Class of 2020 - QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a great senior year. Cuse came in late like other teams but there wasnt much info on him. Michigan had a commit that medically retired so they added Villari in place of him. They liked his potential. None of us know how good he will be but its a QB that the new staff wanted. Theyve had success with QB's with similar skill sets.
Yeah he fits the mold of great athlete and a QB. That’s the type that they target.

Can we run the wishbone with nothing but QBs?

Asking for a friend, seriously though can you image the sets, formations and plays that Anae’s is going to come up with for the Shredder and this kid!
You don't have to imagine it. Just finds some game footage of UVA this year with Armstrong and Thompson. Anae is very creative at getting these guys on the field at the same time.

Folks may want to pump the brakes here a little bit. He ended up at Michigan as a late pickup with no other P5 offers because their top QB in that class got diagnosed with a heart defect in the spring before enrolling and had to retire from football. Villari was a roll of the dice pickup for them because he was available and could fill that slot in their class. 2nd time around it looks like no other p5 offers again. Could he work out? Sure. Is he going to be on the field this year as a QB? I think something would have had to have went bad for us in order for that to happen. Regardless, good pickup by the staff. If you can get a NY kid that has spent 2 years with Harbaugh and a big time staff at Michigan or you can pick through the scraps of the 3rd tier high school kids who would only have 1 more year of eligibility, this is a real easy call. Not that they can't still take a high school kid if they discover one they love. 5 scholarship QBs is not particularly unusual especially when whoever seems to be 4th on the depth chart after Spring ball may take off anyway.

Folks may want to pump the brakes here a little bit. He ended up at Michigan as a late pickup with no other P5 offers because their top QB in that class got diagnosed with a heart defect in the spring before enrolling and had to retire from football. Villari was a roll of the dice pickup for them because he was available and could fill that slot in their class. 2nd time around it looks like no other p5 offers again. Could he work out? Sure. Is he going to be on the field this year as a QB? I think something would have had to have went bad for us in order for that to happen. Regardless, good pickup by the staff. If you can get a NY kid that has spent 2 years with Harbaugh and a big time staff at Michigan or you can pick through the scraps of the 3rd tier high school kids who would only have 1 more year of eligibility, this is a real easy call. Not that they can't still take a high school kid if they discover one they love. 5 scholarship QBs is not particularly unusual especially when whoever seems to be 4th on the depth chart after Spring ball may take off anyway.
I get your sentiment but I don’t think anyone is dubbing him the savior. Just like his size and skill set. Also he was third string which doesn’t sound great but beat out a Texas tech starter who transfered in to Michigan with him.
I still think this is shraders team for the next two years and this is about building quality competition behind him. Not only for back up spot but to push him. Obviously lamson, Morgan or both may transfer depending how this shakes out. Just hope that doesn’t happen until after next fall. Important to note, that was going to happen regardless of who was brought in.

We needed to add a QB. I don't think you can get picky about the years of eligibility remaining.

If we lose a guy because another guy came in, them you just have to go get another guy.
Welcome to The Age of the Portal, which is supposed to be all about the players.

Yeah, Villari is a solid backup IMO

He’s a #2 for sure, don’t think he will have a chance at beating out GS

He will 100% be on the field at times with GS to add wrinkles but I just can’t see him being the #1

Obviously, when he gets on campus and starts practicing in the spring things can change, but as it stands right now, he was brought in for depth and to give us a viable option if GS goes down

He will 100% be on the field at times with GS to add wrinkles but I just can’t see him being the #1

Obviously, when he gets on campus and starts practicing in the spring things can change, but as it stands right now, he was brought in for depth and to give us a viable option if GS goes down
100% he has 4 years of eligibility. Essentially as another poster already said, this is our Recruit of the 22 class. He has the same amount of years to play as a true freshman next year.

Instead of getting a HS senior, we are getting a large bodied, older QB , who has spent 2 years training and learning from the Michigan coaches.

I LOVE this pickup, we need to create an identity that varies from the powerhouses. We can not compete with the top schools for the top QBs right now obviously. Instead lets have a niche QB every year who is an athlete. Hopefully they turn out to be solid passers (ala Dungey), and you have a QB who keeps defenses honest. We want to create a culture that people know when they play 'Cuse you are going to have to deal with a multi faceted QB who wants to run you over, but yet can kill you on a deep ball or two a game.

This has been a great offseason so far in terms up coach upgrades and player additions. Now time to get more.

This is the kind of QB we need to be bringing in every cycle. Big body, big arm, good athleticism, and grit. Every SU great at QB had these traits irregardless of offense.
The athleticism is a given. But his HS film he’s putting the ball in tight windows without much receiver separation. Typically HS guys are throwing to wide open WR’s, so I definitely like that.

It’s obviously a highlight tape, but there’s definitely some good stuff there prior to 2 years worth of work under Harbaugh.

Agree. There's no way we can determine how good he is or how fast he progresses but just like you said, he may be on the field at times. I can see a role for him or Lamson in certain sets.

Somebody is going to come in for a Taysom Hill package to change things up. Maybe this guy excels in that role.

Not real sure he beat out Alan Bowman. Neither played a down of meaningful football this year. Bowman ended up throwing 4 passes, Villari 3. So I don't think either particularly beat out the other.

I've had fairly high hopes that Morgan could put it together and become an adequate ACC level starter but if Villari comes in and already looks more promising during spring ball then I guess that hope is over with. I still get confused with the covid year stuff. Will Lamson, Morgan and Villari all be RS-FR next year?

If you go read Michigan newspaper articles you'll find some that say Vallari was 3rd string.

A great addition to our QB room!

04C40334-E0CF-4FAC-B893-41CD725177FC.jpeg

The athleticism is a given. But his HS film he’s putting the ball in tight windows without much receiver separation. Typically HS guys are throwing to wide open WR’s, so I definitely like that.

It’s obviously a highlight tape, but there’s definitely some good stuff there prior to 2 years worth of work under Harbaugh.
I'm with you. I never comment on highlight tapes, but when I watched this one, I was blown away. I thought, "Not only does he throw a great ball, but he can find just the right cracks while running and has excellent high end speed."
We know his hs passing yardage was not huge, but that may be a reflection that his state championship team could overpower the opponent without a lot of passing. Would love to know his completion %.
IMHO, Schraeder needs to up his game if he wants to continue as #1.

Well one thing he has that I like (beside his liberal use of the stiff arm) is college football playoff experience. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom