Class of 2019 - QB Joey Yellen (CA) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Joey Yellen (CA)

since this has become the default QB recruiting thread I'd lean toward bringing in a young transfer who has to sit out a year and then has 2 or 3 years of eligibility. TD will be a junior this year obviously.

Stop. He didn’t almost supplant Dungey. Dungey was hurt and that’s the only reason he got into games. You only get credited for “supplanted” the current QB if you get in the game because it’s believed you’re the better QB, NOT b/c the other guy was hurt. TD had a chance to show how good he is this year and lead the team and showed he’s nowhere near the player, at least yet, Dungey was. Dungey gets us to a bowl game this year.
He listened too much to the "Parent Whisperer".

since this has become the default QB recruiting thread I'd lean toward bringing in a young transfer who has to sit out a year and then has 2 or 3 years of eligibility. TD will be a junior this year obviously.
No. There is a QB's still in Play thread.

lol. No - he was an elite 11 4* who came in and won two games for and almost supplanted the 4 year starter

he’s good is the reason
good at begin inconsistent. 4* when he is good 2* when inconsistent

Probably doesn't make a ton of sense to kids in the portal - they aren't going to sit and wait more than a year ... e.g, Jackson, Adams and Howard. I don't think we even offered Yellen, but regardless, he and other QB's can see that TD's locked in for 2 more years. That's just not an attractive opportunity for the portal these days.

Howard is in the portal?

Howard is in the portal?
They transferred in ... and thus (without waivers or JUCO stints) were willing to wait a year. But I think that's the ceiling for portals looking for playing time, especially QB's.

They transferred in ... and thus (without waivers or JUCO stints) were willing to wait a year. But I think that's the ceiling for portals looking for playing time, especially QB's.

I guess I’m in basketball mode. Who’s Howard?

Is he thinking of Jarveon Howard?

He's a sophomore. He never transferred here.
Jarveon was my first thought but I knew that he never transferred. I had to check to make sure that he hadn’t recently put his name in the transfer portal.

good at begin inconsistent. 4* when he is good 2* when inconsistent

I guess I’ll need you to explain how some transfer who isn’t playing with their current team or a hs senior who hasn’t taken a snap thinks they might supplant the 4-6th (depending on the stats) best QB in the ACC? While being in year 1 and a really awful OL?

He put up a top 5 year here in the last 20 years, and it was marked with a billion sacks, injury, and the aforementioned OL issues. He’s right there with Nassib and Dungey.

People act like he’s a Rutgers kid and other QBs will just waltz in here and take the job. If it’s a question, grad transfers are out. HS kids that are good enough to impress the staff don’t want to sit for two years.

Last year (this year) was really thin unfortunately and the QBs were all but committed and picked over by last May/June and most were committed far earlier than that. I remember it's not something I'd seen before in terms of how early they'd all committed.

In my own opinion the quality #s were way down from the mid-atlantic/ up through the northeast and that really hurts a school like us and it doesn't change for 2021. Some of these kids to (imo) are over rated but that's TBD I guess. We should be able to over come geography if we are a QB offense with good Offensive/QB coaches. I'm not banging on Martin but we don't have QB coach with a known reputation who can overcome geography and recruiting competition. This is where we miss Lewis.

Nevertheless, I think where we failed was in getting out in front early. Learning from that mistake if we don't have at least 10 top 2021 QBs already identified and heavily recruiting them then we've already lost but we're in trouble as is again because of geography.

2021 QBs.

Pro-Style
*10 of the top 20 pro-styles are already committed.
*Only two are from our corridor - DC to Maine and 1 of them is already committed to Ohio State. The other is Veilleux
*#25 is a kid from Christ the King in NYC. Noah Bodden 6-4 215 (has a bunch of offers)
*#27 is from Paramus, NJ. Dorian Nowell 6-2 220. Reported to have a Syracuse offer
*#46 is from Chesire, CT Jack Brandon 6-3 190 (and reportedly has 1 offer from Ohio State. They already have a 2021 committment.)

Dual Threat
*#1 is from Gonzaga, DC - Caleb Williams 6-1 210. Elite. (Lets hope he goes to Penn State)
*of the top 13 dual threat QBs, 7 of them are from Texas. Wow. Talk about an embarrassment of riches
#15 is from St Peters Prep, NJ - Tahj Bullock 6-3 206 No offers
*only 7 of the top 30 committed.

That's about it. It's scary and the geography isn't going to do us any favors again this year. We're going to have to go national and that's worrisome. But the good news is, the lack of early commitments at this stage.
Casting to narrow a net it's crushing to strike out. Casting to wide a net you might bring in a dud or then again you might not.

FYI - Malik Hornsby has been getting some nice reviews at the All-American bowl practices. He's still available. 2-4-7 folks love Evan Prater from Ohio. We offered, he signed with Cincy.

man would I love us to get Hornsby

Is he thinking of Jarveon Howard?

He's a sophomore. He never transferred here.
My mistake, better examples are adams and Jackson. But it doesn't change the point of #'s 133, 139 and #143. Obviously the transfer market has heated up with the rule changes in 2018, especially at QB.

Last edited:
man would I love us to get Hornsby

no shot at all. I live in TX and consensus is that he is heading to Baylor.

Ruhle just left. Get someone down there.

Kid is electric, but throwing is not his specialty. Not sure that Dino would really be into his skillset.