Q- | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Q-

I wonder how much different this year would have been for Q with a healthy Chance. Don’t know enough of the plan but would they have played together or he’s basically overtaken what the staff expected from Westry?

I’d assume Judah and JJ wouldn’t be playing as heavy a minutes load?

I’m not sure if Q can/will be out PG, but all I can say is that we are in serious need of a PG that can actually shoot from deep and handle the responsibilities. Let’s be real, Judah cannot shoot the 3 ball and at best is a decent passer (when he wants). Joe could shoot the 3 ball, but was never an actual PG and needed help to get the ball across half court. And lots of peoples favorite that is at another school can certainly pass the ball, but is brutal at the 3 pointer. He is 9/41 this year, maybe JAB was once again right in restricting someone from doing something that wasn’t their specialty.

Q is tall enough to see over his defender in most matchups, so I'm not sure it's as vital for him to be a knockdown shooter as it would be for Judah. But I do think he needs to be a capable and willing three-point shooter to keep defenses from sagging off him. Something like 33% on 2-3 attempts per game (assuming 32ish MPG) is all I'm looking for.

Q is tall enough to see over his defender in most matchups, so I'm not sure it's as vital for him to be a knockdown shooter as it would be for Judah. But I do think he needs to be a capable and willing three-point shooter to keep defenses from sagging off him. Something like 33% on 2-3 attempts per game (assuming 32ish MPG) is all I'm looking for.
And post up his guy!

With the form on Maliq's three point attempts, I can see him being a much better pick and pop threat. Or hit Cope with the return pass sliding to the basket. With their passing, they could be a great offensive duo for the next two years. That set probably works with Freeman as well.

He's gonna blow the roof off our place over the next 2 ( I hope) years with his flair. Even though some here don't believe in him...he will be our PG.
Q beating a 3 off the bounce is different than him beating a 1 off the bounce.

He’ll get his moments to run the point next year, but the plan isn’t for him to be the primary PG.

I could see him starting at the 3 or 6th man.

We need some psycho rebounder blocks and D Rodman type scary dude center to go with Q and Bell and just talk smack for 40 minutes goad opposing coaches and benches and slide Malik to the 4.

With all due respect to Eric, Q is more exciting.

Q still has to jump up in the air and karate kick an opponent before I agree. LOL

I've been Q's #1 fan since his recruitment. Legitimately been obsessed and a huge supporter even early last year when he wasn't getting as much time and a lot of people weren't high on him. With that said, if Red has an opportunity to get an elite PG who shoots 3s in the portal, he needs to do that, and then he needs to convince Q to stay too. Even with a portal PG Q will play huge minutes and have the ball in his hand a ton -- positionless basketball. But it appears we're losing Judah, who leads in points assists and steals, from a bubble team and we need to replace him in the portal, and we need to fix the shooting problem in the portal. But yes I want the ball in Q’s hands a ton next year and I expect a huge season out of him.

He’ll get his moments to run the point next year, but the plan isn’t for him to be the primary PG.

Yeah, I tend to agree.

People see the passing and open floor handling and think he'd be an adequate lead guard. Doesn't work that way.

But Q has some versatility. And there is no doubt that he has terrific court vision, no matter what position he is playing.

Much more so than some "combos" we've tried to use at the point in the past, like Frank Howard.

Not sure that Q will ever be a full time point, but he can chip in there. Or he can be a complimentary ball handler, or a guy who handles well enough from the 3 to initiate the offense in half court sets.

Positionless basketball being all the rage.

Gut feel. The PG next year will be JJ.

I'd prefer for a transfer portal PG who has played the position full time.

But I could see JJ being the 1 in the sense that Judah is the "point" this year. Could happen -- especially if a player like Choppa proves to be too good to keep out of the starting lineup @ the 2.

Again, stated my preference above, but doesn't seem far-fetched to suggest that JJ shifts over to Judah's spot next year.

I'd prefer for a transfer portal PG who has played the position full time.

But I could see JJ being the 1 in the sense that Judah is the "point" this year. Could happen -- especially if a player like Choppa proves to be too good to keep out of the starting lineup @ the 2.

Again, stated my preference above, but doesn't seem far-fetched to suggest that JJ shifts over to Judah's spot next year.
This incredibly, might come down to money. How to we want to spend it. Just like the pros. Do we spend it on a pt when we can get a center? Or a forward?

JJ has more turnovers than assists in his college career. It would be a massive failure if we have to start him at the point next year. Trevor Cooney, Tyus Battle, and Buddy Boeheim had more assists than him at the 2.

Last edited:
MCW was not a lockdown shooter, but could really see the floor. He did ok.

Yikes! JJ is not a PG he’s not even a distributor. He’s a scorer who rarely passes once he puts the ball on the floor toward the basket. I think he’s gonna have a huge junior season as our two guard.

I expect Judah will pursue his pro career. We need to bring in a PG. Q is a great play maker against small forwards and possibly against other point guards. Either way he’s not gonna play 40 minutes at PG next season. And if you have another point guard you can play them both together since Q can guard multiple positions.

Last edited:

You know what? Put any label you want on him…..I honestly don’t care. I just want the ball in his hands.

I think he needs to tighten up his dribble just a bit and become a bit more of an outside threat in order to run PG full time, but I do think he has the skill/potential for it.
Good point on his handle

He will start.

I’m not sure if Q can/will be out PG, but all I can say is that we are in serious need of a PG that can actually shoot from deep and handle the responsibilities. Let’s be real, Judah cannot shoot the 3 ball and at best is a decent passer (when he wants). Joe could shoot the 3 ball, but was never an actual PG and needed help to get the ball across half court. And lots of peoples favorite that is at another school can certainly pass the ball, but is brutal at the 3 pointer. He is 9/41 this year, maybe JAB was once again right in restricting someone from doing something that wasn’t their specialty.
How dare you say boeheim was right at something!

He's by far my favorite player on this team. That doesn't mean I don't scream at him through my TV a few times a game, but that's just because I care.

This season would actually have been a bust had he not stepped up.
Judah is the star, Brown is the glue and Cope is our killer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom