PS: NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year toward penalty | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS: NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year toward penalty

I though this was always a given since we are 3 ships under the 13 limit this year. They didn't "give" us anything.

Gave us one scholarship credit on the final year of the sanction.

iommi said:
Yeah, what the heck was I thinking? I'm so fried from work. I still think we will have room for Thompson and a PG next year because it's likely someone else leaves. Unfortunately it looks like we are only really looking at Thompson. Is the staff really comfortable with our PG situation???? If so, that is a mistake.

Yeah, believe they told Battle he'll have the ball in his hands next year.

If Howard or Joseph perform better, there's your options at point guard.

See Alsacs post above ... we have 8 returning ships next year, plus 2 incoming players committed to financial aid arrangements. That means we have 11 ships available (13-2) next season, which provides room for Thompson or someone else.

It's unpredictable whether someone will leave. But as of right now we have one ship to give in addition to Moyer and Battle. So we'll see whether Thompson comes in.

up to 3 have a real shot at leaving imho

1-2 will

up to 3 have a real shot at leaving imho

1-2 will
1) If you're referring to MR/TL, neither has appeared anywhere in any of the NBA mocks I've seen; 2) If you're referring to a certain PG, not sure; and 3) if you're referring to DC, see #1.

I though this was always a given since we are 3 ships under the 13 limit this year. They didn't "give" us anything.
True we were 3 under the limit, but they allowed us to count those towards the penalties. That effectively makes the penalties 5 ships over 3 years, as opposed to 8 over 4 (or the original, 12 over 4).

1) If you're referring to MR/TL, neither has appeared anywhere in any of the NBA mocks I've seen; 2) If you're referring to a certain PG, not sure; and 3) if you're referring to DC, see #1.

I'm hoping both Mal and new Tyler are smart enough to stay. neither is remotely ready yet, not would the League throw guaranteed money at them.

I can't see any rational reason why KJ wouldn't transfer. Kid is buried and that isn't changing without something radical happening (like an injury that forces him into big playing time where he flat out lights the world on fire)

at the beginning of the year I thought this would be DC2's last year here. he would either succumb to injuries or would remain healthy and play well enough to go make some money playing ball, most likely overseas. While he hasn't played quite as well as I hoped, he has at least remained out there so maybe he still decides that its time to go earn.

the 3rd is Chino, but with the NCAAholes screwing him out of a year I just dont see him jumping elsewhere.

I feel like I'm the only one totally fine with Battle playing PG. His ballhandling and passing is superb from what I've seen.

I think Battle & Mal will be a killer backcourt next year. they will also both be young. I'd also like some depth at 1 to go along with Howard

Wheelhouse is moot -- they've assumed jurisdiction and are prosecuting UNC for impermissible benefits. And God knows ... there were plenty handed out.

As to the "Wheelhouse" concept, it wouldn't last an hour in court. If it's improper for a school to give an athlete too much help with his homework, then how could it be proper to give him the entire course?
Wheelhouse was valid until the Southern agency ruled the classes bogus. Ncaa does not rule on the validity of classes. Wheelhouse defense is now dead. NC is on the hook.

Wheelhouse was valid until the Southern agency ruled the classes bogus. Ncaa does not rule on the validity of classes. Wheelhouse defense is now dead. NC is on the hook.
The NCAA tried to avoid academic validity by casting the problem as an accreditation issue (outside its jurisdiction). Unfortunately, that simply transferred the problem to a different department, since validity often triggers the prohibition against impermissible benefits. UNC is about to learn this lesson the hard way.

Either way, you can't punish one school for providing too much help with homework, and let another school give away A's for entire courses. Labeling this as an "accreditation" problem doesn't transform bogus A's into permissible benefits. If you can't give an athlete excessive help, then obviously you can't give him an A for doing nothing.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm the only one totally fine with Battle playing PG. His ballhandling and passing is superb from what I've seen.

The only one supporting that dummy Veley, too. ;) All kidding aside, I hope you're right re: Battle. Awfully risky to supposedly give keys to the bus to these combo dudes and from all reports Battle is playing off the ball mostly currently. I think all these teams (certainly SU) are trying to find that freak and rare Russell Westbrook type. Still blows my mind about him. He didn't play PG at ALL at UCLA. It was all Darren Collison. Then he just blew up.

Battle is amazing. He will have a huge impact on our program but he's not a pure point guard. That doesn't mean he won't thrive in that role if, "putting the ball in his hands" means he'd be playing point guard. I just think SU isn't hung up on labels. JB says our guards are our guards and the point guard is whoever happens to take the ball across half court on any possession. As others have said, SU fell in love with molding guys into point guards with the success of MCW.

One thing Battle has going for him besides enormous talent, is that he is mentally tough. He'll adapt to any role and probably thrive. IMO we'd be better off with someone else initiating the offense (Howard?) and Battle playing off the ball but we will see what JB has in mind.

Wheelhouse is moot -- they've assumed jurisdiction and are prosecuting UNC for impermissible benefits. And God knows ... there were plenty handed out.

As to the "Wheelhouse" concept, it wouldn't last an hour in court. If it's improper for a school to give an athlete too much help with his homework, then how could it be proper to give him the entire course?
wheelhouse = athletes and non-athletes alike all took the fake classes, and therefor a university/state of NC/Dept of Ed issue and not an ncaa issue

(at least that's how the ncaa is positioning itself)

I'm hoping both Mal and new Tyler are smart enough to stay. neither is remotely ready yet, not would the League throw guaranteed money at them.

I can't see any rational reason why KJ wouldn't transfer. Kid is buried and that isn't changing without something radical happening (like an injury that forces him into big playing time where he flat out lights the world on fire)

at the beginning of the year I thought this would be DC2's last year here. he would either succumb to injuries or would remain healthy and play well enough to go make some money playing ball, most likely overseas. While he hasn't played quite as well as I hoped, he has at least remained out there so maybe he still decides that its time to go earn.

the 3rd is Chino, but with the NCAAholes screwing him out of a year I just dont see him jumping elsewhere.
I'd like to see Coleman stay another year and graduate. I enjoy seeing players leave with a degree.

wheelhouse = athletes and non-athletes alike all took the fake classes, and therefor a university/state of NC/Dept of Ed issue and not an ncaa issue

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - we didn't cheat enough.

Has the ncaa decided whether Syracuse can compete in div 1 basketball next year yet?
I figured we would get a answer midseason next year.

Last edited:
Battle is amazing. He will have a huge impact on our program but he's not a pure point guard. That doesn't mean he won't thrive in that role if, "putting the ball in his hands" means he'd be playing point guard. I just think SU isn't hung up on labels. JB says our guards are our guards and the point guard is whoever happens to take the ball across half court on any possession. As others have said, SU fell in love with molding guys into point guards with the success of MCW.
One thing Battle has going for him besides enormous talent, is that he is mentally tough. He'll adapt to any role and probably thrive. IMO we'd be better off with someone else initiating the offense (Howard?) and Battle playing off the ball but we will see what JB has in mind.
personally, I take anything any recruit has done in high scool with a grain of salt. It dont mean jack squat till they get here. College basketball is essentially a different sport than high school, and NBA a different sport than college. Not saying he wont be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but ive learned my lesson to not expect anthing from these incoming guys.

310Pigpen said:
I'd like to see Coleman stay another year and graduate. I enjoy seeing players leave with a degree.

Article published in the beginning of last year on Syracuse.com said he was on track to graduate this past December.

I don't think Battle's jumpshot is strong enough to put him at SG. That would put Howard at PG and leave us with two guards who I think will be sub-33% career 3pt shooters (however short those careers may be). It's fine for stretches but I'm much happier at the thought of Tyus running Point and Mal bombing threes from SG.

MCW wasn't so much molded into a PG as he was a PG who just happened to be 6'6". Tyus is in somewhat the same mold I think; he recognizes that his scoring isn't elite enough to get to the League as a SG, so he's been working on the transition to PG for a few years. Gbinije is a stop-gap; he wouldn't be playing any PG if KJ lived up to expectations.

That was the case at UNC (AFAM open to the entire school), and they still cited the AD for impermissible (academic) benefits since they deliberately funneled athletes through those "classes" and manipulated the grades.

I see what the NCAA's trying to do ... duck mass-scale academic fraud. I just don't think they can do it and still prohibit impermissible benefits. The logic is inescapable: Free A's for whole courses are obviously more egregious than excessive help with 1 assignment.

You would think. But this is the NCAA we're talking about here.
Maybe if we simplify it for them:

NCAA Word Problem:

If excessive assistance is impermissible for Athletic Departments, and one school provides EA to a student athlete trying to complete a single assignment, and another school provides EA to a student athlete for a whole course (or even an entire major), which is the worse violation?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - we didn't cheat enough.
yep.

all we got out of it (and all they took) was a bunch of regular season wins.

whoop de damn do.

id rather have a plaque and see them try to take it.

Maybe if we simplify it for them:

NCAA Word Problem:

If excessive assistance is impermissible for Athletic Departments, and one school provides EA to a student athlete trying to complete a single assignment, and another school provides EA to a student athlete for a whole course (or even an entire major), which is the worse violation?
The flaw in your approach is that you're trying to impose logic on an illogical organization.