Potential 2024 Roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2024 Roster

Shellenberger has an extra year and walked on senior day…

There's a rumor that Cormier nay forego his covid year. Not sure on Schellenberger but that would be a good development for us if it happens

Really think we not only need to add a FOGO in the portal, but also a close defender.

Total speculation but Jake Piseno coming here would be really intriguing if he could take a grad transfer year. He would instantly add athleticism to the middle of the field and could keep Olexo at close, where he is most valuable against top end opponents

If it’s true that Petro doesn’t like defenders throwing checks then I don’t think they would pursue Piseno. He does have eye popping numbers with 42 caused turnovers and 70 groundballs. Pretty small at 5’8 but feels like he could help any team in the middle of the field.

Lots of players due to return on defense, would be telling if they decide to bring in anyone new.

If it’s true that Petro doesn’t like defenders throwing checks then I don’t think they would pursue Piseno. He does have eye popping numbers with 42 caused turnovers and 70 groundballs. Pretty small at 5’8 but feels like he could help any team in the middle of the field.

Lots of players due to return on defense, would be telling if they decide to bring in anyone new.
No way that is actually true with the amount of overhead checks Olexo threw this year. Even the sort of moves that Murphy and Aviles attempt with the two hand wrap check. If he was anti throwing checks he would have put a stop to that

I don’t know murphy threw a lot of check in first couple games (cause some turnovers doing so) then was like nothing. But doesn’t make sense that most aggressive defender to play the game(petro) would be against checks. But we certainly didn’t throw maby at all which think is issue or problem. Can’t take ball away without throwing checks. Not saying to go willy billy with them. But most of time our guys just ran with dude not throwing really even poke checks. Which can’t be good just letting teams not be worry if get in close that they won’t get stick checked. Also didn’t see a lot of sticks up or guys trying to match sticks. Overall just ton of work to be done on defensive side. Perfectly timed poke check works like charm. Even a nice hard check right on hands will have dudes second guessing on getting in close.

siri i truely hate you “willy billy” i clearly spelled “willy nilly “ and “maby” when said “many”! stop changing my words like you know me. You don’t know me siri.

Piseno would be a great pick up. Don’t forget Princeton Mids added to stable as well. Think we will likely get a Top transfer fogo also my informant on Long Island tells me Jake Spallina is facing off over 80% while playing midfield the entire game says he is the real deal This all bodes well I definitely agree that adding more D is needed

Could not imagine trying to impress / shine / earn some PT here as an SSDM.

Interesting problems to have on O. Wonder if anyone will switch to middie?

Where is the incoming long pole talent? We need help on D.

Don't know if its a rumor or not, but he literally wrote a book on coaching lacrosse and I recall it dedicates many, many, many words on not throwing checks.

It was a painful book to read. Takes a lot of words to get to a point.

I wanted to add my longform thoughts on where the team stands going into the offseason. It's a bummer this season ended again without a postseason appearance. That said, I think we can all agree definite promise has been made by the team and big things are expected the next few seasons. I'll make mention of rumored transfers but don't want to linger on them since they haven't been confirmed.

Attack: Obviously bringing back two great players in Joey Spallina and Owen Hiltz is monumental. Spallina faced incredible pressure coming into the season and performed better than expected. He's a great player who will continue to rack up points, of that I am sure. The next step for him is owning his matchup against bigger/strong ACC caliber defensemen. Not an easy task. Hiltz also put up another impressive season after returning from injury. I think he still needs to add a bit of aggressiveness to his game. I thought his dodging game looked much improved this season, I just would like to see more of it.
The big question going into the offseason is who gets that third spot? I know lots of posters want to see Finn Thomson moved down to attack. I am a bit split on that idea. Thomson is an incredible player, but I'm not sure he's the right fit for what the attack unit needs. Cole Kirst didn't put up a ton of points this year (37), but whenever the motion offense started to slow down, he seemed to be there with a strong bull dodge to shake up opposing defenses. With his big frame he was able to challenge those big strong ACC defensemen. I think finding a player like that, personally could really keep this offense humming. Pat March has described Thomson as an "above goalline player", which could leave Spallina feeling lonely behind the goal as the only option. Another option is to put freshman Trey Deere on attack as a crease finisher type.

Midfield: With the departures of Kirst, Alex Simmons and Griffin Cook, that leaves three spots on offense open (if everyone expected comes back). If the expected transfers of Princeton middies Sam English and Jake Stevens goes through, that leaves only one spot open. If Thomson does indeed move to attack, I think that makes choices in the midfield pretty easy, as the two transfers mix in with returners Michael Leo, Jackson Birtwistle, and Luke Rhoa. It's pretty easy to see Birtwistle being rewarded with spot on the first line with perhaps English and Leo. Though it's pre-mature to try and guess midfield combos right now. English is exciting as I'm sure he can recreate the two-man game magic Thomson had with Simmons.

Lots of players on the bench are probably chomping at the bit to get playing time next year, I would think Carter Kempney leads that group. Of course things don't get easier with freshmen like Tyler McCartney, Tyler Kellogg, Wyatt Hottle and Jake Spallina coming in.

Man up: the exciting news is that the highest scoring man-up unit in the country returns almost completely intact next year, with Simmons the only departure. Stevens was a member of the Princeton man-up unit the last two years (he scored twice on the man-up unit against SU) and has 10 man-up goals the last two years combined. Deere, Rhoa and Kellogg with his massive shot could also be considered.

Face-off: The big bug-a-boo this season needs serious work in the offseason. The good news is a very good FOGO is rumored to be transferring in next season which should help drastically. Additionally the Orange are bringing in new FOGO recruits who are highly touted, who if they aren't needed next year will at least be on the books going forward. It never hurts to have additional capable fogos since certain guys can match up better against different opposing fogos.

Wings have been a big topic of conversation as well. Our SSDM's this year did not pick-up the ball well this year (Aviles led the group with 16 this year and he missed five games). Stevens is a solid face-off wing (there's that name again) who has 29 grounders this year so far. Freshmen like McCartney and Spallina could also offer some help in this department. It's early days but the biggest weakness of this team from last year might be a giant strength next year.

LSM: Saam Olexo should be able to return to his natural position next year which should be a big boon to the defensive unit. Also should really help the transition game. Dylan Sageder played in all 15 games last year primarily as a backup. Not the greatest statscial season (8 gbs, 2 ct), but he gained valuable playing expereince. Nick Caccamo filled in for Olexo as starter once Landon Clary went out but he never really looked comfortable there. Curious to see if coaches decide to try and upgrade the backup position this offseason.

SSDM: the other most scrutinized unit this season needs help this offseason. They lose grad transfer Jake Murphy for sure, and rumors are another contributor from the starting unit. They are also rumored to be bringing in a grad transfer from the DIII ranks. Will the Orange bring in more transfers for this unit? Perhaps freshmen like Chrishawn Hunter, McCarntey or Jake Spallina fill in here? Lots of question marks for this pivotal position group.

Close Defense: Perhaps the most intriguing group going into next season for the simple fact that so many guys return. The loss of Riley Figuerias was a big one in the preseason and it showed on the field. I have to imagine he will be inserted into the starting lineup as the alpha defender. But who will join him? Billy Dwan looked good as a fill in the second half of the season, he was replaced by Landon Clary when he returned from injury, but then replaced Clary at the end of the Duke game. Were Clary's shaky performances late in the year due to injury? Does Caccamo move back to close after filling in at LSM? His best attributes are as an offball guy and picking off passes. He aveaged nearly two caused turnovers a game two years ago but didn't come close to that last year.

What of Caden Kol who was a captain and Mr. Consistency being the only guy who started every game at close? He did not close the seaeson on a strong note with poor performances against UVA and Duke. They only bring in two defensive recruits next year in Donny Scott and Brett Spallina. With the defense not performing well last year, do they consider more transfers to this group? I think the return of Figuerias will certainly help but this unit needs a ton of work preseaon.

Goalie: Will Mark was fantastic this year, finishing with a 54% save percentage and averaged 13.8 saves per game. I can't say enough good things about him. He really needs help next year, both from his face-off unit and his defense who gave up far too many easy shots. Having him back is a huge boon. SU has to be sure not waste this type of performance.

I'm sure I am leaving a ton of things out, and I've probably said things that people disagree with. But I really think this team should be a Top 10 team next year, and frankly a return to the playoffs won't be enough. If the rumored transfers do come in, this team should at least make the second round of the tournament next year. There won't be anymore excuses as the freshmen will be sophomores and face-offs should not be as big of an issue. A very exciting offense along with an All American goalie should bring many wins next year. It's a long offseason and lots could change, but I really like where SU is headed right now.

Could not imagine trying to impress / shine / earn some PT here as an SSDM.

Interesting problems to have on O. Wonder if anyone will switch to middie?

Where is the incoming long pole talent? We need help on D.

SU get's Figuerias back from injury and does bring back every pole on the roster including Olexxo, Clary, Dwan, Sagedar, and Caccamo. SU needs Clary to actually stay healthy, he was hurt more then half the year and clearly not the same player once he came back. SU also has a few younger poles who barely played or red-shirted (Kuczynski). SU only brings in one pole in this current class (Donny Scott) as they had a few late decommits. A transfer isn't out of the question but only Olexxo is a Sr next year and there are already to many players for spots - Clary, Dwan, Caccamo, Figuerias. Barring a tranfer I would expect the long pole situation to look as follows: Clary/Sagedar at LSM - Olexxo, Dwan, Figuerias and Caccamo battling for the 3 starting spots.

Expect SU to target a number of poles in the 2025 class. .

As for midfield SU is bringing in a couple of top middie recruits, will have Kempney coming back after getting his feet wet and if the rumor mill is true is going to add a top flight middie transfer.

That would be huge and being next yr is Will Marks final season they need to go all out for him. Makes this team top ten and possibly top 5 if Figg comes back healthy and they pick up a few solid shortys.

Really need 3 shortys is Aviles doesn't come back. I love Rosa he has tons of heart but if there trying to go far next yr they can't go into the season with Rosa on the rotation. He just doesn't have the foot speed, hips and athletic ability to cover these guys at this level. So with Aviles and Murphy gone then replacing Rosa they need 3. Now if Trujillo hits the weight room and puts some size on maybe he's ready next yr to take one of those spots but they need at least 2. I would look for one bigger one over 6ft to cover the bigger mids.

Really need 3 shortys is Aviles doesn't come back. I love Rosa he has tons of heart but if there trying to go far next yr they can't go into the season with Rosa on the rotation. He just doesn't have the foot speed, hips and athletic ability to cover these guys at this level. So with Aviles and Murphy gone then replacing Rosa they need 3. Now if Trujillo hits the weight room and puts some size on maybe he's ready next yr to take one of those spots but they need at least 2. I would look for one bigger one over 6ft to cover the bigger mids.

Rosa plays with heart but lacks speed, footwork and change of direction. He needs to commit to improving this summer. Trujillo has the speed but thinks to much which slows him down. He looks like he has gained some muscle and weight already. If he can get his mind right he will be on the field more next year.

Getting Figueiras back at full health will be a much needed improvement as far as having a vocal leader on the defensive side of the field. No one took that role this year which hurt the defense. Hate that he got injured but the timing was much better than it happening during the season. He will be at around 10 months of recovery when the fall starts. I was told he is very present at Manley rehabbing.

I wasn’t a fan of the LSM and close D rotation we ended with. Too much of an ask to have guys playing close and LSM in the same game.

Olexo needs to go back to lsm. We need him on wings and middle of field. Dwan and fig should start down low and honestly think got to put cacameo back down low. Wasn’t terrible at lsm but didn’t seem comfortable there either. Maby even beck or chuck mixing in to spell guys or even man down. Kol think is weakest long unless does some serious changes over offseason. Think clary and olexo ur lsm along with sadeger. Dmids ya have rice n rosa if aviles isn’t back which hope he comes back. But possibility is turn donny scott who believe is long pole has been playing box. Maby can make him into dmid. Even maby forget his name number 17 drago who has nice speed if like to give it a try.

Rosa plays with heart but lacks speed, footwork and change of direction. He needs to commit to improving this summer. Trujillo has the speed but thinks to much which slows him down. He looks like he has gained some muscle and weight already. If he can get his mind right he will be on the field more next year.

Getting Figueiras back at full health will be a much needed improvement as far as having a vocal leader on the defensive side of the field. No one took that role this year which hurt the defense. Hate that he got injured but the timing was much better than it happening during the season. He will be at around 10 months of recovery when the fall starts. I was told he is very present at Manley rehabbing.

I wasn’t a fan of the LSM and close D rotation we ended with. Too much of an ask to have guys playing close and LSM in the same game.

Yes this 100%. Olexo should be back @ LSM full-time and hopefully Riley can come in post injury and be as good as so many people are expecting of him. I think Dwan can put on 10 lbs and really become a force at close. No offense to Sagaeder because at least he got a lot of experience, but to me he never popped on the field including the wings when he did line up there. I don't want to speak to this because I don't see practice and have no inside information, but they have a lot poles on the roster it's a little concerning there appear to be no better options on the bench.

Yes this 100%. Olexo should be back @ LSM full-time and hopefully Riley can come in post injury and be as good as so many people are expecting of him. I think Dwan can put on 10 lbs and really become a force at close. No offense to Sagaeder because at least he got a lot of experience, but to me he never popped on the field including the wings when he did line up there. I don't want to speak to this because I don't see practice and have no inside information, but they have a lot poles on the roster it's a little concerning there appear to be no better options on the bench.

I'd pump the brakes a bit on Sagaedar, he was a true frosh who beat out multiple other poles to win the back up job. He had some growing pains but did seem to grow as the year went on. Needs to be better on the wing but I expect him to take anothet big step next year.

Olexxo and Clary will be a tough call for the staff. Both vsn play LSM but Olexxo was SUs top cover guy this year and maybe more valuable at close. Will be interesting to see what the staff does.

I'd pump the brakes a bit on Sagaedar, he was a true frosh who beat out multiple other poles to win the back up job. He had some growing pains but did seem to grow as the year went on. Needs to be better on the wing but I expect him to take anothet big step next year.

Olexxo and Clary will be a tough call for the staff. Both vsn play LSM but Olexxo was SUs top cover guy this year and maybe more valuable at close. Will be interesting to see what the staff does.
What about Kaczynski? Did he redshirt because he wasn’t ready for this level or do they think he’s a real future talent but didn’t see him playing this year?

What about Kaczynski? Did he redshirt because he wasn’t ready for this level or do they think he’s a real future talent but didn’t see him playing this year?

Good question, I don't have the answer but I know he was pretty highly thought of so I am leaning toward the former.

I can see Fraterrigo being added in the mix. Also coming off injury.

I can see Fraterrigo being added in the mix. Also coming off injury.

During last night's "Cuse Awards, they showed a montage of all the graduating Seniors from all sports.

Both Fraterrigo and Aviles made the video.

During last night's "Cuse Awards, they showed a montage of all the graduating Seniors from all sports.

Both Fraterrigo and Aviles made the video.
If Aviles graduated he might not wanna pay to live there and go to grad school there so maybe he's going close to home. Stonybrook is 10 mins from his house. He can probably be a two way there which I'm sure he wants to do. Especially his last yr to have fun. He should have been a two way at SU but Petro don't even wanna his DMs pushing transition he wants them to get off the field asap. Aviles is one of the most athletic players on the team and has a rocket of a shot. To bad that rebound behind the back didn't go in vs Duke. Would have been a sportscenter goal.

If Aviles graduated he might not wanna pay to live there and go to grad school there so maybe he's going close to home. Stonybrook is 10 mins from his house. He can probably be a two way there which I'm sure he wants to do. Especially his last yr to have fun. He should have been a two way at SU but Petro don't even wanna his DMs pushing transition he wants them to get off the field asap. Aviles is one of the most athletic players on the team and has a rocket of a shot. To bad that rebound behind the back didn't go in vs Duke. Would have been a sportscenter goal.

He isn’t going to SB. It’s an education decision not lacrosse.

He isn’t going to SB. It’s an education decision not lacrosse.
Only reason I said that is because it's 10 mins from home. Idk what he majored in but he just might wanna play for fun next season. I could be wrong just guessing. I sat next to his dad on plane ride to NC and he was telling me how he was tired of traveling to the games all these yrs. He goes to every game. So was thinking maybe to have fun and play close by family. We will eventually find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom