Class of 2021 - QB Ty Keyes (MS) Portal from Southern Miss to East Mississippi JUCO | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Ty Keyes (MS) Portal from Southern Miss to East Mississippi JUCO

I like that he is another dual threat. If he decides to come then it is going to be an interesting spring

They have a feeling there will be a transfer or two after Spring practice. You're not bringing in another QB from the portal just because. That'll be another guy along with CDRW who has multiple years of eligibility left should he commit.

What's the story on this dude?

Seems like he had some big offers out of high school, but landed at Southern Miss?

He’s only played 7 games over 2 years and had 2 season ending injuries. Had a terrific offer list out of high school. I wonder if he’d be open to playing a different position to get on the field? He’s a terrific athlete.

He’s only played 7 games over 2 years and had 2 season ending injuries. Had a terrific offer list out of high school. I wonder if he’d be open to playing a different position to get on the field? He’s a terrific athlete.
He played in 3 games this year and got hurt in all of them. The hand injury in October knocked him out for the year.

In his high school days at Taylorsville High School, he threw for 14,525 yards and 155 touchdowns. Keyes was an ESPN Top 300 player recruited out of high school in 2021. ESPN ranked him as the No. 7 dual-threat QB in the country and a four-star recruit.

If he comes, we will have 2 QBs from Mississippi and another who transferred from that state.

I found an article saying Keyes was injured against Liberty with a hit to his chin. The Liberty player was kicked for targeting. Could not find info on his hand injury. There were some comments from Tom’s article saying the guy had some nice plays against Bama I think I read. If the thinking is we lose one QB after the spring, its prudent to bring in a high ceiling player like Keyes so that way for 2024 you have high talent QBs competing for QB1 who are both familiar with the playbook.

I’d temper expectations. Looks like we’re gambling on a often injured player but who has a lot of untapped potential. From my short research, he played low level HS comp so the jury is still out because of his injuries. but I think he’s shown A lot of raw potential and the athletic ability is off the charts.

Had one time been committed to Tulane before flipping to Southern Miss.

Watching some video clips looks like he has a live arm and runs like a deer. Listening to some interviews people love his talent but needs to be coached up.

Here’s the liberty hit that knocked him out. Cheap shot for sure. Hate that.

Here’s some Grambling State highlights

I wonder if Morgan graduates this spring? Maybe take his degree and walk?

Last edited:
I’d temper expectations. Looks like we’re gambling on a often injured player but who has a lot of untapped potential. From my short research, he played low level HS comp so the jury is still out because of his injuries. but I think he’s shown A lot of raw potential and the athletic ability is off the charts.

Watching some video clips looks like he has a live arm and runs like a deer. Listening to some interviews people love his talent but needs to be coached up.

Great athlete to say the least.

Or it’s just depth since sellers bailed. Always a slight possibility that Shrader moves on this year too. I trust him when he said he wouldn’t play for someone else in college but he may just want to move on.
I doubt that Shrader is moving on. Most likely the staff is just looking for more depth after the Sellers flip.

I doubt that Shrader is moving on. Most likely the staff is just looking for more depth after the Sellers flip.
That’s my assumption as well. Just throwing out the only other plausible scenario. He seems like a QB depth play, which is important in the transfer era. Or an athlete who can play elsewhere.

I could see Morgan taking his degree and trying one grad year at a lower program. May as well get a masters, too.

Great athlete to say the least.
He led his class 2A HS team to 3 state championships. 2A is pretty low but HS football in Mississippi is different than most states.

You have to be concerned about his injury history but as far as I can see he was fine in HS.

I agree with Blue he is the hoped for replacement for Sellers. No way we would offer him unless we lost LaNorris.

I think the expectation in this day and age is that someone is going to get disenchanted and lose at QB at the end of every spring. You have to stock up here in order to have some depth for the regular season. QB is a key position for our offense. We are going to have injuries and need quality depth.

Good move to address the loss quickly. Let's hope we get this guy. His skill set and the SU offense are made for each other.

Or just looking to add as much quality depth to the QB room as they can, and let however it sorts out down the road work itself out.

People always seem to bring up Lamson, but it's Morgan that I would expect to be the first loss out of the QB room. If Lamson returns healthy, that puts Morgan as 4th on the depth chart. If this kid comes in, who knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom