Put JB's words in his own mouth | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Put JB's words in his own mouth

Not to be disagreeable, but JB is not very charming most of the time he deals with the media. I mean, I've been watching this show for 40 years. In fact, I think he's getting more disagreeable as he gets older, especially toward his own players. I think the early entry stuff has really rubbed him the wrong way, particularly as he sees kids going up the draft board when they've only played a handful of games and aren't even executing what he wants them to do yet. I think that really pisses him off, and we've seen him throw kids under the bus to keep expectations down, and to keep them focused on the team and not themselves, and then they go and get drafted in the middle of the first round.

He's usually calm and polite when he does the show. He's talking to fans and it's a few days since the last game. On this occasion his team had been blown out of their own place by a team we were expected to beat and he has one game and a few practices before the conference season starts to fix it. He's clearly more frustrated by this team than any other and Pat's reference to how talented the team is just pressed the wrong button.

Once again, Pat didn't challenge him. He said "It’s obvious we have a lot of talent ..." and never got farther. We never even got to hear the question he wanted to ask.
Well maybe he can share his question and then we can all speculate on how JB would have responded.

I think so. Thad Matta has a call-in show broadcasted here in the Cleveland area.

Not to be disagreeable, but JB is not very charming most of the time he deals with the media. I mean, I've been watching this show for 40 years. In fact, I think he's getting more disagreeable as he gets older, especially toward his own players. I think the early entry stuff has really rubbed him the wrong way, particularly as he sees kids going up the draft board when they've only played a handful of games and aren't even executing what he wants them to do yet. I think that really pisses him off, and we've seen him throw kids under the bus to keep expectations down, and to keep them focused on the team and not themselves, and then they go and get drafted in the middle of the first round.
Other than the IMO inaccurate "throwing kids under the bus" line - true only really with Not-So-Fab-Melo and who could blame him? - what do you think JB is wrong to be annoyed about re the direction of the game?

And I've been watching JB for nearly 40 (!) years too. Seems to me he is plenty charming and even self deprecating to non-idiots with good manners.

Other than the IMO inaccurate "throwing kids under the bus" line - true only really with Not-So-Fab-Melo and who could blame him? - what do you think JB is wrong to be annoyed about re the direction of the game?

And I've been watching JB for nearly 40 (!) years too. Seems to me he is plenty charming and even self deprecating to non-idiots with good manners.

Have you forgotten the treatment of Chris McCullough? He buried him to try to keep the NBA predictions from getting out of hand.

We are witnessing him destroy Tyler Roberson as a useful, contributing player.

He was not in favor of either Jeremi Grant or Tyler Ennis going pro when they did. I also think I recall with Malachi that he wasn't a believer that he would make the first round when he first began to put his name in consideration for the draft. I recall him saying something about "it's a long process" with respect to the NBA evaluation, and there would be opportunities for Malachi to withdraw his name; expecting he would get that feedback.

You can argue that he pulled the trigger too soon on clearing out BJ, since we have had open spaces on our roster since he was asked to leave. Patterson and Obokoh did not have the look of contributors at this level, other than as deep bench players. He cut Kaleb loose after saying he was the most improved player coming into his sophomore year. Rakim Christmas could have developed faster as an offensive threat than he did if not for Boeheim's approach to offense. We never use our centers well. In 40 years, you can count maybe half a dozen who played an important role for us scoring in the low post.

I'm just tired of how he manages his players. I'm tired of how he berates them, and the local press, who he always enjoys giving a good kicking.

I don't know if Mike is going to be the answer or not. But I know that Wildhack is not going to let it go on very long if he's not winning games.

You can say that Dino hasn't won anything yet, and he hasn't here, but he has elsewhere. What I love about Dino, though, is how he conducts himself around the kids, where he is tough but nurturing. He is relentlessly upbeat and positive. I get the sense that Mike Hopkins is like that as a coach, but we just don't really know yet. Maybe Mike will be overwhelmed. I think he will substitute players more often than Boeheim. I think he may try some things that Boeheim doesn't.

But Boeheim hasn't been able to get this team to run effectively in about 4 years now, and that was a big part of our success - getting run outs for easy baskets out of the zone. And for all the length he has been recruiting to "fine tune" it, I don't see many breakaways these days. Our half court offense remains boring and predictable. And he browbeats the players to the point that they all played scared of making mistakes. It's a tired act. It has been a great ride but it's about over.

Have you forgotten the treatment of Chris McCullough? He buried him to try to keep the NBA predictions from getting out of hand.

We are witnessing him destroy Tyler Roberson as a useful, contributing player.

He was not in favor of either Jeremi Grant or Tyler Ennis going pro when they did. I also think I recall with Malachi that he wasn't a believer that he would make the first round when he first began to put his name in consideration for the draft. I recall him saying something about "it's a long process" with respect to the NBA evaluation, and there would be opportunities for Malachi to withdraw his name; expecting he would get that feedback.

You can argue that he pulled the trigger too soon on clearing out BJ, since we have had open spaces on our roster since he was asked to leave. Patterson and Obokoh did not have the look of contributors at this level, other than as deep bench players. He cut Kaleb loose after saying he was the most improved player coming into his sophomore year. Rakim Christmas could have developed faster as an offensive threat than he did if not for Boeheim's approach to offense. We never use our centers well. In 40 years, you can count maybe half a dozen who played an important role for us scoring in the low post.

I'm just tired of how he manages his players. I'm tired of how he berates them, and the local press, who he always enjoys giving a good kicking.

I don't know if Mike is going to be the answer or not. But I know that Wildhack is not going to let it go on very long if he's not winning games.

You can say that Dino hasn't won anything yet, and he hasn't here, but he has elsewhere. What I love about Dino, though, is how he conducts himself around the kids, where he is tough but nurturing. He is relentlessly upbeat and positive. I get the sense that Mike Hopkins is like that as a coach, but we just don't really know yet. Maybe Mike will be overwhelmed. I think he will substitute players more often than Boeheim. I think he may try some things that Boeheim doesn't.

But Boeheim hasn't been able to get this team to run effectively in about 4 years now, and that was a big part of our success - getting run outs for easy baskets out of the zone. And for all the length he has been recruiting to "fine tune" it, I don't see many breakaways these days. Our half court offense remains boring and predictable. And he browbeats the players to the point that they all played scared of making mistakes. It's a tired act. It has been a great ride but it's about over.
You remember Chris McCullough the way you like.

Here's how CBS Sports and I remember his freshman season at SU ending and please note the numbers Chris had put up through the first 16 games, including the cupcake portion of the season. I believe CBS put it at 9.3 points and 6.9 rebounds. Decent numbers for a freshman, but again many games were against easy opponents and neither figure got into the doubles category you'd expect a player to make the leap to the NBA after one year to have.

Syracuse frosh Chris McCullough out for season with torn right ACL

And here's the article in April when Chris declared and JB's reaction. First the news piece by Donna Ditota:

Chris McCullough will leave Syracuse basketball to enter NBA Draft

Then an opinion one by Bud Poliquin. I know lots of people slam Bud here, but look at the numbers HE cites that Chris put up in his last 7 games against not stellar competition save probably Villanova. This time, I'm with Bud:

Chris McCullough's choice to leave Syracuse basketball may be odd, but it's his mistake to make

Oh but wait! Yet a THIRD ARTICLE, by Donna, quoting Chris telling Yahoo Sports that his girlfriend was about to give birth. Now that not only constitutes a very good reason to risk a scholarship for a million or so up front, but if the kid wasn't premature s/he was conceived in August, BEFORE Chris was formally under JBs tutelage in September. Maybe even in one of those torrid "bye bye baby I'm off to basketball camp see you in X number of weeks" scenarios.

Chris McCullough to Yahoo Sports: 'This was a decision I felt that I needed to make'

So basically Chris and his GF had a baby because either he didn't wrap it or as Elvis said, Accidents Will Happen.

Any way you slice it, NOT JBs FAULT.

I just wish he would stop doing this. How can you expect players to get better, when you tell them they're no good?

I mean, really. Just retire already.
You mean you didnt know? It's not JBs fault that his roster is "not talented enough." He isn't the one responsible for recruiting and developing his players! That's on someone else not his! Also, very funny how this team is not talented enough when that's all you heard him say before the season started. Second they start losing, it's their talent level and not his coaching that has not changed in 10+ years.

I'm not getting what's scandalous -
per SWC75's transcript, JB made it pretty clear that, yes, he believed we had alot of talent assembled heading into the season - but that the talent isn't showing through in enough of the games so far - so therefor it's hard to call our team talented right now.
I'm not sure I agree with that concept of "talent" but I certainly see his point, and I don't think he's wrong

Which the reason the talent is not being shown is because the coaching is providing no advantages on the offensive end. Creating no long closeouts and has very little concepts and actions to whatever we run on offense. There is a reason why everyone on the roster stinks on the offensive end statistic wise this year (Lydon 12.2 ppg which I expected a lot more especially against this cupcake portion of the schedule). JBs defense has always been his saving grace and that's another problem in itself. Why this team may be the worst in the ACC but is easily top 8 in the conference talent wise.

his coaching that has not changed in 10+ years.
and there ya go, folks! hasn't changed a thing in 10+ years!
you should consider sticking to an Eagles message board where this sort of genius sentiment is probably eaten up as gospel

and there ya go, folks! hasn't changed a thing in 10+ years!
you should consider sticking to an Eagles message board where this sort of genius sentiment is probably eaten up as gospel
What has changed in his Xs and Os? Tweaks the zone at the half that's about it

This is what I remember. I'm sure this made his decision a lot easier. Who wants to come back to this?

Boeheim criticizes Chris McCullough again
Thought I replied to this earlier. I must not have hit send.

The article you linked talked about McCullough scoring 5 points or less in 3 straight games in DECEMBER; presumably during cupcake season. So if your highly touted freshman is doing that and STILL is talked about or worse, is in the locker room TALKING about being drafted by the NBA then yeah, JBs gonna go ape on ya and publicly.

Perhaps you would like a coach who does THIS better? Takes a star player out for the first half ONLY after the third major tripping incident in two seasons? And coincidentally JBs best bud?

Be sure to watch coach Ks press conference. You think JB would use weasel words like that I this instance? Ever? HA!

Grayson Allen trips opponent for third time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom