Postgame Thoughts… Indiana | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Indiana

Nova is twice as difficult a game as FSU. We can beat FSU I will be shocked if we beat Nova
Hmm… really? FSU seems to be the type of athletic team who will give us fits.

Nova has shooters…but is possibly a team we can 1)win a shootout against 2) win if they have an off day? They may run us, but I at least see a potential path or two?

What’s the path to beating FSU?

Joe Girard, 6-13 5 turnovers 5 assists. That's 11-23 if you move assists and turnovers to shots.
Good job buddy keeping his head up for the pass, 8 assists.

That was an Awesome Win!!!

Benny is absolutely lost in the zone. No clue.
We’re giving up 100 points anyway whether he’s out there or not. Defense as a whole has much bigger issues than one player. We need to give him every opportunity to figure things out if they have any chance to improve.

We’re giving up 100 points anyway whether he’s out there or not. Defense as a whole has much bigger issues than one player. We need to give him every opportunity to figure things out if they have any chance to improve.
He almost single handedly lost the game by not being able to simply box out a free throw.

Not suggesting he shouldnt play at all or anything, but I think giving him "every opportunity" has passed. He'll play when he has to.

The front line defense needs more Symir, but this could go from being one of the worst defenses in America to just about average.
Based on tonight? Optimism is great but I haven’t seen any indication they are poised to improve on D. Then again the bar is so low right now.

Got to flip him and Anselem in the rotation.

Frank should be playing when Edwards is on the floor on the wing.

Edwards is great but hopefully not so good that he leaves early there won't be many center minutes available if hes not in foul trouble.
Pretty sure JB called the TO on their inbounds at the end so Jessie and Frank knew what they were supposed to do. Then Jessie looks back at the bench to see if they wanted him jumping up and down in front of the inbounds passer.
Oy

He almost single handedly lost the game by not being able to simply box out a free throw.

Not suggesting he shouldnt play at all or anything, but I think giving him "every opportunity" has passed. He'll play when he has to.
He got blown out by a much heavier guy. Did everything he could but was the wrong guy for the job.

Hmm… really? FSU seems to be the type of athletic team who will give us fits.

Nova has shooters…but is possibly a team we can 1)win a shootout against 2) win if they have an off day? They may run us, but I at least see a potential path or two?

What’s the path to beating FSU?
They have played worse than we have this year. I also watched them against B.U. I was not impressed. Road game makes it tough. Nova is just too well coached.

They have played worse than we have this year. I also watched them against B.U. I was not impressed. Road game makes it tough. Nova is just too well coached.
I hope you are right. I’ll gladly take either one. But we need one of those. And GTown.

I hope you are right. I’ll gladly take either one. But we need one of those. And GTown.

We should have blown Indiana out tonight we showed up playing our best and they were a road team not really clicking.

Hopefully nearly blowing the game focuses the team for Saturday. One of my issues with our teams last couple years is we seem to bring out everyone’s A games and they start draining 3s and grabbing every board against us. Kinda worried we are looking at 3 games of that.

We should have blown Indiana out tonight we showed up playing our best and they were a road team not really clicking.

Hopefully nearly blowing the game focuses the team for Saturday. One of my issues with our teams last couple years is we seem to bring out everyone’s A games and they start draining 3s and grabbing every board against us. Kinda worried we are looking at 3 games of that.
So we’re kind of like Duke, yes? :rolleyes:

I don’t want to be negative, but this is one of the worst get-back-on-D-after-a-miss teams I can recall in recent memory.

Agreed.

And I had griped about how it seems like Buddy and Joe NEVER follow their own shots, which leads to them missing out on easy rebounds on the misses, which often come right back to where they had been standing, except they slowly drift backwards after their shots, admiring their misses.

So - either they go after the damn O-rebs, OR they hustle their asses back on D.
You cannot not do BOTH of those things.

An upside of last night was that we shot 49% and won. Only games we won prior to that involved shooting 54% or better. This team is likely going to play crummy D and get owned on the boards, so I think our path is to find the level where our shooting can overcome those deficiencies.

I don’t want to post negativity but thinking about last nights game this team has no chance to beat anybody decent unless we are firing on all cylinders and play our absolute super bowl a+ best game of the year. We hit every big shot we needed and still almost lost.

Some thoughts on yesterday's odyssey.
-If we had lost that game it might have been the single worst loss since I started rooting for the Orange as far as the actual game (obviously not taking into account what was at stake, just the actual way the game went). It was incredible to watch, blowing a 16 point halftime lead in under ten minutes, blowing a 9 point lead with around 4 minutes to go and then blowing a three point lead in the final second. and then blowing another three point lead in the OT by fouling a three point shooter. Why do we deserve such agony, especially considering we already have the football program?
-I was livid when Frank jogged back and gave up that layup, as was the announcer for that matter who killed him in an unlike espn manner (which is a good thing as ESPN is awful). But give him credit for making those free throws. Overall I thought he was active and he did not panic when he got a board and was pressed.
-I think this board is way too ref obsessed, but on a few occasions it was more than warranted. They were not good, especially the phantom call on Buddy on the left corner three that was all air. I also didn't think Jackson-Davis was fouled at he end of regulation. But I also thought we got the benefit of some poor calls most notably on Cole's three point shot.
-Cole got killed on the game thread. I don't get the hate. The kid is absolutely engaged out there. He is adapting to a bigger and different role in a new environment. 14 points and 4 boards on 3/8 shooting and 7/9 from the line isn't bad. The three to tie it at 94 showed major stones as did the late free throws. He deflected some balls on defense and with one exception was aggressive going for loose balls.
-We lost the halftime lead in the second half in large part due to poor shot selection early in the shot clock by Joe and Buddy and to a lesser extent Jimmy. I can't fathom why we didn't make more of an effort to drive and dish or toss the ball in to Jesse who was getting good looks every single time.
-Buddy went cold at times but give the kid credit to want the ball late in the second ot and deliver the goods. His conditioning and hard work paid off and he had the legs to score despite going all 50.
-i find JG3 frustrating because his turnovers are avoidable and he still takes bad shots. If he took better care of the ball and only shot when he was open and not off balance he would be such an asset. My guess is that when he has a good shot his percentage is close to fifty and when he fades or steps back it is close to 20%. But he also came up big and his numbers were tasty last night. I wouldn't mind JB shifting him to the 2 and having symir run the point and getting Buddy some rest in the first half. Or putting Cole at the 2 to rest Buddy.
-I thought last night might have been Symir's best game moving and taking care of the ball. There was no need for JB to throw him under the bus at his presser. I hate it when he does that, not sure what it accomplishes.
-Benny looks like he has lost his confidence out there and we do need more from him to say the least. On a lighter note, my son at SU met him at an early morning class today and he seemed upbeat and excited about the win. Credit him for not skipping after that experience and tough night.
-Did any of you guys sit there for a few minutes after the game in a daze not knowing whether to laugh or cry? Onwards to FSU.

I don’t want to post negativity but thinking about last nights game this team has no chance to beat anybody decent unless we are firing on all cylinders and play our absolute super bowl a+ best game of the year. We hit every big shot we needed and still almost lost.
But they just beat a decent team with an absolute beast without coming close to firing on all cylinders, so there goes your theory.

We are an old Iowa Fran McCaffrey team.

Can’t play defense at all.
Can shoot and make shots.

It’s fun to watch but it’s not a good team.

This team is not a NCAAT team.
1638388991625.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom