Class of 2016 - QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED

Toga said:
Yes - could someone explain the distinction please?

It's a way of trying to "place a hold" on a kid. The coaches are referencing their internal board. If these 3 kids go somewhere else we have a scholarship for you.

If I were a parent of a recruit, I do exactly what most do: claim it as an offer to raise my kids profile - while telling my kid that it isn't a realistic option until it's commitable. In other words - get what you can from it, but don't treat it the same as an actual offer.

Recruiting is a numbers game. By my count the database for 2016 alone has around 170 offered prospects. The 2016 class is probably going to be 18 commits. The majority of those offers are non-committable...the prospect t has been offered but is not the first choice for a commitment. This can be because of academics or they may not be the perfect fit for the programs system. Additionally with most of these offers the staff has never met personally with any of these kids due to recruiting restrictions placed on them by the NCAA. So unless a kid can make a visit to campus before their senior year there has been no face to face contact.

That's the problem they never tell you it's not comittable. They never say you can't commit. The call you and say I would like to offer you a scholarship to play For us. Last year in May shy was offered. About this time shy wanted to commit. When he started taking to the coaches about committing they told him to wait. Not he couldn't commit just told him they want him to wait. Then we went to camp and saw him aNd we went to the office where coach told him they want him to commit. It took him saying it 3 times before shy understood they would except his commit. Shy was still waiting for the but we want your to wait. These kids that have offers are not told they have a conditional offer.

It's like this; when Steven was offered by USA, we were told that he was their number 1 priority at the position for which they were recruiting him. USA also offered other kids at that same position, but those kids were "discouraged" to commit until coach Jones knew what Steven was going to do. It was the same thing with Florida. Once Steven confirmed his commitment to Syracuse, they moved on to the next guy down on their list.

I'd say that almost D2 program and above does this. Certainly every D1 program does. It's just a part of the game we call recruiting.

As I mentioned in the past one of the most important question a parent school ask the school before signing the letter to a full ride is what their injury policy is. Then tell them to prove it.Will they let you ride out until the end if your career is done or will they pull the Scholarship and tell you to move on. I know Syracuse use to honor it until the end and even let players comeback to school after their career was exhausted to earn their degree. You had to ask for the later.

As I mentioned in the past one of the most important question a parent school ask the school before signing the letter to a full ride is what their injury policy is. Then tell them to prove it.Will they let you ride out until the end if your career is done or will they pull the Scholarship and tell you to move on. I know Syracuse use to honor it until the end and even let players comeback to school after their career was exhausted to earn their degree. You had to ask for the later.
Syracuse still does. We asked.

I guess we can deduce then that Rex has an Ohio State offer but not really, not until they get down their pecking order. Ohio State by the way, already has a QB commitment out of DeSoto, TX and took two last year.

Syracuse still does. We asked.
I would think that policy would be a big factor for someone choosing between schools that are the last finalists. But maybe not - IDK.

Smart man for asking...
Thanks.

Had a friend of mine who, back in the late 70s - early 80s played OL for Illinois State. Blew his knee out as a junior. That spring, the HC at the time told him to pack his !@#$ and go because he didn't have room on his roster for "cripples". He finished his senior year using student loans.

Sometimes, I got the feeling that Steven was a "commodity", or a "product", in the eyes of some.

I agree with bcubs9497. I am sure that he received those offers but he might not have been some of those schools plan A. I don't know if anyone else caught it but in the one video he stated that last year was his first year playing varsity FB. Some of those schools could have offered but were waiting to see what he did this year. And that is just me thinking out loud.
Oooo, get in on him now. He could very well blow up this year if he's still on the front end of the learning curve.

I would think that policy would be a big factor for someone choosing between schools that are the last finalists. But maybe not - IDK.
Kinda depends on the kid. The allure of a future NFL career can be a strong temptation...

That's the problem they never tell you it's not comittable. They never say you can't commit. The call you and say I would like to offer you a scholarship to play For us. Last year in May shy was offered. About this time shy wanted to commit. When he started taking to the coaches about committing they told him to wait. Not he couldn't commit just told him they want him to wait. Then we went to camp and saw him aNd we went to the office where coach told him they want him to commit. It took him saying it 3 times before shy understood they would except his commit. Shy was still waiting for the but we want your to wait. These kids that have offers are not told they have a conditional offer.

I almost think that if the NCAA allowed coaches to have face to face contact with these kids during their Junior year off campus it would eliminate some of these non-commitable offers. They would have a better idea of who the kid is as a person, whether or not there was real interest or if he would fit in their program.

I like what this kid has to offer and feel he is a quality recruit; let's hope we are able to close this one our successfully.
For what it's worth, no recruit is a sure thing until he does it on the field in college.
Go Orange!

I just hate the game.. I think the school should shave to put it in writing. You are extended an offer by us you have this offer until xxxx at that time we will either reoffer or move on.

I remember Brad playing us in 1991, which makes me old, and he was a terror for the line. Probably the most impressive thing about him is that after playing for 9 years in the NFL he went back to get his JD. Impressive family hopefully we grab Rex.

I think the school should shave to put it in writing.

upload_2015-6-4_10-14-22.jpeg

Thanks.

Had a friend of mine who, back in the late 70s - early 80s played OL for Illinois State. Blew his knee out as a junior. That spring, the HC at the time told him to pack his !@#$ and go because he didn't have room on his roster for "cripples". He finished his senior year using student loans.

Sometimes, I got the feeling that Steven was a "commodity", or a "product", in the eyes of some.
My brother in law and his brother played at Illinois State around that time as well.

I swear I only checked because someone mentioned Gary Patterson is now following Monica Culpepper, so I went to look at who she follows again. Make it the last SIXTEEN people she follows all having SU connections, as she just started following Joe Adam.

No Gary Patterson on there.

I can't recall where I saw it, but I read one thing about Rex yesterday where it said that, apparently, when Urban Meyer offered him he told him that he reminded him of a young Alex Smith.

Thanks.

That is a horrible human being. I bet that happened more then than it does now, but it should never be like that. I don't have any respect for someone that treats people like commodities.

Last edited: