Post-Standard Coverage of Syracuse Football | Syracusefan.com

Post-Standard Coverage of Syracuse Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
First, this is not a dig at the writers covering the team. They are doing a fine job. In fact, I think Stephen Bailey is the best beat writer for SU football in my lifetime.

But I really miss Dave Rahme and the value he brought to the PS in his role as an analyst. For each game he provided a detailed scouting reports of the opponent, speculated on how Syracuse might approach things on offense and defense, etc. And then his analysis after the game, again focused on strategy, why certain plays worked or didn't work, why teams tried to do certain things, how teams countered schemes, etc.

He was the only person who filled that role in the media covering Syracuse football and it is really disappointing that the PS has not moved to try and fill it again.

Speaking of disappointment, unless I missed it, the Post-Standard had no formal preseason guide to Syracuse football. Don't think they had one last year either. For many years, the PS and DO published preseason guides for SU football. The DO still does (it just came out; there are links to it on the football board now). It is sad that the PS has stopped theirs.

Totally agree about Rahme. Having never played football myself, he helped me understand the game so much better. I think they stopped the preseason guide once online coverage became such a prominent part of their coverage. They roll out the articles a few at a time now instead of one big guide. But I totally agree, the preseason guide was when I knew it was time for football.

The problem is that a guy with the writing chops and knowledge about football, like Rahme, is probably more experienced than Syracuse.com can probably afford. They're only going to hire at an entry-level salary, and that's not an entry level skill.

Something tells me Rahme wouldn't have had the same access to coaches and info he might have had at one time.

Bailey is okay, but when he whines like he did in an article yesterday (access to players being limited, particularly for "post-grad adult" players), he loses my respect.

Something tells me Rahme wouldn't have had the same access to coaches and info he might have had at one time.

Agreed. Rahme's articles were produced at the level they were in large part because Marrone allowed him a certain level of access.

Not to minimize his ability to write and understand the game, but without that access - which Babers wouldn't allow in a million years - those stories don't get written.

Bailey is okay, but when he whines like he did in an article yesterday (access to players being limited, particularly for "post-grad adult" players), he loses my respect.
Exactly and his complaining about it won't make it better. Problem is most if not all of the Syracuse football writers at PS are relatively new to covering Syracuse football in general and have no real connection with the program. I know some people have respect for Bailey and he comes on this board, I know he's trying but he's mediocre in my eyes at best.

Anybody heard from Rahme lately? For a couple of seasons he was covering SU and Cornell LAX for Inside Lacrosse, but there was nothing from him last year.

First, this is not a dig at the writers covering the team. They are doing a fine job. In fact, I think Stephen Bailey is the best beat writer for SU football in my lifetime.

But I really miss Dave Rahme and the value he brought to the PS in his role as an analyst. For each game he provided a detailed scouting reports of the opponent, speculated on how Syracuse might approach things on offense and defense, etc. And then his analysis after the game, again focused on strategy, why certain plays worked or didn't work, why teams tried to do certain things, how teams countered schemes, etc.

He was the only person who filled that role in the media covering Syracuse football and it is really disappointing that the PS has not moved to try and fill it again.

Speaking of disappointment, unless I missed it, the Post-Standard had no formal preseason guide to Syracuse football. Don't think they had one last year either. For many years, the PS and DO published preseason guides for SU football. The DO still does (it just came out; there are links to it on the football board now). It is sad that the PS has stopped theirs.
Yep ,always purchased a hard copy of the Pre season special. Sucks they stopped it.

Exactly and his complaining about it won't make it better. Problem is most if not all of the Syracuse football writers at PS are relatively new to covering Syracuse football in general and have no real connection with the program. I know some people have respect for Bailey and he comes on this board, I know he's trying but he's mediocre in my eyes at best.
Bailey is really good and we're lucky to have had him as long as we have, the board in particular. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

That's a really good point. It doesn't seem like Dino is letting anyone get too much information.

Bailey is really good and we're lucky to have had him as long as we have, the board in particular. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ha ok. Watch those guys on facebook when they go live and tell me they are pros.

I agree. I actually like Bailey, but that article yesterday just came across as whining about not being able to get much information.

Agreed. Dino is holding his card close to the vest, and that goes for everyone. Limiting access to players and coaches makes it even harder.

But Rahme was really knowledgeable about the game. He played it in college, he did his homework and it showed. Some of what he wrote about was provided by coaches but he added a lot of his own thoughts, especially when doing the pregame analysis.

His insights are greatly missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom