Postgame Thoughts… Indiana | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Indiana

They could have packed it in so many times. So many things went horrifically wrong, and they won. Given all the negativity I’ve contributed, I’m happy that all my assumptions every time something went wrong were wrong.
Agreed lol. Credit to them for actually showing some heart and not folding. They battled back hard and got some contributions from unexpected ppl. Hopefully this boosts us and turns the season around.

We are an old Iowa Fran McCaffrey team.

Can’t play defense at all.
Can shoot and make shots.

It’s fun to watch but it’s not a good team.

This team is not a NCAAT team.
We will see. 7-4 non conference. 12-8 conference and 1-1 in ACC tourney will get you in. It’s not ideal but would be a 10-11 seed and a chance to win a couple.

Cuse!

Good to see us win and positivity on one of the two teams boards I cheer for.

Here is how the Raptors board I frequent (Real GM) looks after another loss.

View attachment 211315
Lol. They won an NBA championship after that most absurd game winning shot off all time in the ECF. They should give them at least a 5 year grace period.

Assume we will get better. Better to get to NCAAS… who knows

This team will shoot top 20 teams out of a gym this year. And will shoot themselves in the foot against a BC team

I do like the grit of them. They are a likeable flawed team that I can root for

Well put!

There was zero part of me that thought we would win tonight.

I don’t understand how Jimmy does anything on the court, but it works.

If there was ever a “point back to” game, this is it… Let’s hope we’re able to do that.

Benny is absolutely lost in the zone. No clue. He’s not going to play much moving forward unless he starts to get it.

Got to flip him and Anselem in the rotation.

Frank should be playing when Edwards is on the floor on the wing.

Edwards is great but hopefully not so good that he leaves early there won't be many center minutes available if hes not in foul trouble.

White knuckler for sure. I think I picked a bald spot into my beard...

Double OT, down two starters, and down by four points they gutted it out. I usually don't like the must-win game stuff this early, but it really did feel like if they let that one slip away it would have been really dark times.

Phew.

We are an old Iowa Fran McCaffrey team.

Can’t play defense at all.
Can shoot and make shots.

It’s fun to watch but it’s not a good team.

This team is not a NCAAT team.
Nice win. Though we tried hard to give it away. Should have won in regulation but so many mistakes.

A lot more needed from those three, but there is potential. I actually think Joe has to TRY to do less in order to accomplish more.
Try harder in defense, try to calm the fluck down on offense. Less dribbles. Less contested 3s. Less deep 3s. Take good 3s that you can make, dribble with a purpose, and move the ball. And try harder on defense. The number of times where guys dribble by him while he stands up straight is just absurd….like he’s not expected to even try to be decent on defense.

Indiana adjusted at half to our defense but we did not come out with any options if they did? Should have had an early TO and adjusted to their "new offense". Of course shooting out of their mind did not hurt them!

We will see. 7-4 non conference. 12-8 conference and 1-1 in ACC tourney will get you in. It’s not ideal but would be a 10-11 seed and a chance to win a couple.

Cuse!

Will need to see the mix of that "12-8" in ACC.
Because that might not mean much this year, with much less Q1+Q2 wins available in conference than normal due to how bad the conference has been.

Looking at the box score, I see some interesting things. Real examples of "feast or famine".

• We were out-rebounded 47-30. That's Minus 17 possessions.
  • On the other hand, we got a lot of those possessions back with other aspects of our defense - we had 18 steals to their 6, plus 4 blocks to 0. That's 22 to 6 - Plus 16 possessions, offsetting their huge advantage on the boards.
  • They passed the ball better than us - 26 assists to 16. They outshot us by a little, but not a lot.
  • They might have played a couple guys more than us, but neither team got much from its bench.
  • Pretty equal in fouls; pretty equal in free throws.
All of those add up to your classic nail-biter - even though we might have absolutely sucked at some things, we somehow made up for it with other types of plays - and in nail biters, JB usually wins.

This one is his, as much as Frank's or Jimmy's. Very happy for a significant win.

We also blew a massive lead early second half, and another 2 possession lead late. This could have been an all time blown game, honestly.

Thankfully we can shove that under the rug… out of sight out of mind. Right?
That was my fault I turned on the game in the 2nd half when we were up 12. Within minutes we were tied. I shut it off and just pretended they werent playing. That seems to have been the right call for the team but I missed a thriller. Worth the trade off I suppose.

My wife was fired up for the second OT. Not quite this...

indiana-fan-bra-panties-a83777b7b2c43015c7264a03ae5c48b9.jpg

But close enough.

Last edited:
can flame me if you want but IMO Jimmy showed the most grit on the whole team tonight. Without his play and tenacity when we first got down in the 2nd half seemed to rally the team out of a temporary slumber.
I thought the 3 he hit from the corner when we were crumbling was the most important basket of the game. We might get run out if that doesn’t go down.

Got to flip him and Anselem in the rotation.

Frank should be playing when Edwards is on the floor on the wing.

Edwards is great but hopefully not so good that he leaves early there won't be many center minutes available if hes not in foul trouble.
I don't think JB wants to risk fouls faster on the guys he needs at center. Frank still has a lot to learn about staying out of foul trouble. Jesse is still making some bad fouls himself.

They could have packed it in so many times. So many things went horrifically wrong, and they won. Given all the negativity I’ve contributed, I’m happy that all my assumptions every time something went wrong were wrong.
That said, this team is old and experienced overall.

And they committed 25 turnovers.

We have work to do, but this was a job well done at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom