at the Garden won't change that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom