Class of 2019 - QB Joey Yellen (CA) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Joey Yellen (CA)

The last 11 years we're 2-9 against them with an avg score of 33-22. so...then I guess.

I wouldn't call that dominant - but it's def not good. I tend to equate dominance with how FSU and Clemson manhandled the Shafer led teams.

But it's fine. Either way, we need to start beating them

Right. If the end is result is we always lose, who cares what the score is. We get dominated in the result.

Well, the score/stats are indicative of how far off we are. Sure, ultimately winning is the goal - but context tells us that they have gotten the better of us in decently close games.

Clemson beat OSU two years in a row in the playoffs. One game was a final possession game the other OSU didn't score. By your definition Clemson has been dominant against OSU. I'd say they were in one game and then squeaked one out.

Well, the score/stats are indicative of how far off we are. Sure, ultimately winning is the goal - but context tells us that they have gotten the better of us in decently close games.

Clemson beat OSU two years in a row in the playoffs. One game was a final possession game the other OSU didn't score. By your definition Clemson has been dominant against OSU. I'd say they were in one game and then squeaked one out.
If we beat a team regularly but the scores were always close, I would say that we were dominant over that team.

Last year (this year) was really thin unfortunately and the QBs were all but committed and picked over by last May/June and most were committed far earlier than that. I remember it's not something I'd seen before in terms of how early they'd all committed.

In my own opinion the quality #s were way down from the mid-atlantic/ up through the northeast and that really hurts a school like us and it doesn't change for 2021. Some of these kids to (imo) are over rated but that's TBD I guess. We should be able to over come geography if we are a QB offense with good Offensive/QB coaches. I'm not banging on Martin but we don't have QB coach with a known reputation who can overcome geography and recruiting competition. This is where we miss Lewis.

Nevertheless, I think where we failed was in getting out in front early. Learning from that mistake if we don't have at least 10 top 2021 QBs already identified and heavily recruiting them then we've already lost but we're in trouble as is again because of geography.

2021 QBs.

Pro-Style
*10 of the top 20 pro-styles are already committed.
*Only two are from our corridor - DC to Maine and 1 of them is already committed to Ohio State. The other is Veilleux
*#25 is a kid from Christ the King in NYC. Noah Bodden 6-4 215 (has a bunch of offers)
*#27 is from Paramus, NJ. Dorian Nowell 6-2 220. Reported to have a Syracuse offer
*#46 is from Chesire, CT Jack Brandon 6-3 190 (and reportedly has 1 offer from Ohio State. They already have a 2021 committment.)

Dual Threat
*#1 is from Gonzaga, DC - Caleb Williams 6-1 210. Elite. (Lets hope he goes to Penn State)
*of the top 13 dual threat QBs, 7 of them are from Texas. Wow. Talk about an embarrassment of riches
#15 is from St Peters Prep, NJ - Tahj Bullock 6-3 206 No offers
*only 7 of the top 30 committed.

That's about it. It's scary and the geography isn't going to do us any favors again this year. We're going to have to go national and that's worrisome. But the good news is, the lack of early commitments at this stage.
Casting to narrow a net it's crushing to strike out. Casting to wide a net you might bring in a dud or then again you might not.

FYI - Malik Hornsby has been getting some nice reviews at the All-American bowl practices. He's still available. 2-4-7 folks love Evan Prater from Ohio. We offered, he signed with Cincy.

Last edited:

oh...your'e a moral victory person

I'd rather bring in one grad transfer and one 2020 kid this year, and try for a big fish in 2021. Bringing in a kid with 2/3 years eligibility, when Tommy still has this year and next doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Probably doesn't make a ton of sense to kids in the portal - they aren't going to sit and wait more than a year ... e.g, Jackson, Adams. I don't think we even offered Yellen, but regardless, he and other QB's can see that TD's locked in for 2 more years. That's just not an attractive opportunity for the portal these days.

Last edited:
If you strip out the actual games, scores, and stats and just look at W/L I can see how you might come to that conclusion. I wouldn’t call that stretch dominant
Can we do that against IU in '87. Pretty sure we dominated, other than the score.

Seems like many posters haven't accepted that we're in a different recruiting era now ... with the portal operating like de facto free agency. Kids aren't going to sit and wait ... which is how we got Jackson, Adams and Howard. I don't think we even offered Yellen, but regardless, he and other QB's can see that TD's locked in for 2 more years. That's just not an attractive opportunity for the portal these days.
TD is not locked in period. His play is one thing but one sack can put him out for the season if not career.

The deep seeded mutual hate between CA and TX got the best of us here. Any other CA QB's you guys are holding out hope for...you can just let that dream die right now. Ain't happening.
giphy (3).gif

Probably doesn't make a ton of sense to kids in the portal - they aren't going to sit and wait ... which is how we got Jackson, Adams and Howard. I don't think we even offered Yellen, but regardless, he and other QB's can see that TD's locked in for 2 more years. That's just not an attractive opportunity for the portal these days.
ummm...Jackson and Adams did wait...a full season (bowl game excluded)

ummm...Jackson and Adams did wait...a full season (bowl game excluded)
True. Some might wait a year, which is normally the rule. Others figure out a by-pass (Jr. College like Fortin). But either way, there's not a lot of patience in the portal ... they want to play, and I think that's the impediment in this situation with TD being the presumptive starter.

True. Some might wait a year, which is normally the rule. Others figure out a by-pass (Jr. College like Fortin). But either way, there's not a lot of patience in the portal ... they want to play, and I think that's the impediment in this situation with TD being the presumptive starter.
If they really want immediate playing time, and are coming from an FBS school, they will transfer to an FCS.

Or they get a waiver, or enroll at a JUCO temporarily - like Fortin did. I agree that most (non-waiver) FBS transfers will have to sit a year. The problem is ... TD has 2 years remaining. So I would think after this next season we would provide more opportunity for an FBS transfer. That doesn't prevent the staff from going after an FCS transfer right away or waiting for a G-T who would step in after TD's eligibility expires.
I'm not sure many P5's would take FCS transfers, more likely the other way around, FBS to FCS. And the issue is how many of the kids in the portal are willing to sit a year. Not seeing the field is probably the main reason most are transferring in the first place.

Or they get a waiver, or enroll at a JUCO temporarily - like Fortin did. I agree that most (non-waiver) FBS transfers will have to sit a year. The problem is ... TD has 2 years remaining. So I would think after this next season we would provide more opportunity for an FBS transfer who would sit during TD's final year and then be eligible. So if the staff is looking for a backup they could go after an FCS/JUCO transfer.
I don't disagree with your premise but...I don't think TD's performance/potential scares off any legitimate QB's.

IMO, Dino's offensive system is much more of a deterrent than any current roster member.

I'm not sure many P5's would take FCS transfers, more likely the other way around, FBS to FCS. And the issue is how many of the kids in the portal are willing to sit a year. Not seeing the field is probably the main reason most are transferring in the first place.
Agree, that's the point of my post. They don't want to wait and TD has 2 years.

Agree, that's the point of my post. They don't want to wait and TD has 2 years.
Yes. Unless you get a kid with a situation like Fortin it makes more sense to bring in a HS kid.

I don't disagree with your premise but...I don't think TD's performance/potential scares off any legitimate QB's.

IMO, Dino's offensive system is much more of a deterrent than any current roster member.
TD was chosen as Dino's QB when he signed, even when he struggled this year Welsh didn't go in. If TD hadn't been hurt in practice the week of Wake we wouldn't have see Welsh. Dino is to blame for no QB coming here.

Probably doesn't make a ton of sense to kids in the portal - they aren't going to sit and wait more than a year ... g.e., Jackson, Adams and Howard. I don't think we even offered Yellen, but regardless, he and other QB's can see that TD's locked in for 2 more years. That's just not an attractive opportunity for the portal these days.

He's 4 to play 3 with a sit out transfer year up front. He'll be eligible as a RS Soph. when TD would be a senior or maybe gone as a grad transfer.

Great opportunity was definitely there for the player and the need is there for this program.

No idea why this staff can't attract a high level talent into this situation. Imo, lack of opportunity can't be the answer though.

Probably doesn't make a ton of sense to kids in the portal - they aren't going to sit and wait more than a year ... g.e., Jackson, Adams and Howard. I don't think we even offered Yellen, but regardless, he and other QB's can see that TD's locked in for 2 more years. That's just not an attractive opportunity for the portal these days.
If we don't pull in a top QB within 2 years I'm sure HCDB won't be around to run this team. Guarantee TD the starter was HCDB biggest mistake.

TD was chosen as Dino's QB when he signed, even when he struggled this year Welsh didn't go in. If TD hadn't been hurt in practice the week of Wake we wouldn't have see Welsh. Dino is to blame for no QB coming here.

lol. No - he was an elite 11 4* who came in and won two games for and almost supplanted the 4 year starter

he’s good is the reason

lol. No - he was an elite 11 4* who came in and won two games for and almost supplanted the 4 year starter

he’s good is the reason

Stop. He didn’t almost supplant Dungey. Dungey was hurt and that’s the only reason he got into games. You only get credited for “supplanted” the current QB if you get in the game because it’s believed you’re the better QB, NOT b/c the other guy was hurt. TD had a chance to show how good he is this year and lead the team and showed he’s nowhere near the player, at least yet, Dungey was. Dungey gets us to a bowl game this year.