Potential 2024 Roster | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2024 Roster

Does he say not to throw checks or not to go for takeaways? I’ve heard him speak before and he’s mentioned not encouraging going for takeaways because it brings risk. And he’s not wrong about that. I’ve never heard him say not to throw checks though but I didn’t read his book.

Checks and going for a takeaway are definitely two different things.
This is some text from his book...

USING THE STICK
As I mentioned earlier, using the stick too much to check the ball carrier or try to take away the ball reduces your ability to contain your man. The stick can be used, however, as a cushion or as a source of pressure to the hands of a dodger as he tries to feed or shoot. In all instances, when the defender has addressed the ball and gotten into the appropriate on-ball stance, he should place his stick directly out in front of him, at the waist level, and pointed at the dodger's midsection. Doing so will help the defender to guard against a split dodge and a face dodge, which we discussed in chapter 6.

Then he writes about the vhold, poke check & slap check, and finishes w this..

HIGHLIGHTS OF INDIVIDUAL DEFENSIVE PLAY
Be patient and play position first-the percentages favor this style of play over the aggressive, take-the-ball-away approach.
Put pressure on the dodger's hands to deny him a good-angle shot and impede his feeding ability.
When your man makes his initial offensive move, your first step is to run backward, keeping your stick out front and in your strong hand at all times to provide a cushion between yourself and
the dodger.
Run hip-to-hip with your man when he has the ball and is going at top speed.
Keep your stick in the same hand when playing
your man.
When executing a driving maneuver, keep your stick in front of the number on your opponent's jersey, crouch, and drive by applying pressure to your man's hips; be ready to check his stick. Don't step into your man when using poke and slap checks.
A check that travels a short distance is the most ef-fective.
The defender must keep his legs spread to provide a strong base when driving against his man. Driving tactics should be used only when the at-tacker is in front of the goal-ten yards or less from the crease for a midfielder, five yards or less
from the crease for an attackman.

Feel that style works back in day. But kids are bigger faster and stick technology and stick skills of kids these days are so much better can’t just run with dudes giving them open hands. Takes some guys half second to get shot or pass off. Need to constantly put pressure on hands and them so they never get comfy and always in a retreat mode. Also if not winning faceoffs (cuse) then need to get ball other ways as in takeaway checks or stick checks in general.

Would start a thread for this but feel like wouldn’t get respect it deserves or that i’m only loser who keep tabs on it. But let’s give congrats to woman getting second seed in their tounry and hopefully can bring chip home to cuse for lax this year. Plus have huge crush on kayla treanor. Totally against it but def would dress up as woman to score just get hug by her since she hugs her players after every score(super jealous). Don’t tell my wife lol

Would start a thread for this but feel like wouldn’t get respect it deserves or that i’m only loser who keep tabs on it. But let’s give congrats to woman getting second seed in their tounry and hopefully can bring chip home to cuse for lax this year. Plus have huge crush on kayla treanor. Totally against it but def would dress up as woman to score just get hug by her since she hugs her players after every score(super jealous). Don’t tell my wife lol

Already several threads on the Women's Lax Board

i guess now that the orange's season is officially over i can report that english and stevens indeed are both headed to syracuse and they were given a boatload of NIL money to do so. they entered and exited the portal months ago

alec stathakis is not in the portal as of this moment so if he also wants to go to syracuse then that was coordinated through backchannels and is not official

i guess now that the orange's season is officially over i can report that english and stevens indeed are both headed to syracuse and they were given a boatload of NIL money to do so. they entered and exited the portal months ago

alec stathakis is not in the portal as of this moment so if he also wants to go to syracuse then that was coordinated through backchannels and is not official

But Princeton's season isn't over yet. :rolleyes:

Great news, thanks for posting/confirming!

Hearing a lot of smoke about Stathakis, suspect if its accurate he will announce shortly. Have also been told SU was initially going to be selective for portal players and the number of transfers but is now considering additional players and apparently has players reaching out to them (didn't get any names).

Hearing a lot of smoke about Stathakis, suspect if its accurate he will announce shortly. Have also been told SU was initially going to be selective for portal players and the number of transfers but is now considering additional players and apparently has players reaching out to them (didn't get any names).
Defense defense defense. No need for any more offensive players unless we have a couple younger guys of our own headed to the portal. No need to rock the boat on one of the best offenses in the country. English and Stevens are all we need.

Defense defense defense. No need for any more offensive players unless we have a couple younger guys of our own headed to the portal. No need to rock the boat on one of the best offenses in the country. English and Stevens are all we need.
This is so correct.

Why do we need a guy who won 62% of his faceoffs?

I'm sure the crew that won 42% this season will do just fine.

Stevens and the D3 transfer will see time at SSDM.

As for actual LSM's or Close Defenders I wouldn't get my hopes up. Portal is notoriously thin when it comes to elite level defensive players and the competition for them will be fierce as both ND and G-town have to replace multiple pieces.

As for actual LSM's or Close Defenders I wouldn't get my hopes up. Portal is notoriously thin when it comes to elite level defensive players and the competition for them will be fierce as both ND and G-town have to replace multiple pieces.
If we could find another guy with potential to join the rope unit that would be ideal. Feel like Stevens is needed more on the wing and ssdm than as one of our top 6 offensive middies. Obviously we still use him in transition and maybe on man-up, but we need his defense more than his O.

If we could find another guy with potential to join the rope unit that would be ideal. Feel like Stevens is needed more on the wing and ssdm than as one of our top 6 offensive middies. Obviously we still use him in transition and maybe on man-up, but we need his defense more than his O.

Stevens is a true 2 way middie, SU really hasn't had one since Matt Abbott nearly 15 years ago. SU ie Petro and March will need to change how they handle transition and incorporate Stevens staying on to play midfielder a decent number of times a game. If SU tries to play Stevens like he's Aviles, there will be a riot.

Stevens is a true 2 way middie, SU really hasn't had one since Matt Abbott nearly 15 years ago. SU ie Petro and March will need to change how they handle transition and incorporate Stevens staying on to play midfielder a decent number of times a game. If SU tries to play Stevens like he's Aviles, there will be a riot.

I believe English began his time at Princeton as an SSDM as well. I assume both have two-way ability. I am not sure of his stick skills compared to what Gait wants at SU, but the D3 kid coming in is a two-way type as well. His game reminds me of the Trainor kid who played for UMASS.

Rosa Rice and Olexo all have some game in transition. I really hope we find a way to bring Olexo back to LSM. He is a sniper in transition and I think that would get our transition mojo back. Kind of want to watch a full Princeton game and see how they use Stevens specifically. Feel like we rarely saw him on their O in settled 6v6. But he was definitely on man up/the wing. Think he will be closer to Aviles than Simmons on next years team out of necessity, but we do end up emphasizing transition more due to his abilities.

You are right Stevens could play defense, but around the cage he is a great sniper. He is quick, athletic with lightning fast hands and a rock solid base. He times his cuts on the emo precisely, releases shots from the center of the zone defense faster than the eye can see. I would not be surprised to see him on attack or on the first mids. Plays from behind with quick cuts and dodges. At the end of the year he became a major offensive factor in the Ivy tournament. Yes we have a good offense, but with Kurst's departure, SU still has one or two holes. Stevens can play anywhere.

To put it another way, while I love Rosa's dawg mentality and skills in clearing/transition, I am more worried about having him as one of our starting ssdms than I am about a guy like Kempney Cohen or whoever sneaking in to the top 6 middies. We had severe issues 1v1 there last year and we now lose 2 of the top 4, assuming the Aviles rumors are accurate. The freshman we have at that position rarely saw the field despite that unit's struggles. They will need to make a big jump to contribute at a passable level. If that doesn't happen, and we can do nothing else with ssdms in the portal, then we may need to grit our teeth and emphasize Stevens on the defensive end. Have to be realistic about where the need is, even if it means not using him in certain areas. One side of the field was stacked with talent, most of it young with serious upside. The other was unacceptable. If you play in both camps your skills on D are waaay more valuable to us.

To put it another way, while I love Rosa's dawg mentality and skills in clearing/transition, I am more worried about having him as one of our starting ssdms than I am about a guy like Kempney Cohen or whoever sneaking in to the top 6 middies. We had severe issues 1v1 there last year and we now lose 2 of the top 4, assuming the Aviles rumors are accurate. The freshman we have at that position rarely saw the field despite that unit's struggles. They will need to make a big jump to contribute at a passable level. If that doesn't happen, and we can do nothing else with ssdms in the portal, then we may need to grit our teeth and emphasize Stevens on the defensive end. Have to be realistic about where the need is, even if it means not using him in certain areas. One side of the field was stacked with talent, most of it young with serious upside. The other was unacceptable. If you play in both camps your skills on D are waaay more valuable to us.
Yeah love Rosa but should just let him play man down. He's a liability one on one and if this team is ready to take the next step next yr they can't have that. I would still love if they grabbed the kid Eli Fisher from Wagner. He's 6ft 1 while fast, athletic and tough. Him and the D 3 kid on the 2nd line. Also Gait needs to step in and tell Petro he wants his DMs to push transition this yr. Can't just run em off and play 6 on 6 all game. While also letting the other team get there guys on the field. How many times did our O mids get stuck on D and smoked this yr? Yet we never do that to other teams due to our DMs getting right off and slowing everything, Fisher also has two way ability so that would make all of our SSDMs able to push the ball. Can't hurt to add extra DMs especially if one of the top 4 go down it hurts even having 1 weak link. Teams will pick of them. This is Syracuse let them all compete for PT. The best Ds have 4 solid DMs with 2 really good ones. Every team attacks the short sticks. Gotta take advantage of Will Marks final season.

stevens is not going to cuse to play d-mid. i can tell you that much. he will be playing o-mid, man-up, and probably some faceoff wings

the thing about stevens that isnt talked about much is that he hasnt really been much of a two-way guy for a year or two now. he gets caught on D and can hold his own there but they are no longer running him out as a ssdm on purpose. he's more of a traditional midfielder who also happens to have the slick stick skills to contribute on GB scrums off the faceoff wing

great player but carc's zach currier comparison was generous. currier was truly all over the field on every possesion. stevens is like currier lite and lately more of a focus on offense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom