Class of 2020 - QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20)

Steven Clark didn't live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, perhaps the most fertile D1 recruiting area in the entire country. McKinney is on the north side of Dallas, about 30 miles away, and has a population of nearly 200k people. The school was 5A district champs, and Brandon Frazier is a stud tight end with 20 plus scholarship offers from all over the country. He's probably going to Auburn and had offers from LSU, Alabama, and other top schools.

There is zero - ZERO - chance this kid didn't have the eyeballs of recruiters all over him. There is ZERO chance his high school coach is some glorified gym teacher who doesn't know or understand recruiting such that this guy is secretly a P-5 talent who has no offers because the coach and family do not know how to play the recruiting game. I live in Texas and I am familiar enough with the high school football scene to know that a 5A high school coach in the Metroplex understands recruiting.

I don't understand this board's reflexive and compulsive need to deny obvious reality. It is possible to hold multiple views in one's head at the same time.
IF THIS KID GOES TO SYRACUSE:
- I think we can all agree we want him to thrive - as a person and as a player.
- We can all agree that there are many talented kids who fall through the cracks, are late bloomers, or otherwise are under recruited.
- We can all agree that the number of high school QBs who put up video game numbers, but are not offered many D1 scholarships, is significantly higher than the number who "make it". I.E. there may be exceptions to the rule, but the general rule remains that if literally dozens of schools pass on a kid, it probably means the kid has been properly evaluated.

I don't think any of the above statements are controversial or, frankly, disputable by any reasonable mind. Given that, as fans of Syracuse football, we can hope for the best knowing that successful college (and NFL) QB's have come from similarly meager starting points (paucity of scholarship offers), while at the same time acknowledging the likelihood is that the majority of talent evaluators are correct and have concern about the fact that the program is essentially grasping at lottery tickets for QB recruiting.

The amount of sure thing QB recruits numbers in the tens.

We missed on our top guys this cycle. So yes, we’re scrambling a bit. I think it’s wise to trust our new QB/OC in this case.

Nothing wrong with that.

All the schools you listed also may wait until the last week to offer these kids so they don't alert FBS schools that may be snooping around like us...

You actually believe this or are you being facetious? Can't tell.

Two words, Eric Dungy; not saying that Dillion is Eric's equivalent; however both had limited offers before we offered. Since our OC likes him; I hope this visit goes well!

I know it makes the ED story more exciting if everyone writes that he was a nobody and came out of nowhere to be a great QB. So there must be tons of QB’s out there just like ED. It’s a false narrative. ED was at the camps and known QB. He was thought very highly of despite limited offers.

Steven Clark didn't live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, perhaps the most fertile D1 recruiting area in the entire country. McKinney is on the north side of Dallas, about 30 miles away, and has a population of nearly 200k people. The school was 5A district champs, and Brandon Frazier is a stud tight end with 20 plus scholarship offers from all over the country. He's probably going to Auburn and had offers from LSU, Alabama, and other top schools.

There is zero - ZERO - chance this kid didn't have the eyeballs of recruiters all over him. There is ZERO chance his high school coach is some glorified gym teacher who doesn't know or understand recruiting such that this guy is secretly a P-5 talent who has no offers because the coach and family do not know how to play the recruiting game. I live in Texas and I am familiar enough with the high school football scene to know that a 5A high school coach in the Metroplex understands recruiting.

I don't understand this board's reflexive and compulsive need to deny obvious reality. It is possible to hold multiple views in one's head at the same time.
- We can all agree that there are many talented kids who fall through the cracks, are late bloomers, or otherwise are under recruited.
- We can all agree that the number of high school QBs who put up video game numbers, but are not offered many D1 scholarships, is significantly higher than the number who "make it". I.E. there may be exceptions to the rule, but the general rule remains that if literally dozens of schools pass on a kid, it probably means the kid has been properly evaluated.

I don't think any of the above statements are controversial or, frankly, disputable by any reasonable mind. Given that, as fans of Syracuse football, we can hope for the best knowing that successful college (and NFL) QB's have come from similarly meager starting points (paucity of scholarship offers), while at the same time acknowledging the likelihood is that the majority of talent evaluators are correct and have concern about the fact that the program is essentially grasping at lottery tickets for QB recruiting.

Yet a guy like Aaron Rogers can live in Chico, CA and smash records and not get a sniff from D1 schools. Honestly he had eyeballs all over him too ... the fact is schools miss. We all know Roger's story so let's not rule out the possibility that sometimes for whatever reason teams miss on a kid it happens.

A reach but there was a long jumper from Oregon ignored by the PAC 12 who turned out ok.
yup...and exception to an overwhelming rule. Glad it worked out for us.

What's not to like. Get out the orange fountain pen for signing day and praise the lord. We have a keeper.

We always try and come up with some good reason a kid with big numbers and size doesn't have a lot of offers. Sometimes, it's just because he doesn't project well at the next level.

It's not like it's that far fetched either, he legit only started one season.

I think we all agree with this and we’re all asking the same question.

Last edited:
Look at the schools including SU that missed on our star bballer Hughes. It happens. Also i follow NDSU and the top teams in their division. There are a ton of players at multiple positions including QB that we would be thrilled to have. Heck Welch looked really good this year. If the coaches like this kid im all in.

Yet a guy like Aaron Rogers can live in Chico, CA and smash records and not get a sniff from D1 schools. Honestly he had eyeballs all over him too ... the fact is schools miss. We all know Roger's story so let's not rule out the possibility that sometimes for whatever reason teams miss on a kid it happens.
With respect, I think you are misinterpreting the point the OP is making. He is not ruling out the possibility. He is acknowledging this happens, while also being realistic about the probability of this happening.

I can not state it anymore eloquently than leftytg: "we can hope for the best knowing that successful college (and NFL) QB's have come from similarly meager starting points (paucity of scholarship offers), while at the same time acknowledging the likelihood is that the majority of talent evaluators are correct"

Makes me think of that HS coach that told his player, all you need is 1 offer from a good school ... kid could get 1 legit P5 offer from a school like SU, and in 2 weeks he's got a dozen more, maybe not quite this late in the game but that's usually how it seems to work.

The kid definitely sees the field well and has good placement / touch on intermediate and long throws. Seemed to also make nice throws on the move, although he seemed a little slow to me.

Would be interesting to see non-highlight footage, to see whether he always throws that consistently instead of just the successful passes.

I agree. I really like this film he has up. The throws on the run showed me that he has good hips. He adjusts and most times very well to make solid throws and on target while running. Nice hips indeed.

Also, I understand that the SFA fan poster was going off of family coaching in the area, but I seen several throws that took time to develop and he was spot on. Again, very limited views as it was a highlight reel, but it looked to me that he might have been reading(going through progressions) during those throws. If so, then you know this kid will be very teachable. And only one year as a starter then get to college and RS, plenty of time to learn how to read defenses.

I agree. I really like this film he has up. The throws on the run showed me that he has good hips. He adjusts and most times very well to make solid throws and on target while running. Nice hips indeed.

Also, I understand that the SFA fan poster was going off of family coaching in the area, but I seen several throws that took time to develop and he was spot on. Again, very limited views as it was a highlight reel, but it looked to me that he might have been reading(going through progressions) during those throws. If so, then you know this kid will be very teachable. And only one year as a starter then get to college and RS, plenty of time to learn how to read defenses.
Hips don't lie.

He looks like he has everything you look for in a QB. Size, strong arm, throwing touch, mobility and strength.

But it is really hard to evaluate QBs from highlight film. The mental part of the position is a huge differentiator. Can the QB recognize coverages? Can he make the reads needed? Can he make progressions to secondary receivers when the primary is covered? How well does he hang in there when he is making passes under severe pressure?

I trust Sterlin’s judgement in this area until it is proven he should not be trusted.

Players who no offers or almost no offers this late in the recruiting cycle are in a tough position. I would think schools will be reluctant to make firm offers to these players, unless the schools are P5 powers, because they are afraid the players will use their offer to get more, better offers.

The players must be getting pretty desperate this late too.

It becomes a dangerous dance.

Would not be surprised if Syracuse holds off on a formal offer until shortly before LOI day to protect itself, trying to avoid a Villeaux type situation. Unless they really trust the player. I would think it would be very hard to trust a player so far from home, who surely did not grow up dreaming to play for Syracuse. We already know his brother picked a nearby school in part to make it easy for the family to watch him play...

I know it makes the ED story more exciting if everyone writes that he was a nobody and came out of nowhere to be a great QB. So there must be tons of QB’s out there just like ED. It’s a false narrative. ED was at the camps and known QB. He was thought very highly of despite limited offers.
And yet not a single Pac team offered him, his choices came down to Harvard or SU. He was picked up extremely late in that years recruiting cycle. He was recruited to sit for his first year, yet due to injury was playing and our starter his freshman year. I fail to see how you think he was not overlooked by all the coaching experts out on the left coast.

The amount of sure thing QB recruits numbers in the tens.

We missed on our top guys this cycle. So yes, we’re scrambling a bit. I think it’s wise to trust our new QB/OC in this case.

Nothing wrong with that.
Technically we have missed our top guys the last two cycles. Much more than a scramble. I agree this guy has potential and next recruiting cycle we should be enjoying our QB haul if it goes how we would expect.