Quadir Copeland in the portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quadir Copeland in the portal

I assume he will get a shot at another P6 school.

You can always give a person with problems at another school a second chance ( "clean slate" ) and work from there and still maintain player responsibility, accountability, behaviour in the rest of your program, since the player's issues were elsewhere. And if they act up you deal with it.

Once you have given a player multiple chances at your current school though (like it appears we did with Copeland), the "clean slate" is no longer an option. You can't maintain accountability and responsibility with others in that situation if you keep him around.

At some point Syracuse will have to take chances/risks with players who had problems elsewhere. And give them a clean slate and then act if things flare up. And I'm fine with that. But you can't do it with your own players when they repeatedly act up,

He will have plenty of offers to earn a starting spot like he wants. There’s some reasoning to why he didn’t start this year. Some basketball related and some “other” related. He wants the ball a lot and I think he was a great playmaker and on a team that plays a little looser, he’s going to be a great fit. I loved watching him play, but think both parties win here

He can blow up. There is no doubt about that. Time will tell.
I loved watching him play. I thought he ran the pick and roll with Maliq real well. He was an entertainer and I think his shot will improve a ton.
I understand that the people with the scoop said he had character issues and wanted to start, ect. but I still have a hard time seeing Q play somwhere else.

Sounds like it's for the best, but I'm really bummed. Really wanted this one to work out.

But that's college basketball these days.

Under the non portal system, if there was problems with a player, or player/coach issues, both parties had additional incentive to work on resolving things. It wasn't easy for a player to leave... and it wasn't easy for a player to be replaced.

So both parties would work harder at trying to resolve and rectify things. Now the understanding is if there are issues, you are likely gone, so that becomes the easy solution and easy way out for the player and/or sometimes the coach.. I'm in no way blaming Red here.

There was a freshman from Canada at a mid-tier program this year (Fairfield maybe), who had great stats but it was rumoured he had apparently had multiple run-ins with his new coach that he did not like. And the team let him go in February, because they were probably certain as a productive freshman he would ask out pretty quickly. In the past both sides would have tried to work something out.

Best of luck to Q. If he can figure out how to shoot he can be a dominant player. I could see him doing well at one of the Philly or Big East schools.

It’s a shame to lose obvious talent, but sometimes addition by subtraction makes sense. Really loved his flair (but not the turnovers) and hope he can find a clean slate somewhere.

Best of luck to Q. If he can figure out how to shoot he can be a dominant player. I could see him doing well at one of the Philly or Big East schools.
Wouldn’t be shocked to hear Big East schools like St. John’s, Seton or Providence get involved. Maybe even the god awful Hoya scum

At some point Syracuse will have to take chances/risks with players who had problems elsewhere. And give them a clean slate and then act if things flare up. And I'm fine with that. But you can't do it with your own players when they repeatedly act up,
Phluck it lets go 1990's Cincinnati Bearcats

I assume he will get a shot at another P6 school.

You can always give a person with problems at another school a second chance ( "clean slate" ) and work from there and still maintain player responsibility, accountability, behaviour in the rest of your program, since the player's issues were elsewhere. And if they act up you deal with it.

Once you have given a player multiple chances at your current school though (like it appears we did with Copeland), the "clean slate" is no longer an option. You can't maintain accountability and responsibility with others in that situation if you keep him around.

I’m not sure about getting the opportuniy at another P6 school. He is entertaining but he is not consistent. Can’t imagine him playing in a structurEd system.

Would you add him to a starting lineup that has never seen him in action? He may go to a team that previously recruited him but I can’t see him going to P6 school. Who knows though because I’m sure he was out looking before he went to portal.

He was originally recruited by OKLA ST, Miami, Penn State, Iona, Maryland, LaSalle, Oregon, DePaul and UConn.

Last edited:
Phluck it lets go 1990's Cincinnati Bearcats

Worked good for them... and then not so good for Tark's Fresno teams

I think Cincy had a bit of a mix and the lower "risk" players compared to Fresno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom