Quadir Copeland in the portal | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Quadir Copeland in the portal

He’s no longer the coach and those players are long gone.
My point was simply that Q certainly didn't seem selfish on the court. He was our best distributor, always defended, played balls out and rebounded as good if not better than any player other than Brown. He always cheered and supported his teammates.
So whatever he did must have either been really bad or he is leaving for the same reason Kadary left. He feels like he should have started which based on his playing statistics and results he should have.

My point was simply that Q certainly didn't seem selfish on the court. He was our best distributor, always defended, played balls out and rebounded as good if not better than any player other than Brown. He always cheered and supported his teammates.
So whatever he did must have either been really bad or he is leaving for the same reason Kadary left. He feels like he should have started which based on his playing statistics and results he should have.
Why not both?

I hope he is in sufficient academic standing to land at a decent destination. If the insinuations about off court stuff are true, I hope he matures/gets his mind right. There was a nice moment captured and replayed on a recent broadcast between him and one of the equipment managers and his family on senior day(?) that presented Q in a nice light. I’m not going to label this player as one thing—people are complex. I just wish he had a different team concept. He was entertaining as heck at times, and equally frustrating at others. He has the tools to be a weapon and the tendencies to be a liability.

I always thought JB’s penchant for yanking him so quickly after gaffes was an impediment to his growth, and we’re not going to see whether JB’s leash or Red’s rope was the right call.

I hope Westry has a full healthy season for us next year. Chance may be doing the same positive things Q did this year, but without the dumb stuff. We may not be losing much in the end. Chance probably has the higher upside.

Copeland was my favorite player this year. Always played hard. Actually looked to involve his teammates. Defended and rebounded. He wanted to win when he was out there and always seemed to be a great cheerleader. Brown would be a close second.

With that said, I don’t have sources and I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. But I can assure you, he is not irreplaceable. He would be a great 6th, 7th guy off the bench ala a Josh Pace role during the national championship year. Copeland still has a lot of flaws in his game. And although I liked him, we can deffinetly do better as a program. Our talent level has dropped so much over the last couple years that guys like Copeland are considered huge losses. When in reality, it’s just a flawed basketball player that happens to also be one of the best players on last years team.

Ultimately, what I am trying to say is we need to improve the talent level on this team. At the end of the day, I believe Copeland looked so good this year due to everyone else’s limitations or lack of desire.

1- Judah wouldn’t pass the ball and starling started the year off slow. Not to mention, starling is not a pg. Copeland would come in and get other players involved and feed Brown rolling to the basket. The players would get going a little bit more. The team would play with more energy.

2- Taylor, a good kid, just really couldn’t get much done. So Copeland would come in and look so much better.

3- Bell couldn’t grab a rebound and couldn’t defend. Granted this started to change a little bit down the stretch. But Copeland would come in and bang down low and play tough defense and look for him on the wings to get his shot going.

Copeland would come in and start doing things his other teammates couldn’t or wouldn’t do and it made me appreciate him so much more. However, going back even just the past 10 years, there are a bunch of SU players I would take over Copeland.

Best of luck to him. Hope he finds what he is looking for and hopefully he can learn from whatever happened in this situation.

Copeland was my favorite player this year. Always played hard. Actually looked to involve his teammates. Defended and rebounded. He wanted to win when he was out there and always seemed to be a great cheerleader. Brown would be a close second.

With that said, I don’t have sources and I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. But I can assure you, he is not irreplaceable. He would be a great 6th, 7th guy off the bench ala a Josh Pace role during the national championship year. Copeland still has a lot of flaws in his game. And although I liked him, we can deffinetly do better as a program. Our talent level has dropped so much over the last couple years that guys like Copeland are considered huge losses. When in reality, it’s just a flawed basketball player that happens to also be one of the best players on last years team.

Ultimately, what I am trying to say is we need to improve the talent level on this team. At the end of the day, I believe Copeland looked so good this year due to everyone else’s limitations or lack of desire.

1- Judah wouldn’t pass the ball and starling started the year off slow. Not to mention, starling is not a pg. Copeland would come in and get other players involved and feed Brown rolling to the basket. The players would get going a little bit more. The team would play with more energy.

2- Taylor, a good kid, just really couldn’t get much done. So Copeland would come in and look so much better.

3- Bell couldn’t grab a rebound and couldn’t defend. Granted this started to change a little bit down the stretch. But Copeland would come in and bang down low and play tough defense and look for him on the wings to get his shot going.

Copeland would come in and start doing things his other teammates couldn’t or wouldn’t do and it made me appreciate him so much more. However, going back even just the past 10 years, there are a bunch of SU players I would take over Copeland.

Best of luck to him. Hope he finds what he is looking for and hopefully he can learn from whatever happened in this situation.
Great post. Q was my favorite player this year. He was being lauded for his leadership potential toward the end of the year in at least one TV broadcast so I thought that was a good sign for him staying ….

Oh well, next man up. Red has a tough job ahead of him but that’s just an opportunity to make his mark as a great coach

I loved watching Q on the court and on the bench. I don’t know what happens outside the hardwood but I can understand, from the little we see, why he would have wanted to start over Taylor (so do I). What he brought I hadn’t seen in a while and enjoyed it. If we didn’t have so many guys with flaws then Q would be perfect for his runs but his turnover prone ways didn’t work on a team that was limited in so many ways. I do think possibly ten of his turnovers were bc teammates didn’t expect a pass (JJ!) but he tried to do too much sometimes at the wrong time and didn’t have a great internal clock (but for Miami and unc at the end). I thought he was evolving and could be a better Z heading into next year and senior year but this college crap doesn’t bode well for four year players. Good luck Q and thanks for some highlights and making the games must watch, even when you were from the bench. Loved the end of the unc red presser too. All the best for you young man!

I’m close to not caring. I’m sure we’ll have a team in the fall. Hopefully we have rebounders, a shot blocker, a couple of shooters and a real point guard. i’ll check back in later summer
I feel you. It’s like hopefully we fill in all these holes in our team, who the hell knows what is going to happen these days.

In what world is Copeland a PG?
What makes someone a PG?

I’ll go first. IMO, it is someone that can handle the ball, get to the basket, initiates offense, and gets the players around him in a position to score.

Copeland was the only real PG on this team this year. Mintz was a scoring guard. No other players on the team qualified.

I loved watching Q on the court and on the bench. I don’t know what happens outside the hardwood but I can understand, from the little we see, why he would have wanted to start over Taylor (so do I). What he brought I hadn’t seen in a while and enjoyed it. If we didn’t have so many guys with flaws then Q would be perfect for his runs but his turnover prone ways didn’t work on a team that was limited in so many ways. I do think possibly ten of his turnovers were bc teammates didn’t expect a pass (JJ!) but he tried to do too much sometimes at the wrong time and didn’t have a great internal clock (but for Miami and unc at the end). I thought he was evolving and could be a better Z heading into next year and senior year but this college crap doesn’t bode well for four year players. Good luck Q and thanks for some highlights and making the games must watch, even when you were from the bench. Loved the end of the unc red presser too. All the best for you young man!
Good take. Almost seems like Judah rubbed off on him - showing off as an audition.

I soured when he bumped / brushed off Red on his way to the bench mid/late season.

Anyways, wanted to say that I wish Q the best in his next endeavor. Like JT, he thinks he can get more playing time elsewhere without having to put in the work here and earning it.
If that’s your first take, you ought to reconsider.
You could not be more wrong about JT. More playing time? The kid started every game. By every account, he played precisely because of his hard work in practice and his willingness to play how the coaches wanted him to play.
He lost his shot and his confidence. He was booed at home by a bunch of freaking morons. He needs a fresh start, and he deserves one, as well as our gratitude as fans for the hard work and effort he put in every day, even though nothing went his way on the court. I will be rooting for the kid.

Last edited:
He wasn't retired when he started and won with them. Jim had some bad Arse kids that could ball that played for him.
We don’t have any bad arse kids: just some selfish players.

Yep, nice post. Maliq was so solid, but Copeland was the player with the most upside on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom