Class of 2023 - QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina | Page 86 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina

Sellers did nothing wrong at all. Disappointed, but he maximized his options 100% to the degree of which the game is played.

I honestly think he could still take the field for us at some point in 2025 or 2026.
Hope not.

And I disagree. He could have let Beck know sooner. Not one part of me believes it took until Wednesday to make up his mind.

His comments and actions during the flip were a bit trashy too but oh well, he’s an immature kid.

We have a higher rated prospect at QB2 and a proven starter

What’s they’re to be so excited about? Next year we have an extremely difficult schedule with UNC, at FSU, and Clemson. Since we lost Marrone because he was lied to and we didn’t deliver what was promised we have had 3 winning seasons in 10 years including a win 1 year and 6-20 in Nov (3 wins in 2018) under Babers. Consistently the worst recruiting classes in the acc and name 3 WR’s, OL, and QB’s that Baber’s brought in and developed.

Not meaning you, but everybody that plays it so cool that it’s no big deal and we’ll be just fine. Since Marrone left we’ve had 3 winning seasons in 10 years. 6,7, and 9 wins. It all relates to recruiting. Sorry I just don’t see the optimism and to see the fanbase just so numb to losing and expecting to lose recruits shows just how numb and apathetic everybody is to it. I’ve brought up recruiting concerns with basketball and football. The replies we’re typically everything is fine etc. etc. I’m just sick of losing . Usually basketball would be some what of a cure but they are in a worst spot than the football program.

I know a lot of you think the same, but just won’t say it. I have always called it like it is. I was overly positive when we were 6-0 when most were just acceptant of making a mid-tier bowl. I always call it how I see it and if I don’t get likes for being the better man than it is what it is.

Your take on marrone leaving is wrong.

Hope not.

And I disagree. He could have let Beck know sooner. Not one part of me believes it took until Wednesday to make up his mind.

His comments and actions during the flip were a bit trashy too but oh well, he’s an immature kid.

We have a higher rated prospect at QB2 and a proven starter
What if he hadn't made up his mind yet?

Sellers made a moral mistake - he should have declared uncommitted after Beck left UVA. Moral mistakes are hard to recover from.

He chose not to declare uncommitted to entice other offers - he took ours at our expense.

There is no way that a Syracuse offer was going to trump an SC offer. The SC offer was going to happen - it was just a matter of when.

If you play cards its obvious - don't show your hand if you are trying to win. Syracuse laid its cards down for all to see - like they were trying to lose.

Silver lining is that the guys in the QB room saw this coming and this makes Lamson and DRW more comfortable - which is nice. Our QB room is solid and our starter is the man!
This is… something. Like I’m not sure if you just don’t understand recruiting or you think some 18 year old kids decision to flip commitments is a personal slight but you need to chill the f out.

I'm sure this has already been said. Please excuse me if I don't go searching all 86 pages for it,

But, if Greg Paulus had a last minute change of heart, with his hometown pulling at his heartstrings, and he told Duke, "Sorry, I have to play for Syracuse," we'd be building a statue to this young man of character.

So...bowl game wins don't count? Oversite or intentional? Strange way to validate your point.
Making bowl games consistently will count, but not once every 5 years. As far as bowl game wins I don’t think it matters as much as it used to since most of the guaranteed NFL draft picks won’t play in low or mid-tier bowl games and by then at least a handful of good players will have hit the portal.

I don’t understand how my point hasn’t been validated?

I think everyone agrees w/ parts or even most of what you're saying. But speaking for myself I prefer to treat each season, with it's myriad of injuries, changes, etc., on an individual game-by-game basis. And especially now w/ the portal, that seems to me to be the best way of approaching things.
I'm also not a " what will happen NEXT year" kinda guy. I see that as opening myself up to unnecessary angst over an as-yet undeveloped circumstance. So many variables are in place, and we have no idea how each one might effect us, or even our future opponents.
What-if FSU for instance loses their starting QB and has a banged up starting RB right before we play them? The real issue is whether we'd have enough firepower to take advantage of a situation like that, and come out w/ a win, no? Unfortunately based on past results, the answer to that question would be " NO, we don't". That sucks- and has to get better - & is Dino gonna get us there?
I also agree that recruiting has never been a Babers strong suit. But plenty of good, consistent programs have won w/ similar recruit rankings as ours. And I see the portal as being more impactful moving forward than " regular" recruiting- to build the depth we need & to win consistently.
That's not blind optimism, just practical reality. Jmho
I get what you’re saying about it being a year to year process. I was just making a point of what we’re up against next year if Drake Maye, an improved FSU with a top recruiting class, and an always tough Clemson on the schedule.
As far as the portal I’m not as high on it as most thinking it will be a net positive for us. As it stands right now can you say we are net positive this year losing Duce, Carter, and Linton. The former having 3 all league selections between them, and the former our best pass rusher. I’m most excited about Joe Moe right now just because he has proven himself at a pretty competitive level. The others were either injured, or haven’t proven themselves yet at this level.

Lol at thinking we would be any better if Marrone stayed. He left b/c we were a year away from moving to the ACC and the 3rd hardest division in CFB. He wanted no part of that and got out while the gettin was good.
If there’s one thing to look forward to is the division-less conference going forward. It will ease up the difficultly of the schedule a bit so we don’t face the gauntlet of Clemson fsu Louisville nc state every year
Marrone was by far the most successful HC we have had since we were consistently good. Most importantly he could identify and develop talent and his staff could recruit. Mind you this was after the GRob disaster that left us as probably the worst P5 program with High School level facilities. Imagine if he had time to build on 2 bowls in 4 years, ACC affiliation, and some what competitive facilities. I don’t get how everybody is so quick to forgive or back so many other people who screwed us, but are almost universally hateful to someone who was an actual alum, has had one of the most successful professional careers of any of our former players , and donated to the program. SU didn’t invest in the program like he was told when he got the job and was offered by what, 5 NFL teams? And you fault him for leaving? Lol

When did being a “kid” and being a “professional” become mutually exclusive?
Weird stuff

18 year olds go to war and die, vote for our political leaders and some have multi million dollar deals to play college football. You have a whole lot of life experience to gain, but they aren’t a naive child, especially these kids who have been in the spotlight for 3 years due to their athletic success. If anything your take is weird.

Last edited:
Making bowl games consistently will count, but not once every 5 years. As far as bowl game wins I don’t think it matters as much as it used to since most of the guaranteed NFL draft picks won’t play in low or mid-tier bowl games and by then at least a handful of good players will have hit the portal.

I don’t understand how my point hasn’t been validated?
In the win totals you cited, you excluded bowl win in 2018

I get what you’re saying about it being a year to year process. I was just making a point of what we’re up against next year if Drake Maye, an improved FSU with a top recruiting class, and an always tough Clemson on the schedule.
As far as the portal I’m not as high on it as most thinking it will be a net positive for us. As it stands right now can you say we are net positive this year losing Duce, Carter, and Linton. The former having 3 all league selections between them, and the former our best pass rusher. I’m most excited about Joe Moe right now just because he has proven himself at a pretty competitive level. The others were either injured, or haven’t proven themselves yet at this level.

Lol at thinking we would be any better if Marrone stayed. He left b/c we were a year away from moving to the ACC and the 3rd hardest division in CFB. He wanted no part of that and got out while the gettin was good.

Marrone was by far the most successful HC we have had since we were consistently good. Most importantly he could identify and develop talent and his staff could recruit. Mind you this was after the GRob disaster that left us as probably the worst P5 program with High School level facilities. Imagine if he had time to build on 2 bowls in 4 years, ACC affiliation, and some what competitive facilities. I don’t get how everybody is so quick to forgive or back so many other people who screwed us, but are almost universally hateful to someone who was an actual alum, has had one of the most successful professional careers of any of our former players , and donated to the program. SU didn’t invest in the program like he was told when he got the job and was offered by what, 5 NFL teams? And you fault him for leaving? Lol

When did being a “kid” and being a “professional” become mutually exclusive?

18 year olds go to war and die, vote for our political leaders and some have multi million dollar deals to play college football. You have a whole lot of life experience to gain, but they aren’t a naive child, especially these kids who have been in the spotlight for 3 years due to their athletic success. If anything your take is weird.
The Marrone stuff is very much the jilted boyfriend/girlfriend complex. Nobody would care if he hadn't done a good job. People saw the potential for long term success and hate he left just like when the hot girlfriend dumps you for someone else. The same thing still happens here in Knoxville with Lane Kiffin. Nobody talks about Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, or Jeremy Pruitt, but they hate Lane Kiffin.

Marrone being the best since we were consistently good is not a great compliment. It’s more an indictment of the program, area, and CFB in general.

The gap between him and Dino is small honestly. Strength of schedule is the debate there. The other two were no good (Gerg is the worst, obviously.)

Marrone being the best since we were consistently good is not a great compliment. It’s more an indictment of the program, area, and CFB in general.

The gap between him and Dino is small honestly. Strength of schedule is the debate there. The other two were no good (Gerg is the worst, obviously.)

Marrone wasn’t here long enough to know how good he was. Signs were that he had the program going in the right direction. People who think Syracuse is a 4 year rebuild are out of their minds. It’s going to take a decade to fix this thing. We lost basically an entire generation of fans.

Marrone wasn’t here long enough to know how good he was. Signs were that he had the program going in the right direction. People who think Syracuse is a 4 year rebuild are out of their minds. It’s going to take a decade to fix this thing. We lost basically an entire generation of fans.
Yes, on all accounts

A decade to fix what?

i must say, I’m incredibly proud of this community that we got through this one without having the thread locked. Special shout-out to CL
I was just going to say the same thing after seeing the thread bump. But I was also going to say we needed to step up our game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom