Class of 2017 - QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin

Wow what a difference 4 months makes. I made this post right after the LSU game. How things have changed since then.

I played ball in that neck of the woods in the mid to late 90s in the same conference with guys such as Marlon Greenwood, Brandon Moore (Rob's kid brother- beast of a RB/LB who played in the NFL) , a kid who played RB at Wisco who's name escapes me, and later Clifton Smith and D'Brick so LI football is special to me. My team's best players wound up at Maine, Townson, and King's Point. My personal view has never changed. Big population downstate and LI football is generally better than NYC's. My HS team sent 2 OLineman in the last 12 or so years to Penn St and BC; one played in the NFL for a bunch of years. There's a little bit of talent down there. Should be inexpensive recruiting and the chance to sell your home state's football team. I'll never (unless extenuating circumstances like family) understand a kid from LI choosing a Rutgers over a Syracuse. Partly because of the public vs private experience.

This kid is way ahead of the curve for his age. Mechanics are a little loose, but, those can be tightened up quickly. The way he steps into the pocket and delivers the ball now is pretty amazing for a kid his age. A better athlete than you'd originally anticipate. I love this kid.

We'll definitely be in the mix here. This is the kid we need to get NY State excited in our program and get the dominoes falling.

I agree this is one of those pieces Babers was talking about. Not just getting NY/NJ kids because they are from there but ones that will actually see the field and have an impact that the local fan base can get behind. This is an important recruit for us for those reasons. If we get him and he and the program has success it can open up the flood gates for the NY recruiting.

We'll definitely be in the mix here. This is the kid we need to get NY State excited in our program and get the dominoes falling.

I know we all want the big NY kid and I'm not too familiar with his game but I feel like we want to go in a different direction for the QB position

I know we all want the big NY kid and I'm not too familiar with his game but I feel like we want to go in a different direction for the QB position
Why because we don't want talent that's instate or we have no shot at him. Either way that has to change.

I agree this is one of those pieces Babers was talking about. Not just getting NY/NJ kids because they are from there but ones that will actually see the field and have an impact that the local fan base can get behind. This is an important recruit for us for those reasons. If we get him and he and the program has success it can open up the flood gates for the NY recruiting.
In state talent has always been the lifeblood of top programs. When we started to lose NYS kid is when many in our fanbase tried to convince others that it doesn't matter. It also is a huge cost benefit to the bottom line of recruiting. Starting local then fanning out from there just makes sense on many levels. 60-70% of our recruits should be from the northeast and mid atlantic states. A few from Florida then a few others scattered from other areas. It just makes sense.

Thats why we have to do everything we can to get 4* and 5* recruits here so we can play for the N.C.

Why because we don't want talent that's instate or we have no shot at him. Either way that has to change.

nothing to do with talent or ability to land/close. I'm talking about matching skill sets to offensive play calling. All services have him as a prostyle and the film I've seen hes mostly in the pocket.

Capt. Tuttle said:
NY state will never be excited about SU FB. Most of the state are pro FB fans.

Disagree. The last time we tested that was 20 years ago. Let's see what happens when we start dropping 40-50 pts on ranked teams.

Ky Je said:
nothing to do with talent or ability to land/close. I'm talking about matching skill sets to offensive play calling. All services have him as a prostyle and the film I've seen hes mostly in the pocket.

Pro style arm will work just fine in this system. He's athletic enough to be a better runner than BGSU's fat pirate QB last year.

This is my old stomping grounds. Sayville is a very strong program with great coaches. This is a NY recruit that can go a long way legitimizing the program's power in NY

In state talent has always been the lifeblood of top programs. When we started to lose NYS kid is when many in our fanbase tried to convince others that it doesn't matter. It also is a huge cost benefit to the bottom line of recruiting. Starting local then fanning out from there just makes sense on many levels. 60-70% of our recruits should be from the northeast and mid atlantic states. A few from Florida then a few others scattered from other areas. It just makes sense.

Sure, 15 years ago it made sense to focus on talent in state. Now, not so much. You're not going to win too many games at the college level filling your roster with NYS kids.

This system doesn't want dual threat guys. It wants pro style kids with big arms. Just because we're running a spread doesn't mean a pro style QB doesn't fit.

This kid fits what we're trying to do perfectly.

This system doesn't want dual threat guys. It wants pro style kids with big arms. Just because we're running a spread doesn't mean a pro style QB doesn't fit.

This kid fits what we're trying to do perfectly.

Exactly. Last year BG had a QB with a beer gut and they threw for 5,000(!) yards. RGIII was the outlier.

Sure, 15 years ago it made sense to focus on talent in state. Now, not so much. You're not going to win too many games at the college level filling your roster with NYS kids.
Nobody said anything about filling out a roster with NY-only talent. There are always 5-10 kids produced in NY every year that could be contributors and the occasional blue chipper that could really help us. Surrendering that local talent to our competitors makes literally zero sense.

Did we travel back in time to 1997 when I wasn't looking? We're looking strictly for triple option quarterbacks again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom