Qaadir Sheppard, Amir Ealey dismissed from program | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Qaadir Sheppard, Amir Ealey dismissed from program

Slayton stays inside. 4 DT's. I'm guessing Guidice moves outside.

But it’ll be by committee. Babers said yesterday he wants guys who can play multiple positions. The flexibility gives them more depth and also means a better athlete.

Am I missing anybody?

DT Slayton
DT Clark
DT Samuels
DT Cross
DT/DE Guidice
DE Pickard
DE Carter
DE Black
DE Nelson
DE Coleman

They may also go with a little more of a 3-4 front than normal to rotate bodies. We seem to be pretty stocked at LB although they may not be as big as you want in a traditional 3-4.

While on suspension? No excuse then. Complete idiocy. And yes, I know we all did stupid things when we were young. but, at some point, you have to put your adult pants on and start taking responsibility.

Even more stupid than I can repeat.

They may also go with a little more of a 3-4 front than normal to rotate bodies. We seem to be pretty stocked at LB although they may not be as big as you want in a traditional 3-4.
Babers said you need a strong front 4 without help from linebackers to be successful in the Tampa 2. How can you run stop in a 3-4 when Linebackers are committed to covering the underneath?

we beat BC with no DEs in rotation we can probably get that same level of DE play out the 4 kids we have now and Lb on occasion.. we had a walkon end the year playing too. injuries though and we are in a tough strait. Clark played DE that last game too

VirginiaOrange said:
My prediction from other posts - Slayton moves outside and Ruff sees time there too.

Ruff is 255 pounds. He may have never seen a down at MLB.

Babers said you need a strong front 4 without help from linebackers to be successful in the Tampa 2. How can you run stop in a 3-4 when Linebackers are committed to covering the underneath?

I would modify my scheme by occasionally only using 3 lineman and substituting a beast of a LB playing on the line like the Raiders use Khalil Mack. I think that limiting the young DE's snaps by even 10-15% will help them to stay fresh through the season. You would still have three linebackers out there to cover the underneath. The problem then becomes not being predictable when going 3-4 vs 4-3.

I think KJ Ruff could be this type player eventually as he seems to be on the edge of outgrowing the LB position.

I hate this. I'm okay with them being punished for breaking team rules but I hate that it's due to smoking pot, if you get what I'm saying? Legalize it, my god. If pot is illegal, alchohal should be illegal. So unbelievably ridiculous.

Arcinega's situation looms huge. Would have been nice having him back next year.

Looks like we'll have little choice but to play the young uns.

Two more scholarships opened up, so maybe a JUCO could be added as a stop gap. Hope they leave no stone unturned.

Ruff is 255 pounds. He may have never seen a down at MLB.
Most Tampa 2 MLB are around 250lbs. Look the kid can flat out cover and has speed to get to the ball. Ruff will bet he MLB of the Tampa 2 defense.

PAcuse said:
Most Tampa 2 MLB are around 250lbs. Look the kid can flat out cover and has speed to get to the ball. Ruff will bet he MLB of the Tampa 2 defense.

Perhaps. But I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a run at DE his freshman year.

I don't see him usurping Zaire in year 1. I could see packages where they get used together similar to what I posted above. It could work out pretty well too if you disguise your blitzes and coverages well. That's an additional chess piece you don't normally get out of a traditional DE.

I don't see him usurping Zaire in year 1. I could see packages where they get used together similar to what I posted above. It could work out pretty well too if you disguise your blitzes and coverages well. That's an additional chess piece you don't normally get out of a traditional DE.

I could. New coaching staff + new system -- we aren't sure whether Franklin suits what the new coaches will be looking for.

I think Williams the DT 2016 recruit could also see some early time at strong side defensive end in the tampa 2. He is big and strong and uses his hands well I think he could see some time there until he gets bigger and stronger and moves inside.

Move Zaire to the outside. Zaire will playing better and have more freedom to move around. Ruff will be our starting MLB. My humble opinion of course.
It makes sense with how the Tampa 2 is run.

I think Williams the DT 2016 recruit could also see some early time at strong side defensive end in the tampa 2. He is big and strong and uses his hands well I think he could see some time there until he gets bigger and stronger and moves inside.

That's a good point. We do have some flexible athletes on the D Line thankfully.

I hate this. I'm okay with them being punished for breaking team rules but I hate that it's due to smoking pot, if you get what I'm saying? Legalize it, my god. If pot is illegal, alchohal should be illegal. So unbelievably ridiculous.

It pretty much is if you are under 21, which would probably be the age of 2/3 of the undergrads at SU. I'm guessing they have rules about underage drinking for the athletes as well.

There are a few OL that may get moved. Roberts and Hayes played DL in high school...There are options. There will be a lot of experimenting and re-evaluating that's going to happen this spring...nothing is written in stone. We have to forget everything that has previously transpired with this current roster. With Babers everything will change to fit system needs.

Last edited:
They need to go JUCO here to replace them unless someone is still out there uncommitted.

all we have are incoming freshmen and RS freshmen at the position, so I wouldn't think they would take an uncommitted HS kid, unless he is really good and somehow slipped under the radar or didn't qualify by signing day. JUCO and grad transfer really are needed. we have to have some experience at the position. grad transfer from a P5 school would be ideal, if such a person exists(a good player, that is!).

Even if it's made legal, that doesn't stop the school from banning it and handing out punishment. And alcohol is illegal for those under 21. They could have been punished the same if arrested for underage drinking three times. I really don't want to start a political debate, but gun ownership is legal (and protected by our Constitution) to citizens over 18, but you can bet if they were found with a gun on school they would have been gone after the first time it was found out.

PAcuse said:

Where does Franklin go? He's much better than he showed last year. There's a reason he was named a captain as a sophomore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom