Class of 2020 - QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20)

Also something to take into consideration is that these massive texas stadiums are normally shared between 5 or more schools. So they are playing games Thursday through Saturday.
Not where my family went to school.

McLemore had just received an offer from ASU yesterday and now the crystal ball is starting to go towards them, getting a Pac 12 offer was probably the end of any chance we had with him. so, LOCK THIS KID DOWN!

How do we know he didn't have a McNeese St offer ?

Would say that in a very high majority of cases that when a kid receives an offer that it quickly becomes public knowledge via social media. I suppose it's possible but his brother has a listed offer from McNeese so you'd think that the twin brother would have it listed too if that was the case and not just SFA. Think we're all just going by whatever we can find since no one knew this kids name a day ago.

On Scout currently he is ranked a 3 star recruit at a 82 rating. He is ranked as the 74th best pro-style QB. He is 2 spots ahead of Macphail.

I don't remember seeing a rating for him previously, they must have just done that with him visiting us

Was reading the SFA board and saw this comment from a poster there

Have family who coaches in that district. He works in a super QB friendly offense. Air raid in the Mike Leach sense of the word. A lot of potential because of his size and arm strength but as is always the problem in air raid offenses, the QB doesn't read defenses. The QB in our offense needs to be able to make reads.

So probably a good get IF he commits. But gonna take work to teach him to read defenses in a much more complex offense.

The posters at the Texas St site thought he was a PWO option.

QB with question marks still there (I can't see us just hoping McBride is the guy) and not bringing in another seems strange; could PWO Dillon and/or another QB option (again, may be hard to find a better option than Dillon Markiewicz) with many top QBs already signing

I haven't heard anyone (Austin, from our coaches, or even Keff) confirm Dillon Markiewicz has committed to be a PWO and while I'm sure they'd love to play together its not as if they are like Josh and John with their story with their mom that passed. I'm sure Dillon will keep his options open until signing day in Feb. and in the end... we could still recruit him and sign him.

Maybe he didn't go to camps?
I went through his other twitter account and he did go to a few camps. East Texas Baptist, OK St and was invited to the Elite 11 Regional. But to your point it doesn't look like he attended many camps.

And this happens. Look at Steven Clark in Alabama. If the parents don't have an idea about recruiting and the HS coach doesn't instruct the kid what they need to do to get recruited they can get overlooked.

The demand is what's perverse. And I admit that I'm a hypocrite. But we digress.

Demand is perverse? Wut? lol. Yes, we are digressing. Back to our normal recruit programming.

Ours does. 8, soon to be 9 High Schools with enrollments over 3K each sharing 2 stadiums, 1 which is only 3 years old, holds 10K, humongous screen, cost $70M. LOL

Wouldn’t shock me if there were some state schools looking at him as a PWO option. The kid clearly is talented. Just hard to imagine him not being a take for sun belt/CUSA programs.

Well, the several stadium projects that I have work on (El Paso, Katy, other houston areas)...are all school district stadiums. KISD (Katy Independent school district) for example.

I am sure that isnt for everyone

Like what I see from this kid on tape but sad that the CUSE has to scrape for a talented QB this late in the process. This is now two years in the row that we missed out on all our targets and hoping OC Gilbert can change this bad karma.

Like what I see from this kid on tape but sad that the CUSE has to scrape for a talented QB this late in the process. This is now two years in the row that we missed out on all our targets and hoping OC Gilbert can change this bad karma.

Gilbert has credibility as a QB coach(and OC) unlike Martin so I believe things will indeed change for the better, hopefully starting with this kid

My guess would be he only started one season.
We always try and come up with some good reason a kid with big numbers and size doesn't have a lot of offers. Sometimes, it's just because he doesn't project well at the next level.

True, but QB is a little different in that there are only a limited number of scholly's available for the position, and with the way recruits are evaluated, it's possible the Texas State's, North Texas's, SMU's, Lamar's, etc. already had committments before this kid was even evaluated. I tend to feel the same way you do though.

Edit: None of SMU, Texas State, North Texas, Houston, or UTEP have QB commits yet.
All the schools you listed also may wait until the last week to offer these kids so they don't alert FBS schools that may be snooping around like us...

