Quadir Copeland on his return to Syracuse basketball: ‘I’m big on loyalty’ | Syracusefan.com

Quadir Copeland on his return to Syracuse basketball: ‘I’m big on loyalty’

He may not get the publicity of a guy like Judah or JJ, but he's the type of player a team really needs. The proverbial "glue guy".

Plus a glue guy whose flair, when used appropriately can Jumpstart the team if needed. Just look at what he did in the second half of the Pitt game we almost came all the way back in. He just has that relentless nature paired with true joy of the game. It's unique and typically foreshadows success even if it's a process.

My hope for minute distribution
Mintz- 30
JJ- 30
Westry/ Copeland-20
Benny-20
Brown- 20
Bell-20
Taylor-20
Centers.- 40

Hope we play some small ball and have Brown/Williams take minutes from centers allowing for more minutes from forwards and guards.

Last edited:
Plus a glue guy whose flair, when used appropriately can Jumpstart the team if needed. Just look at what he did in the second half of the Pitt game we almost came all the way back in. He just has that relentless nature paired with true joy of the game. It's unique and typically foreshadows success even if it's a process.
And according to what he said, the returning players are all in with the new staff changes, and style.

Quadir was misused all season. He is not a three. I hope he is used as the backup 1 and battles against the other guards all year in practice, especially Judah, and is ready to take over the point his junior year. He can be a weapon on defense out of the backcourt and provide rebounding at the guard position that we have been sorely lacking

Very easy kid to root for. Never sulked on the bench and always cheered on his teammates.

Very easy kid to root for. Never sulked on the bench and always cheered on his teammates.

Agree with this. Always into the games, whether he played or not. When he did play, always hustled. And JB always mentioned him when talking about practices, apparently always hustled there too.

Wasn't really ready as a freshman (many aren't), and now has a crowded field at his position, but an athletic kid who can be situationally used this year I would think.

Loved that Philly guard moxie from day one! Give me a bigger more athletic version of Scoop with some Dion mixed in any day!

Quadir was misused all season. He is not a three. I hope he is used as the backup 1 and battles against the other guards all year in practice, especially Judah, and is ready to take over the point his junior year. He can be a weapon on defense out of the backcourt and provide rebounding at the guard position that we have been sorely lacking

You can always use a guy that can dribble, pass, board, be tough, can score around the rim.

Utility guys are super important to make teams better, especially on second units.

I think he's going to be a terror playing man-to-man D.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's interesting that in high school he didn't seem invested in playing much defense.

I am not sure that he was misused, per se. JB himself said that he was a point guard and not a forward.

There was no way that he was going to play ahead of Judah or Symir. However, he is 6'6" and given that JB was trying to find answers at the 3 all season, it was only natural that we would experiment with him there.

JB also said that Taylor is a 2 and not a 3 but he also fell into the "let's throw something at the wall at small forward and see if anything sticks" experiment.

Copeland is such a great teammate and has an outstanding attitude on the bench. I hope he makes the leap and can get some solid run. The truth is that it will be a crowded backcourt once again and he has his work cut out for him.

The rotation of Mintz, Starling, Westry, Taylor and Copeland at the 3 guard slots could be extremely good. Two near future NBA players and the other guys who we were very excited about coming in.

They should be able to penetrate, shoot, defend and rebound better than any guard group Wednesday seem in a while.
I really hope the flashes we saw from Copeland last year come all the way through this year.

I especially want to see him in the press. He just seemed to find the ball on defense, averaging 1.6 steals and .8 blocks per 40 against ACC competition. He's exactly the kind of player that makes you uncomfortable when the press is on.

I am not sure that he was misused, per se. JB himself said that he was a point guard and not a forward.

There was no way that he was going to play ahead of Judah or Symir. However, he is 6'6" and given that JB was trying to find answers at the 3 all season, it was only natural that we would experiment with him there.

JB also said that Taylor is a 2 and not a 3 but he also fell into the "let's throw something at the wall at small forward and see if anything sticks" experiment.

Copeland is such a great teammate and has an outstanding attitude on the bench. I hope he makes the leap and can get some solid run. The truth is that it will be a crowded backcourt once again and he has his work cut out for him.
I think the “no way he was going to play ahead of Symir” should’ve been reconsidered around January when it was clear that we were going nowhere, and also clear that Symir wasn’t bringing a ton to the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom