Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

Never understood the hand wringing and panty knots with this kid. No p5 offers, he is definitely lacking height and if babers decides we don't need the kid than so be it. Kid sounds like a great kid, but he has great options elsewhere as well and now Tulane. For every Russell wilson there are 100 FCS qbs at that size.

Not a huge deal either way! hs the kid the best if he plays here or doesn't.

Buddy, so I assume you have broken down a couple of hours of film on the kid, gotten insight from some people who have seen him play, know the status of the current/potential roster and combined it with you college football coaching experience to conclude that you know more than the head coach.
Two things:
(1) Since we have no idea what decisions HCDB has made in regards to this kid, we cannot conclude anything at this time.
(2) Not for nothing, but this IS an SU message board meant to spark discussion, second-guessing, arm-chair qb'ing, and overall general rah-rahing for the good guys. In any other forum, your perspective would hold some water. But complaining about folks having/giving opinions here about matters related to SU football, is akin to going to spring break in Panama Beach and having a problem w/ the excessive drinking!
JMHO

Last edited:
Bad move unless someone else is LOCKED in. I know it's the honeymoon period with the new staff but alot is up in the air recruiting wise. Hope they can make up ground with the new adds but there isn't alot of time. Of course, the LB flip was a nice job but pretty sure that was directly related to the Va. coach coming over. Outside of Foster, the guys I'm seeing that are most probable commits moving forward are not highly rated by the services and dont have many P5 offers. Alot can change quickly so we'll have to wait and see. The next 7 weeks will determine how well this strategy all works out.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I'll reserve judgment until after signing day on how it all shook out. I hope he does well.
You're not really reserving judgment.

You're not really reserving judgment.

I am reserving judgment on the class he's changing around. Curious moves are being made by the staff and I'm interested to see it shake out. Am I to assume they are all the right ones at this time? Sorry for not giving absolute instantaneous approval to every move the staff makes in recruiting.

I am reserving judgment on the class he's changing around. Curious moves are being made by the staff and I'm interested to see it shake out. Am I to assume they are all the right ones at this time? Sorry for not giving absolute instantaneous approval to every move the staff makes in recruiting.

Not sure they were looking for your approval. Were they?

VirginiaOrange said:
Buddy, so I assume you have broken down a couple of hours of film on the kid, gotten insight from some people who have seen him play, know the status of the current/potential roster and combined it with you college football coaching experience to conclude that you know more than the head coach.
Do I need to know more than the coach to be able to express an opinion? Using your logic, very few of us should have authority to speak on this matter. Might as well shut down this board. You related to Babers?

Dino, I am your father.

Darth-Vader_6bda9114.jpeg

syr02esq said:
Do I need to know more than the coach to be able to express an opinion? Using your logic, very few of us should have authority to speak on this matter. Might as well shut down this board. You related to Babers?

You do realize that "very few of us should have the authority to speak on the matter" is 100% true? (Me included)

You don't need to know anything at all to express an opinion on a message board. That's why it exists. (As you mentioned)

As for this decision - no one knows how it will turn out. Babers included. I'd take the bird in hand. But I trust that these guys have a plan and know what they are looking for.

I don't see any "curious moves". Every staff has to make a determination as to who fits its scheme and who doesn't.

They allowed a nickel back/OLB (Harper) to decommit because they will play a 4-3 Tampa two base and 4-2-5 against the spread.

They also traded a 6'2" 205 inside LB (Parker) for a 6'1" 240 lb LB (Ruff) that runs a 4.8 40. I assume his speed will allow him to drop back to cover the middle third of the Tampa 2.

Stubbs was recruited to play H-back, a position that will not exist under the Babers system.

These moves don't suggest that the players who have decommitted are not as talented, but rather that they simply don't fit as well as the others.

You do realize that "very few of us should have the authority to speak on the matter" is 100% true? (Me included)

You don't need to know anything at all to express an opinion on a message board. That's why it exists. (As you mentioned)

As for this decision - no one knows how it will turn out. Babers included. I'd take the bird in hand. But I trust that these guys have a plan and know what they are looking for.

Not a fan of bird in hand mentality at all, settling isn't the answer anymore

IthacaBarrel said:

Normally I'd agree. But it's so late in the recruiting cycle that their window is pretty small. Take too many chances and you lose out rather quickly with no good choices on the board.

I'd take the bird in hand this season with a few guys - then hit 2017 hard.

But I trust the staff. :)

Normally I'd agree. But it's so late in the recruiting cycle that their window is pretty small. Take too many chances and you lose out rather quickly with no good choices on the board.

I'd take the bird in hand this season with a few guys - then hit 2017 hard.

But I trust the staff. :)
The bird in hand doesn't appeal to me. If a kid doesn't fit we could be wasting a schollie on a player than may never see the field except perhaps on ST. Sure, we can kick the kid off the team the next yeat, but who is in favor of that model?

Also, we don't know what the staff knows. At this late stage, I am sure they know who they can definitely get and who is a reach. Lastly, we are talking about 2 and 3 star players without a ton (or any) of other P5 offers.

The Dead period is now in effect from 12/14 -1/13. During the Dead period Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits. Kids can call them but it limits what can be done in recruiting. They may have to take more of Shafers' last class then they like. Next class is all theirs.

Crusty said:
The bird in hand doesn't appeal to me. If a kid doesn't fit we could be wasting a schollie on a player than may never see the field except perhaps on ST. Sure, we can kick the kid off the team the next yeat, but who is in favor of that model? Also, we don't know what the staff knows. At this late stage, I am sure they know who they can definitely get and who is a reach. Lastly, we are talking about 2 and 3 star players without a ton (or any) of other P5 offers.

I agree in any non-transition year. This year? Better have something better lined up.

I agree in any non-transition year. This year? Better have something better lined up.
Exactly which recruits are you stressing over? Seems to me the moves they have made already have improved the class for their system.

The Dead period is now in effect from 12/14 -1/13. During the Dead period Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits. Kids can call them but it limits what can be done in recruiting. They may have to take more of Shafers' last class then they like. Next class is all theirs.

What about texts, emails or DMs on Twitter?

I don't believe the bolded part is true. This is from the NCAA's website:

"What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period."

That to me indicates that yes, coaches absolutely CAN call recruits.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/resources/recruiting-calendars

"What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period."

It is really a modified, adjusted, adapted, refined, revised, amended dead period - you know a typical NCAA rule.

Another factor may be this staffs' penchant for ultra tall OLinemen. 6'6"-6'7" seems like the target height, only makes it tougher on a kid like this to see over...

Another task facing Babers and his staff is to evaluate players on the current roister, and decide which ones will be encouraged to transfer, or take their degrees and move on. Since this ultimately will determine how many scholarships are available, it needs to be done sooner rather than later.

Another task facing Babers and his staff is to evaluate players on the current roister, and decide which ones will be encouraged to transfer, or take their degrees and move on. Since this ultimately will determine how many scholarships are available, it needs to be done sooner rather than later.
But they can't let go so many that it effects depth. Syracuse is not a state school where you have a surplus of players from walk ons. Plus there is always the 25 per class year limit.

"What is a dead period?

One is also allowed to communicate telepathically. I don't know that for a fact but I do sense it.

"What is a dead period?

I stand corrected.

You are correct.

Dead Period (Bylaw 13.02.5.5)

A dead period is a period of time when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off the institution's campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by prospective student-athletes to the institution's campus. The provision of complimentary admissions to a prospective student-athlete during a dead period is prohibited, except as provided in Bylaw 13.7.2.5 for a prospective student-athlete who visits an institution as part of a group. During a dead period, a coaching staff member may not serve as a speaker at or attend a meeting or banquet at which prospective student-athletes are in attendance per Bylaw 13.1.8.1, and may not visit a prospective student-athlete's educational institution. It remains permissible, however, for an institutional staff member to write or telephone a prospective student-athlete. (Revised 1/11/94)