Potential DC's ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Potential DC's ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can and should. Our new HC is an ACE recruiter, but with no known offensive or defensive identity. The situation screams for a high level OC and DC. $1m in today's market certainly doesn't shock the conscience.
What??????? We would have to beat 1.1 Million??? Does that sound like something Syracuse would do?

Correct. And honestly, I don't think Mike has any intention of giving Elijah the DC job. He has a defensive scheme he has had a lot of success with and he will want to have a DC who knows it. That is why he is going to hire Clark Lea, who was with him at Wake and ND. If not Clark, he will hire whoever was his DC at Duke as his DC. That is probably more likely, with Clark signing on as his LB coach.

He wants Elijah as his DL coach and top recruiter.

No one wants to step up and give Elijah the chance to be a DC. Except maybe Fran.

I hear many of you wanting to add Elijah. But the only way would be if he was given the DC job. That wouldn't be so controversial if Fran had been a DC for a while and could help him make the transition.

But he lacks the experience too, other than a year as a co-DC at Temple. I don't think you can take a chance on a coordinator that has never been one when you are in Fran's situation. Maybe if he could get Muschamp to also come in and agree to be a defensive assistant, but get paid as a DC.

That would be very pricey. And I don't see Will wanting to come up here for that. It would not be in his own self interest.

Muschamp wouldn't come here for anything less than head coach imo. His name mentioned a few days ago was a stretch. The dude is a Georgia native, played at Georgia and his kid is on the team.

Robb Smith another name to keep an eye on. Currently with PSU as an analyst.

So are we going to a 3-4 like UGA? Has Fran talked about his preferred scheme anywhere? I haven't watched a single video.

Was mentioned 4-2 but nothing confirmed.

Jim would be a home run hire, Vince would be nice, who else would you like to see:

Jim Leonhard - Would be a home run hire and help us in the Midwest, after leaving Wisconsin as their DC and is now an analyst for Illinois

Vince Kehres - Another midwest guy that could help us and has one of the top MAC defenses, if Candle leaves Toledo does he take him with him?

I don't think you should wait for the annual burning of the avatars to burn your avatar.

This is who I want. Worked with Fran at Temple and is also from Camden, NJ.
I agree with Tomcat and disagree with bringing this guy in as DC. We can't have a staff of all recruiters. Particularly with Fran's lack of experience as a Coordinator, we need coordinator who have already had success as coordinators or else you're looking for trouble. Even good recruiters will struggle to keep recruiting if the product on the field doesn't look good. You're starting to see that w/ Deion.

DC isn’t as import the way CFB is played. As long as they aren’t completely awful, just getting in the way is usually enough to win a game.

And I am a guy who likes a good D. We cannot have 2016, 2017, 2019 like output. This year was a big step down from last, but still good enough to get by.

Way more worried about OL and OC.
Yeah you are...

there is no way someone didnt already beat me to this...but doing it anyway.

You missed my post apparently, it’s honor of the 1 million page Dan Mullen thread that was only rivaled by the crane thread

#Neverforget

Ha, sorry. It's hard to keep up!

I suppose we have to ask how the Assistant Coaches money pool is going to be allocated because the OC to me might be the one that the most money will be spent on.

I like the idea of Robinson but not sure if he's worth getting the biggest allotment.

I suppose we have to ask how the Assistant Coaches money pool is going to be allocated because the OC to me might be the one that the most money will be spent on.

I like the idea of Robinson but not sure if he's worth getting the biggest allotment.

maybe his contract is backloaded like Ruhles, and full of incentives. Hypothetically, 2.75m, 3.25m, 3.75m, 4.5m, 5m. then incentives based on performance that could boost him 1/2-1m per year. The buyout is the tricky thing.

More up front money for assistants. You could go 1m per OC/DC and have a larger pot for staffers.

Last edited:
Yeah you are...

there is no way someone didnt already beat me to this...but doing it anyway.
A good D also brings the locker room together. You can’t have one side of the ball better than the other.

Correct. And honestly, I don't think Mike has any intention of giving Elijah the DC job. He has a defensive scheme he has had a lot of success with and he will want to have a DC who knows it. That is why he is going to hire Clark Lea, who was with him at Wake and ND. If not Clark, he will hire whoever was his DC at Duke as his DC. That is probably more likely, with Clark signing on as his LB coach.

He wants Elijah as his DL coach and top recruiter.

No one wants to step up and give Elijah the chance to be a DC. Except maybe Fran.

I hear many of you wanting to add Elijah. But the only way would be if he was given the DC job. That wouldn't be so controversial if Fran had been a DC for a while and could help him make the transition.

But he lacks the experience too, other than a year as a co-DC at Temple. I don't think you can take a chance on a coordinator that has never been one when you are in Fran's situation. Maybe if he could get Muschamp to also come in and agree to be a defensive assistant, but get paid as a DC.

That would be very pricey. And I don't see Will wanting to come up here for that. It would not be in his own self interest.
I dont know Tom. Elijah was Elko's DL coach and the TAMU board talks about him as if he's Vince Lombardi. They will do whatever it takes to keep him.

I dont know Tom. Elijah was Elko's DL coach and the TAMU board talks about him as if he's Vince Lombardi. They will do whatever it takes to keep him.

If he believes in Brown he could be the continuity hire here in 3 years. Might be fastest way to HC for him.

DC isn’t as import the way CFB is played. As long as they aren’t completely awful, just getting in the way is usually enough to win a game.

And I am a guy who likes a good D. We cannot have 2016, 2017, 2019 like output. This year was a big step down from last, but still good enough to get by.

Way more worried about OL and OC.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

So are we going to a 3-4 like UGA? Has Fran talked about his preferred scheme anywhere? I haven't watched a single video.
He will most likely play a base nickel (5 DBs) like almost everyone else does including Long/White. The front will be variable with a hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.