I went through his other twitter account and he did go to a few camps. East Texas Baptist, OK St and was invited to the Elite 11 Regional. But to your point it doesn't look like he attended many camps.

And this happens. Look at Steven Clark in Alabama. If the parents don't have an idea about recruiting and the HS coach doesn't instruct the kid what they need to do to get recruited they can get overlooked.
Steven Clark didn't live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, perhaps the most fertile D1 recruiting area in the entire country. McKinney is on the north side of Dallas, about 30 miles away, and has a population of nearly 200k people. The school was 5A district champs, and Brandon Frazier is a stud tight end with 20 plus scholarship offers from all over the country. He's probably going to Auburn and had offers from LSU, Alabama, and other top schools.

There is zero - ZERO - chance this kid didn't have the eyeballs of recruiters all over him. There is ZERO chance his high school coach is some glorified gym teacher who doesn't know or understand recruiting such that this guy is secretly a P-5 talent who has no offers because the coach and family do not know how to play the recruiting game. I live in Texas and I am familiar enough with the high school football scene to know that a 5A high school coach in the Metroplex understands recruiting.

I don't understand this board's reflexive and compulsive need to deny obvious reality. It is possible to hold multiple views in one's head at the same time.
IF THIS KID GOES TO SYRACUSE:
- I think we can all agree we want him to thrive - as a person and as a player.
- We can all agree that there are many talented kids who fall through the cracks, are late bloomers, or otherwise are under recruited.
- We can all agree that the number of high school QBs who put up video game numbers, but are not offered many D1 scholarships, is significantly higher than the number who "make it". I.E. there may be exceptions to the rule, but the general rule remains that if literally dozens of schools pass on a kid, it probably means the kid has been properly evaluated.

I don't think any of the above statements are controversial or, frankly, disputable by any reasonable mind. Given that, as fans of Syracuse football, we can hope for the best knowing that successful college (and NFL) QB's have come from similarly meager starting points (paucity of scholarship offers), while at the same time acknowledging the likelihood is that the majority of talent evaluators are correct and have concern about the fact that the program is essentially grasping at lottery tickets for QB recruiting.

Steven Clark didn't live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, perhaps the most fertile D1 recruiting area in the entire country. McKinney is on the north side of Dallas, about 30 miles away, and has a population of nearly 200k people. The school was 5A district champs, and Brandon Frazier is a stud tight end with 20 plus scholarship offers from all over the country. He's probably going to Auburn and had offers from LSU, Alabama, and other top schools.

There is zero - ZERO - chance this kid didn't have the eyeballs of recruiters all over him. There is ZERO chance his high school coach is some glorified gym teacher who doesn't know or understand recruiting such that this guy is secretly a P-5 talent who has no offers because the coach and family do not know how to play the recruiting game. I live in Texas and I am familiar enough with the high school football scene to know that a 5A high school coach in the Metroplex understands recruiting.

I don't understand this board's reflexive and compulsive need to deny obvious reality. It is possible to hold multiple views in one's head at the same time.
- We can all agree that there are many talented kids who fall through the cracks, are late bloomers, or otherwise are under recruited.
- We can all agree that the number of high school QBs who put up video game numbers, but are not offered many D1 scholarships, is significantly higher than the number who "make it". I.E. there may be exceptions to the rule, but the general rule remains that if literally dozens of schools pass on a kid, it probably means the kid has been properly evaluated.

I don't think any of the above statements are controversial or, frankly, disputable by any reasonable mind. Given that, as fans of Syracuse football, we can hope for the best knowing that successful college (and NFL) QB's have come from similarly meager starting points (paucity of scholarship offers), while at the same time acknowledging the likelihood is that the majority of talent evaluators are correct and have concern about the fact that the program is essentially grasping at lottery tickets for QB recruiting.

Here’s some obvious reality. For whatever reason SU hasn’t landed a commitment this cycle from a consensus well regarded QB and this kid seems to have measurables and production from a state that might warrant SU taking a flyier. If the issue is he’s a “system” qb in HS, that’s insane

Really good post leftytg There is nothing wrong with acknowledging all the points you made and then going ahead and buying the lottery ticket, especially at this stage of the recruiting cycle.