Judah - 13 points, 5 assists
Joe - 17 points, 3 assists
Bunch - 7 points, 4 rebounds
Benny - 8 points, 7 rebounds
Jesse - 16 points, 10 rebounds

Symir - 6 points, 3 assists
Taylor - 5 points, 4 rebounds

At least 20 ppg, people.

Do the math. Make an assumption about shooting percentages. Then an assumption about how many and which types of shots per game. When you do, tell me what the formula looks like for how Joe gets to 20 ppg. Also, probably wouldn't hurt to layer in an assumption about how many minutes per game Joe's going to need to take the number of shots needed to get to 20 ppg.

It's gonna happen everyone.

4-11 from 3 per game, 4-7 from two plus FTS is my guess. Let's go with 18 shots a game.

I’m going with:
Judah - 13 points, 5 assists
Joe - 17 points, 3 assists
Bunch - 7 points, 4 rebounds
Benny - 8 points, 7 rebounds
Jesse - 16 points, 10 rebounds

Symir - 6 points, 3 assists
Taylor - 5 points, 4 rebounds

I doubt Benny averages 7 boards.

I *seriously* doubt Jesse averages either 16 or 10 - but especially 10 boards.

Since the time of Coleman & Owens, ONLY Melo & RickJack have averaged 10+ boards for a season.

Etan had 9.3 one year.
Rak was next highest at 9.1.

Nobody else higher than 8.x.

Rak also averaged 17.5 pts, but he was the focal point of our O that year.

(RickJack averaged 13 his Sr year)

Since the time of Coleman & Owens, ONLY Melo & RickJack have averaged 10+ boards for a season.

Etan had 9.3 one year.

If it makes any better, I originally had Benny for 5 and Jesse for 9….but then I figured our team rebounds totals were kinda low so I bumped them up.

Though I gotta take into account that the backup C will grab a few, and while I didn’t have him getting Major minutes in the close games, Brown will likely grab a decent amount of boards.

How about the above will be more or less the averages in the “do or die” games where we likely play 7?

Bunch and Taylor will only play up front, so they basically split the three spot. They could also play together. Mintz and Joe start with Symir and Copeland backing up. Who backs up Benny is the biggest question. I don’t see Carey backing up Jesse, maybe Benny.

Bunch and Taylor will only play up front, so they basically split the three spot. They could also play together. Mintz and Joe start with Symir and Copeland backing up. Who backs up Benny is the biggest question. I don’t see Carey backing up Jesse, maybe Benny.
Maliq Brown, 4th forward.

At least 20 ppg, people.

Do the math. Make an assumption about shooting percentages. Then an assumption about how many and which types of shots per game. When you do, tell me what the formula looks like for how Joe gets to 20 ppg. Also, probably wouldn't hurt to layer in an assumption about how many minutes per game Joe's going to need to take the number of shots needed to get to 20 ppg.

It's gonna happen everyone.
I figured out how it could be a positive instead of a negative for the team's success for Girard to take a ton of shots.

Say 16 shots per game, with most being threes. 13 3pa at 38.4% is 5 made threes.

1-3 in two point shots. I figure he'll only take layups on the break and every other two will be really low percentage prayers that don't help the team. He will finally realize he can't finish inside and dish or reset when he penetrates too far.

4 free throw attempts at 85%

He'll total 20.4 ppg without being a complete black hole.

He'll play 35 minutes a game and thus only fires up a three every 3 minutes he's in the game or so, not exactly picking his spots, but not dominating the ball either.

Most of his shots come from the pick and roll with Edwards, off drive and dish from Mintz/Torrence, in transition from our improved defence and kickouts from offensive rebounds and post play.

This happy scenario precludes Girard falling into hero ball and several other positive end results, but isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Etan had 9.3 one year.

Yeah, feel like I point this out every time we have a good big man. The one thing that could happen is Jesse getting to 15/16 per game because we can’t score outside of he and girard. That could definitely happen. Not trying to be Debbie downer — honesty, I’m not because I don’t know how this will play out — but if the frosh are raw and struggle a bit offensively and Benny doesn’t take a massive jump, Joe and Jesse will be the offense.

I honestly think the hope is that Jesse is closer to 13 and 8 and Joe at 16 or so because the frosh are ready and we see good production from mintz and bunch (as an example) and Benny makes a big leap to 11 or 12 a game (even if they are hustle points and transition buckets). I would think, as remote as that possibility may be, it’s our best shot at being a factor in the acc

If Girard averages 20 it probably means he plays 35+ minutes a game, takes lots of shots he has no business taking and gets burned out in March from our lack of depth and/or Boeheim putting frosh in the doghouse like he has a habit of doing.

I wish that weren't the case but our recent history with volume scorers is no bueno (and SU isn't alone here).

What you're missing is, if Girard takes 20 or so shots, he's creating a ton of opportunities for SU's offensive
rebounds.

And if SU can convert on them, then the coach can say his 6-21 game was good in the same way Buddy's
8-27 game vs Buffalo was, because SU "... got the offensive rebounds on 4 or 5 of those, so it was like
Buddy went 12-27." Or some garbage like that, but that was his justification that it was ok.

Not sure what the infatuation is with him shooting a high quantity. One would think if he takes less
hero ball shots, he might miss less, and might not need to shoot as much, but that's just me.

Kev

Nothing earth shattering. I really think Symir is being slept on though.

I agree. I wasn't all that excited about his play the first 2/3 of last season, but I think he really took some strides at the end. I don't think he's on the cusp of greatness, or anything nuts, but will be a nice vet presence that should, hopefully, be a guy that can get some things done and act as a calming presence on a fairly young team.

I agree. I wasn't all that excited about his play the first 2/3 of last season, but I think he really took some strides at the end. I don't think he's on the cusp of greatness, or anything nuts, but will be a nice vet presence that should, hopefully, be a guy that can get some things done and act as a calming presence on a fairly young team.
Hes a really good player. Great handle, physical, knows how to run an offense. If he can find a shot he will play a significant role. I like our guards as they are all extremely talented and each player brings something different to the floor.
Joes a sniper with a good handle and passing skills for a 2. Symir is a prototype PG ,just needs to find his shot. Mintz is a very talented combo who can create for himself, and i think that Copeland is an athletically gifted kid with possibly the most upside including Mintz. Great set of tools for Jb .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom