Put JB's words in his own mouth | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Put JB's words in his own mouth

Then if that's the case then so was I.

Then no need to correct my poin. He spin his argument to always be right.

Also I've had conversations with him the past that he told me specifically there's no such thing as potential l!

you either do it or you don't there's no such thing as potential!

I'm waiting.
Nonsense!... JB absolutely thinks this team has potential...

to potentially loose every ACC game we play this season.

Nonsense!... JB absolutely thinks this team has potential...

to potentially loose every ACC game we play this season.

The team bought into JB's preseason talk on how good they were. Then they struggled and JB sent them the message that they sucked. They've believed that message too.

He's said the wrong things and sent the wrong messages since September.

Frankly, this is the first time in his tenure that he's seemed beleaguered. He really has no answers. Sad.

if you lose by 30 to st john's in the worst home loss ever at the dome you best be expecting a pie in the face during a call in show. in fact you deserve it.

Who do you think you are jousting with here? Do you actually think I would let you get away with this lame attempt to put words in my mouth?

You can do everything to the best of your ability and things just don't work out. Ask Sally Ride and the crew of the Challenger.

Ad campaigns fail. Product launches fail. Battle plans fail. All put together by a lot of smart guys who know what they are doing and have long track records of success.

JB recruited the best players he could even attracting some highly sought after grad transfers. He used the same highly-evolved process to attempt to integrate them into a team. So far, the product has been woeful against even average competition.

And now the disappointed and frustrated and self-described experts come out of the woodwork. They look to assign blame. They trot out old arguments that have been continually discredited (e.g. M2M). They seek to settle old scores (e.g, the "JB's mean to reporters and I don't like it" crowd).

They are like hyenas seeing the wounded lion struggling.

Sally Ride? Challenger? Whatchu talking bout Willis?

The challenger disaster came about in part due to poor decisions by NASA leadership. So Townies analogy is more appropriate than even he in his all-knowing and not at all condescending way realized.

Also Sally Ride totally was on Challenger.

The challenger disaster came about in part due to poor decisions by NASA leadership. So Townies analogy is more appropriate than even he in his all-knowing and not at all condescending way realized.

If you had number 345,0345 for the thread where the Challenger disaster would be brought up, YOU WIN

I just wish he would stop doing this. How can you expect players to get better, when you tell them they're no good?

I mean, really. Just retire already.
So you can maybe take over?

This might be the ONLY losing season in JBs history at SU.

I'm SUre he wouldn't like it, cause I think not to have a losing season in 40+ years as a D1 coach is unprecedented, but YOU have been a whiner for some years, or is it decades?

Oh and PS the season isn't over yet. Which is why I used the word MIGHT.

Perhaps you should root for Cornell or Ithaca College, Matty.

Last edited:
Does he not get the blame ever? Or does he only get the credit when we have a fluke 4 game run in March. Good deal for old Jimmy.

Your fourth post, boyo or girlie!

Usually people wait till at least a double digit post to display such arrogance and mind numbing lack of perspective.

Are you an undergraduate or still in HS/JHS/grade school?

Exactly.

It depends on your definition of each.

We can argue if a definition of a talented player includes team-oriented skills in addition to shoot, jump, run, rebound, court-vision, etc.

But a talented team would seem to be one that plays well together.

Is there any wonder why JB gets curt or snarky with questioners when he faces these kind of questions that are not intended to do anything but embarrass him or trip him up?

And for 41 years he has been asked to respond to loaded questions designed to allow the reporter to write a story under an eye-catching headline or from frustrated fans.

In this case, it was a frustrated fan reaching back into the pre-season and latching onto what appears to be a contradiction.

He makes a lot of money. He earns it.
Thank you for this, townie.

I gotta try to remember to call in and ask JB a good question to make up for this one.

Maybe one that makes him genuinely laugh.

Although Sally Ride did fly on Challenger several times, she was not on board during the fateful mission in 1986.

She died of pancreatic cancer in 2012.

Are we not fans and paying customers to the university?
Are we not allowed to appreciate the good but call out the bad?
You don't have to circle the wagons all the time. I will defend JB when its appropriate see the NCAA crap but I will criticize the guy for his faults especially when he doesn't change or care to change.

He has done a poor job at recruiting the last few years. Save Battle's last second flip we would be beyond screwed in the future of backcourt.

He has an all guard all alumni coaching staff which isn't developing a lot of the recent talent.

Jim Boeheim is paid money for his services he deserves a lot more of the scorn over the kids who are playing for an education and not a salary.
The assistant coaches are paid not the players.

Even if some of the customers don't dispense their displeasure whether they are bigtime donors or just regular season ticket holders doesn't mean others can't.

Jim Boeheim is not god and even though he will forget more than I or others will know doesn't mean other opinions can't be given. He isn't perfect and while I thank him for his 41 years as HC I can say he isn't perfect.
He does a lot for charity but he isn't above criticism.
JB has done a poor job of recruiting the past few years?

Am I misremembering or did the team not get to two Final Fours in 2013 and 2015, and 2015 was totally unexpected?

I'd call that a DAMN GOOD job of recruiting but I'm weird.

PS I just double checked my poor memory and yes I did climb to the very next to last row of the Georgia Dome in 2013 to watch our guys lose in the semis of the FF. Still, it's one item off that famous list. Going to a winning one would be even nicer. Might not happen till Coach Hop has taken over.

Or hey, miracles do happen. I became a Mets fan in 1968, or at least that's the first year my dad started bringing me to games. I suspect because he felt comfortable letting me go to the bathroom by myself at age 7!

Am I misremembering or did the team not get to two Final Fours in 2013 and 2015, and 2015 was totally unexpected?

PS I just double checked my poor memory and yes I did climb to the very next to last row of the Georgia Dome in 2013 to watch our guys lose in the semis of the FF. Still, it's one item off that famous list. Going to a winning one would be even nicer. Might not happen till Coach Hop has taken over.

Or hey, miracles do happen. I became a Mets fan in 1968, or at least that's the first year my dad started bringing me to games. I suspect because he felt comfortable letting me go to the bathroom by myself at age 7!

We played a 15 and 11 seed in the second and third rounds last year. Then two days later we won on the back one of the best five minute stretches by one player I can remember. If you think thats a sustainable formula for success for a program of our caliber then that's fine. But it glosses over the fact that we lost 14 games in the regular season and we're a pretty controversial selection based on body of work.

As far as our recruiting is concerned, well the five man class of 2013 produced one consistently good college player who promptly went pro after one year. The class of 2014 was a disaster. The class of 2015 is better, but we still don't know about Howard, Diange never made it campus, and Mali plays for the Kings.

Yes our recruiting has been poor. I know we have made the Final Four twice but if you can't be objective and say last year was clearly an outlier then your not being fair.
In 2013
we brought in
Tyler Ennis- stud who left after one year.
Ron Patterson-did very little and was pushed out after 2014-15.
BJ Johnson had upside but the staff wanted him to RS and he didn't and he was pushed out after 2014-15. Good player now.
Chino Obohok- probably the less productive Syracuse scholarship player since Sean Williams. He left after 3 years graduating.

In 2014
Kaleb Joseph- JB killed this kids confidence and he was broken. Was a top 60 recruit. He left after last year.
Chris McCullough- kid got hurt and JB did everything he could in the press to get this kid back and he didn't. I don't think JB's words in the press at all helped this kid at all. They all want to go to the NBA not stay.

In 2015.
We lost Moustapha Diagne to the NCAA BS. This isn't JB's fault.
Tyler Lydon- really solid good player, he was a great 4th option last year and been a team leader this year.
Frank Howard- this kid is playing as good as he can but has been poor against P5 teams.
Malachi Richardson- stud player who is why we made the Final Four last year with his 2nd half performance against UVA.

In 2016
Matt Moyer- RS TBA
Tyus Battle- kid has a lot of potential and is key to the rest of this season.

Since 2013 we have had hit on Ennis, Lydon, Richardson. McCullough got hurt and likely would have been a hit.
We have bombed on Chino, Patterson, Joseph.
Johnson we should have tried to keep.
Howard, Battle and Moyer are TBA.

For a top 10 program like Syracuse this is middle of the road. We haven't recruited a playable PG since Ennis. Gbinije was a god send transfer. We haven't recruited a big who could score with back to the basket since Rak Christmas in 2012. I mean W-T-F is going on in recruiting.

We need a PG and a Big who can post. Our offense has been hot garbage since 2012. It is true. If the offense was 10% better we likely play for a NC in 2013. That team had MCW/Fair/Triche/Southerland and couldn't score in the half court outside of Fair jumpers.

Last edited:
The front court recruiting is fine IMO. We could be a top ten team with Lydon and Thompson as your lead players. It's the backcourt that needs work and I'm not so sure that's just recruiting. These guys we are getting Howard(top 100), Joseph(top 50) and Battle(top 40) aren't developing so is it the recruiting or the coaching?

Last edited:
Because he said talent! And then corrected my use of the word talent.

It is the same word.

He's allowed to use it how he wants but I'm not that's the point. And if were not talented?

Why are we not talented he's responsible. How was Saint johns talented when we don't even want those players?

This is not a complicated argument don't make it one!
I'm trying but your attempt at a coherent point in all of this continues to elude me.

How the hard is it to see/hear that JB is saying the players were looking really good leading up to the season and in practices, as individual players, and as such he made the pre-season statements he did to national media. But they haven't come together as a successful team needs to do. Some of the players have regressed, playing scared/tentative/listless. Earlier those players were looking talented and now they're not looking talented. And in the process, he made no claim that it's just on the players and not on the coaches that the players are now looking like that. As he made clear in his presser after SJ, (his) coaching is part of the problem.

Yeah, there are plenty of coaches out there who would be pleasant to questions of judgement in the midst of their team struggling. How many coaches around the country even field live questions from fans?

Doesn't almost every major college in the country have call-in shows like we do? It's not like Syracuse is this massive market.

Doesn't almost every major college in the country have call-in shows like we do? It's not like Syracuse is this massive market.
I think almost every coach in the ACC has a TV show.

OK, and I'd being willing to bet that at least some of those coaches, if challenged while in the midst of team struggling mightily, wouldn't be real polite.
And, again, it's JB being JB - an outward style towards reporters/the general public that has long been thin-skinned and reactive. I stopped hoping years ago that he'd change that style.

OK, and I'd being willing to bet that at least some of those coaches, if challenged while in the midst of team struggling mightily, wouldn't be real polite.
And, again, it's JB being JB - an outward style towards reporters/the general public that has long been thin-skinned and reactive. I stopped hoping years ago that he'd change that style.

Not to be disagreeable, but JB is not very charming most of the time he deals with the media. I mean, I've been watching this show for 40 years. In fact, I think he's getting more disagreeable as he gets older, especially toward his own players. I think the early entry stuff has really rubbed him the wrong way, particularly as he sees kids going up the draft board when they've only played a handful of games and aren't even executing what he wants them to do yet. I think that really pisses him off, and we've seen him throw kids under the bus to keep expectations down, and to keep them focused on the team and not themselves, and then they go and get drafted in the middle of the first round.

Once again, Pat didn't challenge him. He said "It’s obvious we have a lot of talent ..." and never got farther. We never even got to hear the question he wanted to ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom