QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

He gave us zero seasons competing for the QB job. Being injured doesn't really count he wasn't an option last year and spring is just practice.

If you want to estimate his chances at meaningful PT next year (without having a clue how good he actually is) it has to be around 70-80% Garrett had serious shoulder surgery and is susceptible to high ankle sprains. CDRW missed a lot of throws albeit against tough competition. Where the hell is he going to find a better shot at playing next year than here? We didn't recruit a QB this class. Ridiculous decision I don't wish him any ill will off the field but come on.
Yeah I dont know why he left but I do know the staff was surprised by this as well.

I don’t even care other than the depth issue. It’s not like he played 3 games last year and was lights out and “the future”.

I have no idea what we lost other than a guy that’s been hurt, knows the system, and added depth. If we weren’t SU and always struggling with depth, nobody would give a…..

I choose to believe he's decided he has to play closer to home, and that's really all it is.

It is the only thing that would make sense. We will see if he ends up at Cal, Fresno State, San Jose State, Stanford, or Nevada. Those are the "close" schools to his home town.

If that is the way he feels, then goodbye.
He missed an entire year, and hasn't played a single game snap. Garrett when fully healthy has won games for SU.
They isn't any reason for an open competition at this point.

Well, it's always an open competition. Even if you run with the first team, you have to produce or that's only temporary.

So, I posted this in the Peach Bowl charity golf thread, Rick Neuheisel stated on Full Ride this morning that Babers stated he recently "lost his Backup QB" to the portal and strongly insinuated it was due to NIL. Take that for what you believe it's worth.
Babers could have been referring to TD

So, I posted this in the Peach Bowl charity golf thread, Rick Neuheisel stated on Full Ride this morning that Babers stated he recently "lost his Backup QB" to the portal and strongly insinuated it was due to NIL. Take that for what you believe it's worth.
I have been thinking this is the most logical explanation.
Lamson has a lot of good buzz around him. He has 2 really good spring games and he’s gonna come cheap NIL-wise.

We shouldn’t fool ourselves into thinking somebody wouldn’t pay him. A lot of schools have too much money so why not get a quality back up in your room?

Lamson has a lot of good buzz around him. He has 2 really good spring games and he’s gonna come cheap NIL-wise.

We shouldn’t fool ourselves into thinking somebody wouldn’t pay him. A lot of schools have too much money so why not get a quality back up in your room?
I think we love Syracuse football to talk about someone who was just as likely the third-string QB as much as we are.

We did not lose that much to the portal post spring ball in the scheme of things.

This, I think he was always planning to transfer but needed that spring game tape post injury to have anything at all to market.

I honestly think he was QB3. Could he have passed CDRW over the next year and spring? Maybe, but CDRW is a way better fit for this offense and was always likely ahead. Decision making was probably the only think Lamson actually had over CDRW. This hurts for depth, but I really don’t think this is us losing the QB of the future. Sellers remains the only loss that really hurt this year.
Boy I am glad you are not our QB coach.

We can say that, but that doesn't mean we didn't lose a guy that provided needed depth, if Dino did actually say he was the back up, and was a potential starter next year. We can certainly spin it that we don't people that don't want to be here, but that doesn't mean it isn't a loss.

Edit. I agree he shouldn't have expected an open competition. That's a ludricous expectation if he had it.
Can't remember if it was Coach Mac, Coach P, or both, but the coach's rule was that a player didn't lose his position while injured. By that rule, Shrader's starting job is secure until he can compete.

Can't remember if it was Coach Mac, Coach P, or both, but the coach's rule was that a player didn't lose his position while injured. By that rule, Shrader's starting job is secure until he can compete.
I'm not sure a prior coach's rule matters, but really his job was secure by what he did on the field unless some young guy turned out to be transcendent. I doubt Lamson fits that description. It still hurts losing a guy that all the insiders say the coaches liked and would've competed for a starting job in 2024.

What buzz?

At the end of the day, a backup QB is gone. The immediate loss is not great, the potential and future loss is the concern.

I saw more potential in Lamson than other QB’s, including CDRW. But, he’s not here any longer. CDRW is, and that’s about it.

Need more bodies before August. At least 2 IMO.

We can paint anyway we want but the kid looked good in the only two opportunities we as fans had to see him. I had an opportunity to talk with him and he said he loved SU. Went in depth about it.
Something happened that caused him to leave and i seriously doubt it had anything to do with Shrader being number 1.
He might have wanted assurance that he would start next year which im sure Dino and Beck didn't and shouldn't have given. At that point maybe the uncertainty forced him to look elsewhere.
Maybe he misses the west coast. Maybe some team reached out to his hs coach. There could be a million reasons. Regardless by the limited times i saw him play and my conversation with him we are losing a good QB and a really nice kid.

The kid was going into, what, his 3rd year at SU? The failure was not in losing Lamson to the Portal; it was losing Norris to SC, and not getting a good frosh qb on the roster, one more willing to be a backup for the immediate future.

He’s also rated pretty well compared with other QBs in the portal for what that’s worth.

I saw an ex Cuse player post on social media that Lamson left because he was not being given a shot to compete for QB1. He (the former player) said that all positions should be open battles. While that sounds good in theory, I doubt Babers is telling Marlowe and Caleb that their jobs are in jeopardy if they don't earn them.
Lamson’s not as good as Garrett, we were 6-0 last year before Garrett got dinged up. If Lamson is me over team, he can hit the road. Its obvious that the backups gonna get snaps with Cuse. Happens every year. I have no reason to think he was positioned over CDRW either.

No big school is going to say come here and you are the starter this yr or the next with a straight face.

But if getting close to home is a thing then thats what he needs to do. It might not be the best for his FB success but maybe it helps him in other ways.

the portal allows kids to act on impulse now vs repercussions of sitting a year.

it's such a stupid thing college sports has allowed. you make a commitment to a school with a scholarship you should have to sign a promissory note that you will repay if you leave to play at another school. let the other school buy you out and repay it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom