Quick Question on next year's squad- Center position | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quick Question on next year's squad- Center position

Don't know if you have seen the Peach Jam final, but track it down if you can. It was that game that turned me into a Diagne fan. Not only did he rebound like a demon (16, maybe); but, when his team was about to blow a big lead, and the game, in the fourth quarter, they ran plays for him in the post 3 out of 4 trips down the court, and he delivered every time. And this was on a team that featured Briscoe.

As for the shooting range--check with Francis. He can direct you to clips where Diagne shows off his 15-footer.

I'm not saying Diagne isn't capable of making those shots, I just haven't read anything about them nor seen clips of him hitting them with regularity. I don't have to go back far to say that we thought Fab Melo had a insane midrange game, we've seen clips of McCullough draining them from outside, hell, I could make a highlight video of almost any high school basketball player and it's going to show what their highlights are and that's all. In all reality nobody knows what to expect out of these players based on these videos. I watch them just as much as anybody else out there, Syracuse targets and others, I get trapped into watching them for hours on end. I'm not a scout, I'm not a recruiter, I'm just a fan, but I've seen the same song and dance for many many years, especially since these mix tapes became readily available. High level division 1 ball is so much different than high school.

Again, I like McCullough. I think he's going to get better and have a really good season. That said, his contributions are being overrated.

Basically, he's proven that he can stuff stats against lesser opponents and hasn't shown an ability to be a key contributor in wins against good opponents. His loss will not be as big as some expect. He could have some monster games against top competition, but he's replaceable in the aggregate.

Outside of Nova, he as played bad against the two garbage teams we've played recently. He's looked fine against the good teams.

Cal - 12p 7r
Iowa - 20p 9r
Mich - 10p 12r
St Johns - 13p 8r

Shooting 53% averaging 13p 9r a game against those 4 teams.
He's been a key contributor in every game except the last 3. Considering we don't have any wins against good opponents outside of Iowa your logic is flawed.

I'm not saying Diagne isn't capable of making those shots, I just haven't read anything about them nor seen clips of him hitting them with regularity. I don't have to go back far to say that we thought Fab Melo had a insane midrange game, we've seen clips of McCullough draining them from outside, hell, I could make a highlight video of almost any high school basketball player and it's going to show what their highlights are and that's all. In all reality nobody knows what to expect out of these players based on these videos. I watch them just as much as anybody else out there, Syracuse targets and others, I get trapped into watching them for hours on end. I'm not a scout, I'm not a recruiter, I'm just a fan, but I've seen the same song and dance for many many years, especially since these mix tapes became readily available. High level division 1 ball is so much different than high school.

You have a great point. Diagne might not have all the tools we're hoping he has and highlight videos are definitely misleading.

As a bigtime supporter of Diagne, I will say this though; his ballhandling is superb for a PF and the dude is built. Both of these features will translate very well to the college game in my opinion. Will he have a consistent midrange game? IDK. Will he learn the zone and play strong D? IDK that either. But I'm expecting really big things from Diagne, which is a contributing factor to my expectations for next season.

Outside of Nova, he as played bad against the two garbage teams we've played recently. He's looked fine against the good teams.

Cal - 12p 7r
Iowa - 20p 9r
Mich - 10p 12r
St Johns - 13p 8r

Shooting 53% averaging 13p 9r a game against those 4 teams.
He's been a key contributor in every game except the last 3. Considering we don't have any wins against good opponents outside of Iowa your logic is flawed.

"Considering we don't have any wins against good opponents outside of Iowa"

EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!

His contributions haven't converted to wins. Considering he played terribly against Nova and we almost won the game without any players having unforseeable superhuman performances, I think it speaks volumes about how replaceable he his. Those point totals could easily be made up by Malachi and Gbinije next season and the rebounding numbers could be made up with Roberson and Diagne.

Stop with the "your logic is flawed" BS, too. It comes across really petty

Edit: I like McCullough and think he is a really good player who can contribute this year. I just don't think he irreplaceable. If this starts to turn into an argument about whether or no he's good, I'm going to get p*ssed off.

That's why I recommended the Peach Jam final--it's a full game, not a highlight reel, and against high-level competition.

longtimefan said:
That's why I recommended the Peach Jam final--it's a full game, not a highlight reel, and against high-level competition.

Well based off a great high school game I'm not going to assume a guy is going to come in and dominate from day one. Roberson destroyed Towns a couple years back too, btw, Roberson was more ready coming in as well. Roberson was also 20 slots ahead in recruiting than him as well. Is it the end all be all? No, but he probably won't play more than 10 minutes a game next year unless he's forced to play the 5 for extended minutes.

Brooky03 said:
"Considering we don't have any wins against good opponents outside of Iowa" EXACTLY MY POINT!!!! His contributions haven't converted to wins. Considering he played terribly against Nova and we almost won the game without any players having unforseeable superhuman performances, I think it speaks volumes about how replaceable he his. Those point totals could easily be made up by Malachi and Gbinije next season and the rebounding numbers could be made up with Roberson and Diagne. Stop with the "your logic is flawed" BS, too. It comes across really petty Edit: I like McCullough and think he is a really good player who can contribute this year. I just don't think he irreplaceable. If this starts to turn into an argument about whether or no he's good, I'm going to get p*ssed off.

Get pissed off, it's fine. Not one player has contributions against good teams that have translated into a win if that's your logic, sorry, that's flawed logic.

I'm curious on what your expectations for McCullough were before this year started as you have no problem replacing McCullough with Malachi and Diagne.

Well based off a great high school game I'm not going to assume a guy is going to come in and dominate from day one. Roberson destroyed Towns a couple years back too, btw, Roberson was more ready coming in as well. Roberson was also 20 slots ahead in recruiting than him as well. Is it the end all be all? No, but he probably won't play more than 10 minutes a game next year unless he's forced to play the 5 for extended minutes.
Well, we'll find out next season if I'm overrating him or you're underrating him.

From the assumptions I've seen that seems to be 90% of the consensus.

I think you've exaggerated both points of view- yours and the one you are contesting.