Class of 2020 - QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New OC and QB coach have something to work with...
2 dual threats and Lamson...all with size.
And an OLINE...And an AA RB.
hmmmm what's missing?...

TO THE PORTAL!!!!

Would love to see them pick up Trigg and a 6'2 195 lb 4.37 WR.

So strange how quickly we are to jump to conclusions on what a player is or isn't. All I know for sure is our QB coach has an outstanding record of developing QBs and getting some of them to the NFL. If he thinks this kid is better than what we have who am I to argue. I just want to have a successful program and I trust Beck and his QB evaluation.

Based on their track record whoever the new offensive staff brings in I am behind they have proven time and time again they know how to run a college offense at the highest level and even within the same conference.

Looking at highlights from both ill go out on a limb and say we got a good one.
Kid has a really strong arm and seems very accurate.
He throws a rocket with no effort. He has a chance to start.

Wait, you're the arbiter of nicknames AND recruiting credit? Am I missing any others? Can your schedule accommodate all these roles?
Yes, I am. Arbiter is a self-appointed role on the board. I've certainly graciously accepted additional arbitration appointments from myself and simply forgotten.

As for my schedule... have you ever seen my appointment book for seeing people in Hell?

I'm with you. I never comment on highlight tapes, but when I watched this one, I was blown away. I thought, "Not only does he throw a great ball, but he can find just the right cracks while running and has excellent high end speed."
We know his hs passing yardage was not huge, but that may be a reflection that his state championship team could overpower the opponent without a lot of passing. Would love to know his completion %.
IMHO, Schraeder needs to up his game if he wants to continue as #1.

Obligatory qualifier -- not a football coach who knows how to evaluate HS film.

But I had a similar reaction when Vallari popped onto SU's radar two years ago. The kid looks like an elite athlete, and he can throw it. I'm not comparing him to Dungey in terms of their skill set being identical, but in the sense that they both seemed similarly under-recruited.

Which seems supported by him ending up at Michigan, even though he didn't see the field much there. If Anae and Beck like him, that's good enough for me. I would expect him to be a future starter.

Not real sure he beat out Alan Bowman. Neither played a down of meaningful football this year. Bowman ended up throwing 4 passes, Villari 3. So I don't think either particularly beat out the other.

I've had fairly high hopes that Morgan could put it together and become an adequate ACC level starter but if Villari comes in and already looks more promising during spring ball then I guess that hope is over with. I still get confused with the covid year stuff. Will Lamson, Morgan and Villari all be RS-FR next year?
Fair point on bowman. My understanding (could be wrong) was Villari was first of bench in garbage time. And yes all three will technically be RS freshmen. With 4 season left to play 4. Tbh wouldn’t be surprised if staff took a flyer on a 22 qb still, understanding that at least 1 qb will want to transfer after spring ball.

Agreed but we don't know if he thinks this QB is better than what we have. All we know is we needed a 4th QB in the room and our staff offered this kid.

It is funny how quickly people jump to conclusions and people should look at the Georgia kid before jumping to conclusions. Predicting the QB position might be the hardest job in sports.
Given the fact that we were universally thrilled at the offensive hires, especially at QB coach, and given that this is their first QB recruit (I believe), I am metaphysically comfortable with the acquisition and don't even want to look any deeper into it.

With Hassan Hall also. And LOTS of other dudes.
I wish there were more P5 level players who come from near Syracuse.

Adding Joe Cruz and Villari to the roster should help us recruit Long Island. Andre Cisco played for a while at St Anthony's on Long Island as well.

Looks like there are some good players coming up in the next couple of years from that area that we will be well positioned to get. More on that soon, will be making posts on the best prospects in NYS for the classes of 2023, 2024 and 2025 shortly.

If I had a nickel for every kid that dreamed of going to SU but had to settle for Michigan, I'd have... a nickel. Now, apparently.
Lol!

My gut feeling….. this kid is the best QB on our team next year.

GS is more slippery, faster.

DV throws a MUCH better ball. Combined with solid scrambling ability and a big body.

He may not start, but he may become the starter. I just have a feeling…

And I really am a huge fan of Shraders gutsy play, but I just am worried about his arm at this level.

Let the best man win. I trust Beck more then any other coach in evaluating who our starting QB will be. Whoever he chooses will speak volumes.

he looks the best versus weak HS competition. time will tell. I still think Shrader starts

he looks the best versus weak HS competition. time will tell. I still think Shrader starts
Like most D1 athletes playing against weaker HS comp (exceptions would be FL/DMV/CA/TX in certain areas).

I really hope Shrader starts that means Beck says he is the best QB for us to win right now. That means he got better. Literally whoever starts from here on out with Beck speaks volumes. But, it is great to have a room filled with a QB who had to practice against Michigan's Defense on the daily.

In a perfect world Shredder gets better, plays for two more years with success and DV steps right up to finish his final two years as our starter and plays like the second coming of dungey. (or lamson?)

Either way this is exactly what we need. More competition.

But again - just a gut feeling ... DV is what makes sense at the cuse. A strong armed BIG KID, who can run. I think it cant be over stated how his size is so important. Devito was fast and could run, but think about how much better ED was with his stature and size.

We do not need to be concered about getting "NFL QBs" (yes that would be great), we need to get the EDs of the world who are winners at the college level. I hope DV/GS/Lamson proves they can be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom