Potential 2024 Roster | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2024 Roster

Only reason I said that is because it's 10 mins from home. Idk what he majored in but he just might wanna play for fun next season. I could be wrong just guessing. I sat next to his dad on plane ride to NC and he was telling me how he was tired of traveling to the games all these yrs. He goes to every game. So was thinking maybe to have fun and play close by family. We will eventually find out.

Surprised his dad didn’t tell you where he was heading.

Surprised his dad didn’t tell you where he was heading.
Didn't even mention him leaving. Doubt he wanted that out. I wish I knew he might be I would have at least asked and tried to get it out of him. His dads a cool dude tho and small world he lives next to someone I went to HS with. He did tell me that the guy I know his neighbor that his son plays for Providence and he's good friends with Brandon. The dads hang all the time too but I can't see him going there. I'm sure we will find out soon.

Right attack in 2024 - Birtwistle, Thomson, Erlbeck, someone else?

I think most here think it will between Birtwistle and Thomson with some combination of third line middies and transfers filling in gaps.

What is the preference here? I'm leaning Birtwistle. He is a proven finisher and has shown an ability to be physical in tighter spaces. I think Thomson really struggled with poles this year and remains a better point person given his passing skills.

I think most here think it will between Birtwistle and Thomson with some combination of third line middies and transfers filling in gaps.

What is the preference here? I'm leaning Birtwistle. He is a proven finisher and has shown an ability to be physical in tighter spaces. I think Thomson really struggled with poles this year and remains a better point person given his passing skills.
Thomsons feeding ability/upside may jump him to the top of the pile. I do worry about the downgrade in dodging if we go from Kirst to Thomson on the right wing. But then again we generated all kinds of looks this year from getting Thomson going in a two man game with someone. Had some yips finishing this year but the talent to be reliable in that category is clearly there. Another possibility is that we use English from Princeton on the right wing. He is an intimidating speed dodger who would be far more likely to give a long pole some issues strictly off the dodge. Think that is less likely but cant rule it out after seeing how we used Kirst this last season.

I do not think Erlbeck will be in the running.

The Birtwistle vs Thomson argument is an interesting one. Personally I think they need a player who compliments both Hiltz and Spallina. I think Thomson is a bit too similar to both players, and it seems to me he sees the field a bit better from above GLE than behind it. He's a really good player and this is not meant to take anything away from him, but I think he's better served in the midfield. I wouldn't be upset at all if he was given the attack spot, but that's my opinion.

With Birtwistle you'd get a proven finisher who is able to finish in close and also has range. This is a move that I could definitely be in favor of as he's really talented and I don't think he got enough playing time this year. I still would prefer a pure dodger to take some heat off of Spallina, but he's shown the ability to do it on occasion. Plus he would add some size to the unit which is a bit undersized. He finished the 2022 season on attack and of course played very well there. Given that they didn't really play him there at all this season I don't think it's likely he plays attack there but you never know.

One other option is to figure out how to fit Trey Deere onto the unit, probably using him as a crease attackman. I think he'd be pretty similar to Birtwistle but with more passing ability. Given he's a lefty not sure how well it would work, but Duke has figured out how to play two lefties together in Brennan O'Neil and Dyson Williams.

I do not think Erlbeck will be in the running.

The Birtwistle vs Thomson argument is an interesting one. Personally I think they need a player who compliments both Hiltz and Spallina. I think Thomson is a bit too similar to both players, and it seems to me he sees the field a bit better from above GLE than behind it. He's a really good player and this is not meant to take anything away from him, but I think he's better served in the midfield. I wouldn't be upset at all if he was given the attack spot, but that's my opinion.

With Birtwistle you'd get a proven finisher who is able to finish in close and also has range. This is a move that I could definitely be in favor of as he's really talented and I don't think he got enough playing time this year. I still would prefer a pure dodger to take some heat off of Spallina, but he's shown the ability to do it on occasion. Plus he would add some size to the unit which is a bit undersized. He finished the 2022 season on attack and of course played very well there. Given that they didn't really play him there at all this season I don't think it's likely he plays attack there but you never know.

One other option is to figure out how to fit Trey Deere onto the unit, probably using him as a crease attackman. I think he'd be pretty similar to Birtwistle but with more passing ability. Given he's a lefty not sure how well it would work, but Duke has figured out how to play two lefties together in Brennan O'Neil and Dyson Williams.
good analysis. I wonder about the ability of anyone of your candidates to distort the configuration of a defense. I like a Kurst-like player who can pull slides and force the rest of the defense to adjust on the field at all times as the third attack. No one comes to mind. Leo and Rhoa may develop into excellent dodgers, but may not be ready now. Could King, assuming he arrives, do the job? I have seen him dodge from x many times. He can move from right and left well.

Hmm wonder where he ends up.

My money would be on Albany but based on that article it doesn't sound like he's getting a ton of D1 interest but perhaps I'm reading to much into it. SU hasn't brought in an OCC player since Barber I think.

My money would be on Albany but based on that article it doesn't sound like he's getting a ton of D1 interest but perhaps I'm reading to much into it. SU hasn't brought in an OCC player since Barber I think.
Wasn't Staats after Barber?

Don't know if its a rumor or not, but he literally wrote a book on coaching lacrosse and I recall it dedicates many, many, many words on not throwing checks.

It was a painful book to read. Takes a lot of words to get to a point.

Does he say not to throw checks or not to go for takeaways? I’ve heard him speak before and he’s mentioned not encouraging going for takeaways because it brings risk. And he’s not wrong about that. I’ve never heard him say not to throw checks though but I didn’t read his book.

Checks and going for a takeaway are definitely two different things.

Does he say not to throw checks or not to go for takeaways? I’ve heard him speak before and he’s mentioned not encouraging going for takeaways because it brings risk. And he’s not wrong about that. I’ve never heard him say not to throw checks though but I didn’t read his book.

Some checks are for take aways and when u struggle to possess the ball it's worth the risk. Especially in todays high flying game.

Jake Stevens just scored and Quint said "he will be playing lacrosse next year at a name program with a similar color scheme" lol come on over and bring English and Pederson with you.
He said Pederson might be playing football somewhere the other day.

He said Pederson might be playing football somewhere the other day.
That blows if true. Hopefully Gait and March can at least make the offer enticing. And if not, find someone of equal caliber via the portal.

Sorry. Yes. Takeaways.

Some checks are for take aways and when u struggle to possess the ball it's worth the risk. Especially in todays high flying game.
Not with the way we slide and not with a shot clock. I would encourage playing better man defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom