Class of 2021 - QB Riley Leonard (AL) Portal from Duke | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Riley Leonard (AL) Portal from Duke

It's not him in particular. It's the lack of good options at this point in the process. It seems like we hone in on one guy at a time.
I am optimistic we'll be able to land a good transfer next year as Tommy enters his Senior year, as there'll be a bunch of highly recruited guys losing QB competitions. We'll take their sloppy seconds.

We don't really know if we "honed in on one guy at a time' though. some of this stuff takes on a life of it's own when in actuality behind the scenes nobody knows what's going on.

Do we want this kid ? Sure we do I think that's obvious. But I'm also sure there are other kids we're recruiting and other kids we would also love to have.

I am personally the other way. Haven't watched a lot of film on various QB offers through the years, but Leonard's video is right there with Devito IMO.

Leonard's release and the projection he has is what excites me about him. Think the arm strength will come as the frame fills out and the footwork on throws is really good (based on highlight film, so it better be).

He is a definite P5 QB for me with All-ACC upside, probably a low 4 star in my opinion. Would love to get him, but think whomever gets him is going to get a really, really, really good QB prospect.

Eh to each their own.

Would have been nice to land young Mr. Leonard. I wish him luck at Duke against everybody but the Orange. That being said everything happens for a reason and I have absolute faith in the Syracuse University Football Staff to find a great fit at quarterback for the program. Next man up on the board, Go Orange!!!!

Our QB play will speak for itself once Cav solidifies our line and we’re able to establish a threatening run game.

We have the horses at RB, we have mustangs.

I really think the difference last year was predictability in our pass game paired with a non existent push from our line for half the year. Decision making and failure to extend plays didn’t help either.

Our QB play will speak for itself once Cav solidifies our line and we’re able to establish a threatening run game.

We have the horses at RB, we have mustangs.

I really think the difference last year was predictability in our pass game paired with a non existent push from our line for half the year. Decision making and failure to extend plays didn’t help either.
The O line play was historically bad for most of the season and DeVito took a nearly unprecedented beating. I think that is a big reason why QBs are gun shy about coming here this cycle. The damage was already done by the time the line started playing better the last couple of games. It must be pretty easy for other programs to negatively recruit against us.

Negating the momentum from a 10 win season only compounded this issue. We need a big season from DeVito to turn QB recruiting, IMO. But...I really like DIllion M. Let's hope we caught lightening in a bottle.

Landing a kid from Alabama who has solid offers from Vandy and Duke is a tough climb. Its too bad we didnt win this one. The positive is that we identified, connected with and came close.

Landing a kid from Alabama who has solid offers from Vandy and Duke is a tough climb. Its too bad we didnt win this one. The positive is that we identified, connected with and came close.
Eh. Moral victories are fake and arguably more so in recruiting.

That said, there’s still more than enough time to land a QB this cycle

Eh. Moral victories are fake and arguably more so in recruiting.

That said, there’s still more than enough time to land a QB this cycle

There is a ton of time left in this cycle, but this is 4 straight years of recruiting cycle struggle when it comes to QB recruits. The worm needs to turn and soon. We can't continue like this.

Need the season to happen. OLine to show they’re improved, and Devito to show why he was the chosen one by Dino.

Its much easier to sell above/selling a QB that they can come redshirt and potentially take over for four years.

Congrats to Riley. Very happy he is going to get a chance to play at the P5 level. Wish it was for Syracuse but he seems like a great kid and deserves a shot.

Cutcliffe has done a good job preparing a few QBs for the NFL. Duke is a terrific school. I understand why Riley went there.

I don’t think Cutcliffe knows how to best take advantage of his athletic ability and I don’t think the Duke offense is a good fit for him. Hope it works out for him there. In the right situation, I am convinced he will be a college star.

And about two decades ago, Cutcliffe coached a lesser-known signal caller named David Morris at Ole Miss.

Morris is now the founder and head trainer for QB Country in Mobile. Leonard has been working with him since fifth grade.
From the PS article. Our chances were probably not as good as we thought. This connection to Cutcliffe was too much to overcome.

After reading the article there is some pretty solid connections with Cutcliffe and Duke. probably an uphill battle from the start really.

next...
you r probably right, but it appears every good qb recruit is a uphill battle. our recruiting in general is in serious trouble. we just missed out on te who choose rutgers.

I have to think, in terms of QB recruiting, our 10 win season was negated pretty quickly by Tommy not being able to do a 3 step drop without a defender in his face for at least two-thirds of the year.

Cant blame any kid for going to another P5 from my perspective.
I thought this system was supposed to attract QB's like flies to honey?

you r probably right, but it appears every good qb recruit is a uphill battle. our recruiting in general is in serious trouble. we just missed out on te who choose rutgers.
Agree that our recruiting could/should be better, but “in serious trouble”?
Yeah, that’s just hyperbole, IMO.
And the TE who chose Rutgers, didn’t we just lock up Landon Morris, a kid w/ multiple P5 offers just last week?
But yeah...doomed.

What's a "WELP"?
You have a lot of catching up to do...

62ACB24C-4242-41F8-892E-52C2A8C622F1.jpeg

QB recruiting is certainly not for the faint of heart. Just have to keep battling until we get one. It's never going to be easy at Syracuse regardless of who is the coach. Duke had a leg up here, failure to acknowledge this is fine but don't let facts get in the way of a good argument or for continued shots at the recruiting.

Onto the next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom