Quadir Copeland on his return to Syracuse basketball: ‘I’m big on loyalty’ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quadir Copeland on his return to Syracuse basketball: ‘I’m big on loyalty’

I think the “no way he was going to play ahead of Symir” should’ve been reconsidered around January when it was clear that we were going nowhere, and also clear that Symir wasn’t bringing a ton to the table.
That may have been more of an unspoken critique of JB than a praise of Torrence. JB often glued young guys to the bench in favor of veterans who weren't necessarily better players.

JB's loyalty to Torrence was admirable, but perhaps was ill advised.

Eh...

He could have gotten minutes over Symir imo.
Sure he could have. However, Symir often displayed a sort of experience if you will when he was on the court while Cope was like an energetic puppy that had just downed a few dozen espressos. Maybe with more court time he would have been calmer, who knows. JB complimented how well he played in practice on more than one occasion. Maybe he didn't see it translate when he was on the court. Not sure.

It isn't like Sy got a ton of minutes either. It just seems like he was the guy who JB trusted to come off the bench.

The rotation of Mintz, Starling, Westry, Taylor and Copeland at the 3 guard slots could be extremely good. Two near future NBA players and the other guys who we were very excited about coming in.

They should be able to penetrate, shoot, defend and rebound better than any guard group Wednesday seem in a while.
I really hope the flashes we saw from Copeland last year come all the way through this year.

I especially want to see him in the press. He just seemed to find the ball on defense, averaging 1.6 steals and .8 blocks per 40 against ACC competition. He's exactly the kind of player that makes you uncomfortable when the press is on.

I think his Jr year will tell his story if he's here.

I think the “no way he was going to play ahead of Symir” should’ve been reconsidered around January when it was clear that we were going nowhere, and also clear that Symir wasn’t bringing a ton to the table.
Nope

he was fun to watch live vs. GT in Atlanta.
Only 2 points, but 17 minutes, 6 rebounds, and 2 assists. Unselfish.
At times too unselfish, which is the nicer way to say forcing bad passes. Hoping in year 2 slows down a bit and eliminates some of the over passing from last year. Plus a consistent threat from 3 off the bench is always welcome.

At times too unselfish, which is the nicer way to say forcing bad passes. Hoping in year 2 slows down a bit and eliminates some of the over passing from last year.
Yeah, weird habit of turning a good shot for himself into a less natural shot for others. Unselfish to a fault.

Just go up and rip off the rim, dude.

Willing passers are vital, and are hard to find. Sometimes they force things, and turnovers result. I for one would happily try and ratchet back that trait, rather than force a “pass only under duress player” to consider involving teammates in the offense. Give me Qadir and one or two more like him.

Symir was a very good facilitator his first year here with an excellent assist/turnover rate (3 to1) in his limited minutes. His shooting other than from the 3 point line that year wasn’t very good but he made his teammates better.

It appears that he worked hard to improve his shooting before this past season which he did. 2 pt shooting improved from .420 to .500, 3 point shooting dipped though from .375 to .333, free throw shooting, a real issue the previous year, increased from 5o% to 83%. His assists/turnover rate dipped with less minutes to 2, not a bad point guard stat though. He was a much better rebounder than our point guards both years in his limited minutes.

I imagine he was as disappointed in his decreasing role while here as anyone. He seemed to be a good teammate and I hope he has a very good year at Binghamton next year. By the way I think both Quadir and Symir are playing together in that summer league in Camillus - both good teammates.

Why is Cuffe being dismissed all together?
For me it's the fact that we have guys ahead of him that are both more highly recruited and more experienced, combined with his injuries preventing him from having played for two years.

I expect he'll play sparingly at best this year, giving him a chance to shake the rust off. He'll be at least a rotation guard next season. Assuming Starling and Mintz are in the NBA come the '24 season

Yeah, weird habit of turning a good shot for himself into a less natural shot for others. Unselfish to a fault.

Just go up and rip off the rim, dude.
Yessir.

I also thought he may have been trying to show off his court vision with some of those passes (love the court vision), but again, just finish it Bruh!. The good thing is once players learn how he sees the court and they know he will/may make that pass, they'll adjust to him some too. Some guards just see the court like the matrix and what everyone is doing.

Attachments

• 22lI.gif
    22lI.gif
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 34
Symir was a very good facilitator his first year here with an excellent assist/turnover rate (3 to1) in his limited minutes. His shooting other than from the 3 point line that year wasn’t very good but he made his teammates better.

It appears that he worked hard to improve his shooting before this past season which he did. 2 pt shooting improved from .420 to .500, 3 point shooting dipped though from .375 to .333, free throw shooting, a real issue the previous year, increased from 5o% to 83%. His assists/turnover rate dipped with less minutes to 2, not a bad point guard stat though. He was a much better rebounder than our point guards both years in his limited minutes.

I imagine he was as disappointed in his minor and decreasing role while here as anyone. He seemed to be a good teammate and I hope he has a very good year at Binghamton next year. By the way I think both Quadir and Symir are playing together in that summer league in Camillus - both good teammates.
He was clearly in his own head..

this season it'll be interesting to see the back court minutes with mintz returning.
be a real insight as to how the new coach manages games and personnel.

this season it'll be interesting to see the back court minutes with mintz returning.
be a real insight as to how the new coach manages games and personnel.
My concern is that Mintz changes his game to showcase his NBA skills, not for what is best for the teams as guys seem to often do.

My concern is that Mintz changes his game to showcase his NBA skills, not for what is best for the teams as guys seem to often do.

Judah needs to sell himself as capable true PG, improved 3pt shooter and strong defender. In his case everything he wants to do for his own benefit is also what we want and the team would benefit from.

You saw a peak of that at the combine too.

Last edited:
Isn’t that what he did last year? Too many times not even looking for his teammates, driving into no man’s land and trying to take over games he couldn’t take over.

I’m not saying he did it last year, but he’s a point guard, a lot of things he is going to do will look like an “audition”.

Personally I think that term is way over stated around here when it comes to players. People said it about Dante but I never thought that once watching him, he lost a lot of great players around him that year and had to play that way for us to be decent.

Roster management and playing time was … questionable… the last few seasons to put it kindly. Not gonna get in an argument with the Boeheim’s never wrong people.

Looking forward to Red

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom