Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope. Because I have no idea what Q will do. Why would I bet on something like that? What you keep ignoring what I and others like dasher have told you is that there is and was no guarantee when Q would make a decision and since July was the deadline that was too late for JB to wait on. When he does make a decision doesn’t change that chance one iota.
Dasher is the antithesis of you.
He doesn’t bend the knee.
Same for RF.
The fact you won’t take this friendly bet shows you know he is going to play college hoops.

Nobody knows what he is doing and I am offering you 2-1.
In a friendly type of deal.

In 19-20 Cole shot 62 pct from 2. If you watch his games which I have found quite a few through digging - while his volume isn't high given Nova's offense he is very capable around the rim and uses both hands.

In 20-21 his 2 pt pct dropped to 50 pct but he also went from his shooting going from 66 pct 3s to 75 pct. Nova lost Saddiq Bey to the draft and did not have a replacement for their highest volume 3pt shooter from 19-20. Thus you add even more perimeter focus to the returning guys.

I saw more long 2s from Cole in 20-21 tape which I would chalk up to Novas offense and also hope are reduced and would expect as much. He can get a bucket around the rim and has good footwork and a good touch- more of that paired with his expertise from 3 and it's the ideal scenario and very much still wheelhouse.
Let's not forget that Cole is at least 3 inches taller than Q.
Q really struggled at times with the opposition's inside defense. He has a PF's skill set trapped in a SF's body.

Same for RF.
The fact you won’t take this friendly bet shows you know he is going to play college hoops.

yea yea yea.

I think people are underselling Quincy and overselling Swider a bit.

It's fine. It's the off-season we got to find something to talk about.

For me, it's The Golden Girls, but to each their own.

One thing that does make me nervous with Swider though... the idea that the staff considers Swider to be an "elite" shooter. I don't know how I feel about that. I hope they're right. I know this staff has also talked up shooters that kinda weren't that awesome by the percentages.

Also, we know this means the dude could brick like 8 in a row, it's not changing the minutes.

Exactly, Villanova usually runs a smaller team out there, you’d think with Cole at his size he’d be the ideal guy underneath if he had those skills.

Good grief.

This isn't the video I was looking for [leaving in 2 seconds to take daughter to soccer game], but it will do.

The majority of these plays show off his superlative shooting, as expected. Then, you notice numerous drives to the basket. Half hooks in the post, etc.

Again, he clearly has "those skills" in his repertoire. Watch the entire video. And while I am no fan of evaluating highlight reels, I post this only to illustrate that he does in fact flash those skills you question that he has.

Expecting him only to be a shooter, I was surprised to see him get out and finish in transition. Or show a reasonably solid handle in terms of ability to drive to the basket and finish. Or show nice touch inside with either hands. I don't expect him to play like Corliss Williamson, but I do think that he's more capable inside than some believe or expect -- just like me, before I watched a little bit of video.

I'll try to see if I can find the more comprehensive video, and post it tomorrow.

This year hinges on BS and Jesse, whether Joe improves and what we have in Symir. We are spending a lot of time arguing the 2-4 spots but it's kind of pointless given there is talent there that can win us a nice chunk of games. It's what happens at C and PG that will dictate how much more we win. All of that is either based on health or Development. Can Joe look a lot more like the first two games of the tourney? Can Jesse take the next step? Can we get the BS who was going around with 11/11 games at the end of 19-20? Can Symir come in and be a legit option for 20 mins a game or more when needed? Can Frank contribute? It's all right there at the end of the day.
This!! Well said. I think we have enough talent at the 2-4 positions. It hinges on 1 and 5 in order for us to break through and get where we want to be. I think your post sums up everything perfectly.

Lol yeah with how JB plays rotations we only needed 2.
But we can’t wait for Quincy’s decision till July when he is announcing a new school in May.

When I can access the portal I’ll get back to you. But you are totally right we could never find another forward if we weren’t patient.
Oh wait Quincy already made his decision.
OK, I can compromise. No need to wait until Thursday. Show me a forward in the portal who is a better fit than Junior.

I think people are underselling Quincy and overselling Swider a bit.

It's fine. It's the off-season we got to find something to talk about.

For me, it's The Golden Girls, but to each their own.

One thing that does make me nervous with Swider though... the idea that the staff considers Swider to be an "elite" shooter. I don't know how I feel about that. I hope they're right. I know this staff has also talked up shooters that kinda weren't that awesome by the percentages.

Also, we know this means the dude could brick like 8 in a row, it's not changing the minutes.
Do you think Sofia is Dorothy’s biological mother? Did she make the right decision in not checking the test results?

Good grief.

This isn't the video I was looking for [leaving in 2 seconds to take daughter to soccer game], but it will do.

The majority of these plays show off his superlative shooting, as expected. Then, you notice numerous drives to the basket. Half hooks in the post, etc.

Again, he clearly has "those skills" in his repertoire. Watch the entire video. And while I am no fan of evaluating highlight reels, I post this only to illustrate that he does in fact flash those skills you question that he has.

Expecting him only to be a shooter, I was surprised to see him get out and finish in transition. Or show a reasonably solid handle in terms of ability to drive to the basket and finish. Or show nice touch inside with either hands. I don't expect him to play like Corliss Williamson, but I do think that he's more capable inside than some believe or expect -- just like me, before I watched a little bit of video.

I'll try to see if I can find the more comprehensive video, and post it tomorrow.
Not everyday you get a Corliss Williamson comp

I'm the biggest Jb defender here. But I agree he prob nudged Quincy and AG out so Jimmy would have more playing time and he could coach potentially start both sons.
I don’t think so. He talked up Q as an All American if he came back

Last edited:
OK, I can compromise. No need to wait until Thursday. Show me a forward in the portal who is a better fit than Junior.
I won’t even use
Bagley from Arizona Stats.
I will cite 2 other forwards
Moussa Cisse from Memphis
Jordan Brown from Arizona.
Both are better Junior.

I like Q hes a good player who needs the opportunity to play outside in order to have a chance at making the NBA.
Benny is a much better talent than Q and Benny is going to play. Q would be forced into the same inside role as last year which wasn't going to help him at all.

Cole and Q are different players. Given the choice for SUs style of play i like Cole.

Love Q as a player and great teammate and hope he kills it next year but like Cole better as a fit.

I won’t even use
Bagley from Arizona Stats.
I will cite 2 other forwards
Moussa Cisse from Memphis
Jordan Brown from Arizona.
Both are better Junior.
Of course you won’t use Bagley. He’s testing the draft.

Cisse is a center. Brown only entered the portal two weeks ago and - because this is his second transfer - needs to get a waiver or else he’ll sit out a year.

Try again.

Good grief.

Swider video = Lots of 3's and layups.
At 6'9" and 225lbs, appears to be a finesse player that shoots 3's and will drive the ball.
Didn't see a strong power game inside or leaping ability. Rebound stats appear to confirm this.
Not intended as criticism -just wondering if that take is correct.

Coles a good shooter, and I think he will do pretty well next year, but he won’t be a star or even the best player on our team like some people are making him out to be. That’s what Quincy would’ve been if he came back, and can’t believe we have to try to convince ourselves that Cole > Quincy when it’s not even remotely close.

Coles a good shooter, and I think he will do pretty well next year, but he won’t be a star or even the best player on our team like some people are making him out to be. That’s what Quincy would’ve been if he came back, and can’t believe we have to try to convince ourselves that Cole > Quincy when it’s not even remotely close.
I think cole will fit in great. He will be much more effective in pick n roll and pick n pops than Q was which was our downfall in the Houston game. Our forwards were unable to do anything. The fact that he doesn’t need to be the best player should be helpful as well, he’ll be a great complimentary piece. I like Q but I think he’s replaceable. The only person who was a loss and not easily replaceable IMO was Kadary.

Really want to take the high road here. I loved Quincy as a player and was anxious to watch him continue to develop.

When he announced he was testing the waters, no issues with that. Absolutely the right thing to do.

When he entered the portal, I told my self he was just keeping all of his options open. Could still likely play for pay next year or even return to Syracuse.

But announcing the school he would ostensibly transfer to is a slap in the face. JB publicly stated that he had AA potential, said that his 3-point shooting improved significantly and would improve even more, said that he needs to develop his handle and put the ball on the floor driving to the hoop and mentioned the staff was working him on that. Basically everything he expected to hear from the NBA evaluators. Essentially made a commitment to help develop the skills Quincy needed to go to the next level.

He had the opportunity to take that step at Syracuse and chose to walk away. Not going to put the maloccio on him, but I won't wish him well either.

Really want to take the high road here. I loved Quincy as a player and was anxious to watch him continue to develop.

When he announced he was testing the waters, no issues with that. Absolutely the right thing to do.

When he entered the portal, I told my self he was just keeping all of his options open. Could still likely play for pay next year or even return to Syracuse.

But announcing the school he would ostensibly transfer to is a slap in the face. JB publicly stated that he had AA potential, said that his 3-point shooting improved significantly and would improve even more, said that he needs to develop his handle and put the ball on the floor driving to the hoop and mentioned the staff was working him on that. Basically everything he expected to hear from the NBA evaluators. Essentially made a commitment to help develop the skills Quincy needed to go to the next level.

He had the opportunity to take that step at Syracuse and chose to walk away. Not going to put the maloccio on him, but I won't wish him well either.
Agree with all of this, especially the dreaded maloccio. I will say though that i will wish him well, except against us. Bottom-line, the players are not stupid. Q likely saw what went down w/ PT management last coupla years, and decided that he wanted no parts of a crowded front court, especially one that would not feature him in the way he wants. Add in that JB can be an acquired taste and the kid figured he should move on. Not happy about it, but I understand.

Same for RF.

Syracuse..com posted an article yesterday saying he’s making his transfer decision (college choice) Thursday.

We backfilled behind including with a coaches kid...

I think people are having a hard time wrapping their head around the concept that a role player at Villanova might project as a starter at Syracuse.

The talent level at Villanova the past 3-5 years has far surpassed ours.
For me that’s not the issue. The issue for me is the narrative that Q was “ok” and that we are somehow better off without him. We are going to be a horribly unathletic perimeter team next year and maybe we win 30 games. But we are not a better team with the defections and the newcomers. Just a twisted narrative going on in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom