Class of 2021 - QB Ty Keyes (MS) Portal from Southern Miss to East Mississippi JUCO | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Ty Keyes (MS) Portal from Southern Miss to East Mississippi JUCO

Per the first post in the thread he had offers coming out of HS he had offers from Auburn, Ole Miss, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Arkansas, Mississippi State and others.

Not every school is going to be looking for another QB this late in the cycle. We wouldn't be if Sellers hadn't flipped.
I understand that and I am not knocking his talent nor am I claiming we are reaching here. I was asking about offers since he entered the portal because many of these kids stay near home. SU is quite a distance from him, so a closer P5 program might have an advantage. Like I said, he probably fits the mold of a good G5 player trying to make the jump to P5 and SU is his only option (pending other offers)...hence the question.

I am perceiving a negative attitude directed towards me from you and am not really sure why. If not then I apologize, but that's my perception.

Why did we go after this guy? Sure, he has some talent, but he is the fourth QB we have gone after from the class of 2021. Lamson, Villari (came to us as a QB) and Del Rio-Wilson are all from the class of 2021.

What message does it send to Lamson and Del Rio-Wilson? I didn't like bringing in Villari for the same reason. I do understand Del Rio-Wilson because we didn't go after him until after Lamson got injured last spring (and Villari had all spring to show he wasn't a QB). But why go after another QB with the same eligibility as Lamson and Del Rio-Wilson thus creating a logjam at the position?

Is the fat azzhole from Last Chance U still the coach at EMCC?

Why did we go after this guy? Sure, he has some talent, but he is the fourth QB we have gone after from the class of 2021. Lamson, Villari (came to us as a QB) and Del Rio-Wilson are all from the class of 2021.

What message does it send to Lamson and Del Rio-Wilson? I didn't like bringing in Villari for the same reason. I do understand Del Rio-Wilson because we didn't go after him until after Lamson got injured last spring (and Villari had all spring to show he wasn't a QB). But why go after another QB with the same eligibility as Lamson and Del Rio-Wilson thus creating a logjam at the position?
There could be in my opinion a myriad of reasons:
Add to your QB room every year.
Maybe the staff, having observed things with the other QBs think additional talent is needed.
Maybe the staff has been told by a player that if they are not on the 2 deep post spring they will portal.
Maybe because finding a high performer on the field is as much luck as it is skill and so the staff wants to create a broader future competition post GS.
Maybe a parent wants one of our QBs to move on if not on the two deep.
Maybe given the volatility of the portal is so bad, they are hedging their bets on QBs leaving whenever they may want.
Maybe the staffs philosophies have chaned and they are targeting getting portal QBs every cycle or every other cycle.
It could be a number of reasons. As long as the players feel they have a fair shot when the competition is open for QB1 in play, most will think they will win out. At least that’s what I would want me QBs thinking.

He’s a year away minimum being at juco and insurance.

This has nothing to do with CDRW and Lamson and what Dino thinks of them. Also Keyes would surely have 4 years of eligibility after being granted a medical RS. That gives him another year on top of both of those guys. Did you have an issue bringing in Sellers as a frosh? This kid has 4 years left and we need to add another QB to the roster and really having one that can't leave easily would be nice. It’s certainly possible either of those other guys mentioned move on. And who knows what Morgan does. Not saying these guys will leave but its certainly possible. We only have Shrader one more year. We need to continue to build the QB depth chart.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with CDRW and Lamson and what Dino thinks of them. Also Keyes would surely have 4 years of eligibility after being granted a medical RS. That gives him another year on top of both of those guys. Did you have an issue bringing in Sellers as a frosh? This kid has 4 years left and we need to add another QB to the roster and really having one that can leave easily would be nice. It’s certainly possible either of those other guys mentioned move on. And who knows what Morgan does. Not saying these guys will leave but its certainly possible. We only have Shrader one more year. We need to continue to build the QB depth chart.

A medical redshirt is not guaranteed. And Lamson might also qualify for a Med RS.

I did not have any issue with Sellers or any other 2023 QB cause I would expect him to redshirt which would have staggered the eligibility in the room more than Keyes.

The QB room would have looked like this.

RS So, Lamson
RS So, Del Rio-Wilson
RS So, Morgan
RS So, Keyes

That’s not depth, that’s a bubble or logjam.

I understand that and I am not knocking his talent nor am I claiming we are reaching here. I was asking about offers since he entered the portal because many of these kids stay near home. SU is quite a distance from him, so a closer P5 program might have an advantage. Like I said, he probably fits the mold of a good G5 player trying to make the jump to P5 and SU is his only option (pending other offers)...hence the question.

I am perceiving a negative attitude directed towards me from you and am not really sure why. If not then I apologize, but that's my perception.
No negativity...just stating the facts.

A medical redshirt is not guaranteed. And Lamson might also qualify for a Med RS.

I did not have any issue with Sellers or any other 2023 QB cause I would expect him to redshirt which would have staggered the eligibility in the room more than Keyes.

RS So, Lamson
RS So, Del Rio-Wilson
RS So, Morgan
RS So, Keyes

Both of Keyes years were shortened to 4 games or fewer due to injury. I'm fairly certain a medical redshirt should be easy to get there. Lamson redshirted in 2020 without an injury as far as we know then was injured for 2021. So getting a medical redshirt for 2021 a year after a standard redshirt year without an injury I believe is a bit harder. At least it used to be.

We have a great QB room. Will need to bring someone in next cycle. My money is on Lamson if he stays taking over for Shrader after he leaves

RS So, Lamson
RS So, Del Rio-Wilson
RS So, Morgan
RS So, Keyes

So if we had brought Keyes in, really I think the depth chart next year would have been:

RS Sr, Shrader
RS So, Lamson (possibly could get a medical redshirt and be a freshman)
RS So, Del Rio-Wilson
RS So, Morgan
RS Fr Keyes (assuming he gets a medical redshirt as its very likely)

4-5 QB's is what I think a roster carries typically. Since we lost Sellers so late it really limits our options of what we can bring in this year in 2023. You may be able to get away with 4 QB's but with having 3 kids that are Sophomores I think its fairly likely at least one leaves after the spring or soon after. IF that happens were screwed not just because of if injuries happen but for scout team etc. We obviously couldn't find, or at least have not found yet a 2023 freshman QB to fill in sellers place so the staff did the next best thing and tried to bring in a solid prospect transfer with 4 years of eligibility. I think it was a smart idea. And If any of the Sophomores leave I don't think it is because we brought in Keyes but because they got beat out by another Sophomore and they are looking to play.

So at this point,, we are still sitting at 4 scholarship QB's on the roster and I think we need to bring in another QB now or probably will need to try to bring in another QB after spring ball if a QB leaves at that point. Maybe at that point there will be other RS freshman QB's on rosters that are not happy another RS freshman QB that is ahead of them on their depth chart. That is what I think is likely to happen anyway.

Although I thought MacPhail's highlights looked fairly good coming in. But I don't think he has much mobility so he may not fit the system all that well.

Last edited:
So if we had brought Keyes in, really I think the depth chart next year would have been:

RS Sr, Shrader
RS So, Lamson (possibly could get a redshirt and be a freshman)
RS So, Del Rio-Wilson
RS So, Morgan
RS Fr Keyes (assuming he gets a medical redshirt as its very likely)

4-5 QB's is what I think a roster carries typically. Since we lost Sellers so late it really limits our options of what we can bring in this year in 2023. You may be able to get away with 4 QB's but with having 3 kids that are Sophomores I think its fairly likely at least one leaves after the spring or soon after. IF that happens were screwed not just because of if injuries happen but for scout team etc. We obviously couldn't find, or at least have not found yet a 2023 freshman QB to fill in sellers place so the staff did the next best thing and tried to bring in a solid prospect transfer with 4 years of eligibility. I think it was a smart idea. And If any of the Sophomores leave I don't think it is because we brought in Keyes but because they got beat out by another Sophomore and they are looking to play.

So at this point,, we are still sitting at 4 scholarship QB's on the roster and I think we need to bring in another QB now or probably will need to try to bring in another QB after spring ball if a QB leaves at that point. Maybe at that point there will be other RS freshman QB's on rosters that are not happy another RS freshman QB that is ahead of them on their depth chart. That is what I think is likely to happen anyway.

Although I thought MacPhail's highlights looked fairly good coming in. But I don't think he has much mobility so he may not fit the system all that well.

I fully expect we will bring in another QB before the summer.

Preferably one that will be a RS Jr or a RS Fr in 2023.

I fully expect we will bring in another QB before the summer.

Preferably one that will be a RS Jr or a RS Fr in 2023.
I agree that we don't want a Sophmore eligibility kid. But I don't see how a RS Jr is likely though. Why would a RS Jr QB want to come here when we have a starting SR and two very promising Sophomores. It doesn't seem like there is any path to playing time for them. Only way it makes sense is if they are really good and feel like their is a good shot they will likely beat out the Soph's. Not sure I see a kid with that much experience and talent wanting to come in and fight for the second spot now in hopes to be the starter next year. I would think they would pick a different situation.

I agree that we don't want a Sophmore eligibility kid. But I don't see how a RS Jr is likely though. Why would a RS Jr QB want to come here when we have a starting SR and two very promising Sophomores. It doesn't seem like there is any path to playing time for them. Only way it makes sense is if they are really good and feel like their is a good shot they will likely beat out the Soph's. Not sure I see a kid with that much experience and talent wanting to come in and fight for the second spot now in hopes to be the starter next year. I would think they would pick a different situation.

What makes sense to a 20/21-year-old player may not make sense to you or me. Just as what makes sense to you and me may not make sense to a 20/21-year-old player. Often, we don't know what we don't know, and every situation is different.

I expect most if not all teams will complete spring ball before the portal period opens, May 1-15. Players will re-assess their futures and teams will re-assess their needs. Last year we had a need develop when Lamson was injured the week following the spring game, so we went and picked up Del Rio-Wilson.

Timing is everything. Schools on the quarter system can still add a player out of the portal. Most schools on the semester system, like SU, are done for now. One exception would be a player already in the portal who attends a JC for a semester to pick up credits then transfers to a four-year school after the spring term with enough credits to maintain eligibility for the fall season.

Maybe we bring in two QBs.

What makes sense to a 20/21-year-old player may not make sense to you or me. Just as what makes sense to you and me may not make sense to a 20/21-year-old player. Often, we don't know what we don't know, and every situation is different.

I expect most if not all teams will complete spring ball before the portal period opens, May 1-15. Players will re-assess their futures and teams will re-assess their needs. Last year we had a need develop when Lamson was injured the week following the spring game, so we went and picked up Del Rio-Wilson.

Timing is everything. Schools on the quarter system can still add a player out of the portal. Most schools on the semester system, like SU, are done for now. One exception would be a player already in the portal who attends a JC for a semester to pick up credits then transfers to a four-year school after the spring term with enough credits to maintain eligibility for the fall season.

Maybe we bring in two QBs.
So far in the last two days Beck has offered 3 2024 QBs.

So far in the last two days Beck has offered 3 2024 QBs.

Yes. He offered some pretty good QBs; Riley Trujillo (FLA), Samaj Jones (PA) and Luke Moga (AZ). Moga is a better athlete than he is a QB at this point, and Jones might be a little short. All are three-star guys.

I'd like to see us go after and establish relationships with a couple of other guys; Jake Merklinger (GA), CJ Carr (MI), Luke Kromenhoek (GA), and Ryan Puglisi (CT). Each would be considered a longshot for Syracuse to pull in out of high school. But in today's climate with all of the activity in the portal I would focus on establishing a relationship now that we might be able to lean on later if and when any of these guys enters the portal if things don't work out at their original destination.

We have a great QB room. Will need to bring someone in next cycle. My money is on Lamson if he stays taking over for Shrader after he leaves
Just for fun, and you are by no means the only saying this about Lamson, but I think CDRW has much more potential and I don't see it as close. I thought Lamson's arm looked weak in the short bit we saw, especially when compared to CDRW, but that may not be fair as he has a cannon. Lamson struck me as more of a Greg Paulus type of arm, and while that guy was thrown into the fire and performed admirably in restoring some respect to the program, I never thought his arm was good, it was more his leadership and will to win. We have not had opportunity to see that from Lamson, so I wonder why so many people are so enamored with his potential.

*edit, I am sure this conversation does not belong here, sorry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom