Postgame Thoughts… Indiana | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Indiana

JB’s been criticized for years for not fouling in that situation; e.g. the end of regulation in the Duke game when SU was undefeated.

ACC is so weak this year, I think we can finish in top 5 and get a NCAA bid. So far I think only Duke and Louisville are better than us. We need to beat Florida State and Virginia, then we can secure a bid as long as we are ahead of Virginia and Florida State.

My was fired up for the second OT. Not quite this...

indiana-fan-bra-panties-a83777b7b2c43015c7264a03ae5c48b9.jpg

But close enough.

Now where is that NYC subway rat when you need him???

Benny is not going pro next year.

I think most people thought that he would be here for 2 years. If we are as good at developing talent as advertised, we should get this kid to the league.

I don't think JB wants to risk fouls faster on the guys he needs at center. Frank still has a lot to learn about staying out of foul trouble. Jesse is still making some bad fouls himself.

It would be so significant if they could each cut down just 1 or 2 "bad fouls" per game (reaching, especially).

If they can do that, then they can stay on the floor longer every game.

Looking at the box score, I see some interesting things. Real examples of "feast or famine".

• We were out-rebounded 47-30. That's Minus 17 possessions.
  • On the other hand, we got a lot of those possessions back with other aspects of our defense - we had 18 steals to their 6, plus 4 blocks to 0. That's 22 to 6 - Plus 16 possessions, offsetting their huge advantage on the boards.
  • They passed the ball better than us - 26 assists to 16. They outshot us by a little, but not a lot.
  • They might have played a couple guys more than us, but neither team got much from its bench.
  • Pretty equal in fouls; pretty equal in free throws.
All of those add up to your classic nail-biter - even though we might have absolutely sucked at some things, we somehow made up for it with other types of plays - and in nail biters, JB usually wins.

This one is his, as much as Frank's or Jimmy's. Very happy for a significant win.

One more thought - if we can get Frank and and Jesse's rebounding up just 1 or 2 a game for each of them, that will do wonders for our interior defense.

Speaking of which, for all the talk of them being soft, Jimmy and Cole are both averaging over 6 rebounds a game. They are not that far from where we need them to be.

The front line defense needs more Symir, but this could go from being one of the worst defenses in America to just about average.

The Andrew White / John Gillon team was kind of like that. So was one of the early Buddy era teams; terrible defensively early, and then got reasonably good by January, better than expected, based on their performances earlier in the season.

I don’t want to be negative, but this is one of the worst get-back-on-D-after-a-miss teams I can recall in recent memory.

That, fortunately, can be drilled into them. They need to still work on the base defense first.

I thought the 3 he hit from the corner when we were crumbling was the most important basket of the game. We might get run out if that doesn’t go down.
Some toughness and maturity to rally the squad, I'm betting his vocal leadership as well gave a morale boost to the team just when we needed it. Kudos to everyone for toughing it out into OTs and especially with Jesse fouled out.

Nova is twice as difficult a game as FSU. We can beat FSU I will be shocked if we beat Nova

We can win either IMO. We will have to outscore Nova. FSU isn’t as good as they have been the past 5 years. Even with our weaknesses we shouldn’t fear any ACC team outside of Duke.

And I think about me and 3 others thought we would win tonight. Indiana is good. The big kid is a legit All American.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom