Practice Facility Plaza Statues being installed | Syracusefan.com

Practice Facility Plaza Statues being installed

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
I just happened to drive up to Manley this afternoon and they just completed installing the Jim Brown statue. The platform for Floyd was also in place and they were getting ready to unload the Ernie Davis base too. All three statues were wrapped and on site. They are huge. I spoke to one of the installers and he said he needs to keep them wrapped until the opening football game. I thought unveiling them for FanFest would be great, but maybe the donator can't make it. All three bases are beautiful with information and pictures carved into the granite bases. It's very impressive. There's still no signage on the practice facility. I did a quick check and everything looks spelled correctly!!

CKs6LxKUMAEmgMG.png

I hope that the very few non-athletes who go to Manley enjoy them. Would have been so much better on the plaza in front of the Dome where everyone could enjoy them. :mad:

I hope that the very few non-athletes who go to Manley enjoy them. Would have been so much better on the plaza in front of the Dome. :mad:

I agree, but until things settle with the possible Dome renovations I can understand keeping it at Manley. It would be nice to have them in a prominent spot in front of the Dome if/when the renovations are complete

I hope that the very few non-athletes who go to Manley enjoy them. Would have been so much better on the plaza in front of the Dome where everyone could enjoy them. :mad:
Hadn't even thought of that. strange

Hard-core fans will seek them out. I have no problems with them being outside the IPF. They're there to inspire players and recruits, not a bunch of lard-a$$es like us!

I'd have been happy with them being near the Dome, but at the same time, I think you can use the Dome as a more inclusive statue area. Maybe put one of Boeheim, one of Schwartzwalder, one of Simmons. The greatest coach in each of the three big sports that use the Dome.

every time those players go into the faciltity or even walk across they are reminded of the history of what those men did for the university, for sports and for society. Or it could be a reminder that they suck and they have a long way to go still. lol...

Were they made by this lady?

medium_statue.jpg
One of the most embarrassing moments I had at the dome. I was pissed when that was unveiled. It looked nothing like him, it was scrawny, It wasn't done. We had to watch the weekly make out session between Gross and Cantor before the weekly 'honoring' of some athlete of the week before watching us lose again to South Florida. Glad times have changed.

One of the most embarrassing moments I had at the dome. I was pissed when that was unveiled. It looked nothing like him, it was scrawny, It wasn't done. We had to watch the weekly make out session between Gross and Cantor before the weekly 'honoring' of some athlete of the week before watching us lose again to South Florida. Glad times have changed.
Has the sculptor been released from prison yet?

I still think that was a self portrait.

She must have done that sculpture at Clemson too. Got a real good portfolio that one has. At least we replaced this, Clemson installed theirs.

This is such a great idea. They should do the same thing with football and basketball outside of the Dome somewhere.

Sudano said:

Horrible! Ties with Bowie fiasco for me.

I liked the earlier design with the built up earthen berm creating a quieter, more contemplative plaza. Still happy to have something that celebrates our past
i agree a grass mini quad look would have been great --more park like and serene